confidant91

• 33 replies
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Hey confidant91,

Welcome to the course!

I know we can help you to acquire the skills you need to climb the limits!

Glglglglglgl,

Marc
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey guys,

I am finally active player again. A lot has changed in my life in last half a year and i can play again. Still i won´t be able to play some huge volume due to school but i still think that it is still possible for me to move up to nl25 maybe try some shots on nl 50 this year. I would count this as big success if i can be a winnig reg on nl 25 before christmas.

Two weeks ago i have moved from nl2 fr to nl4sh and after 9k hands i am having decent profit. I know that 9k hand is not a big sample to judge and i can see lots of mistakes in my play so i have decided to study much more than i was used to. So thats why i am here. I hope that in next two month my game will improve and my bankroll will allow me to shot nl10.

Before i finish today i have one question. Can you explain me please how live coachings work now in this course? Are they planned specialy every weak for some lesson or i should watch the ones that are in the video section from past ?

Have a lot of luck at the tables

Jan
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      It is time to make my first homework in this course. So here we go :s_cool: :

:diamond: What is your motivation for playing poker?

My biggest motivation to play poker is that it is nowadays the only a the most interesting way how to try to make life changing money. And how much is it for me?
      Since i have always wanted to fly as commercial pilot I would need about 50k $. I think that it is possible to make it in three years if i focus on my skill and winrate.

:diamond: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Right now i think that i have a quite good mindset. I have solved my biggest problem with disruption and not focusing on 100% percent on play. So in my opinion my biggest leaks come from my bad play. Because of moving from NL 2fr to NL4 sh i fell much bigger pressure on blinds. I chcecked my profit from from sb and it show -30bb/100hand so it cost me all my profit from button :f_cry: . Maybe it is common but i want to improve it and become better in play without a position. A
      Other thing which is quite new for me is 3bet light. I like it a lot cause you can easily tilt other tag players and earn their money, but i still have troubles in my postflop play in 3bet spots if i got caught in doing this.

:diamond: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

It means to play clever poker in micro stakes :s_biggrin: . It works basically on two concepts. First one is that you choose only top hands preflop and second one is that you aggressively value bet all your made hands. Of course time to time you can find a good spot for your aggression where you can bluff out another tagplayer.
      What i have learned so far that bluffing fishs doesnt work so finally i am saving money in these spots :f_biggrin: .

Ok, i think that it is enough for today. I am to sleepy to write something else :s_grin: .

So good night all.

Jan
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Before i finish today i have one question. Can you explain me please how live coachings work now in this course? Are they planned specialy every weak for some lesson or i should watch the ones that are in the video section from past ?

Well, I advice would be to join with the live coachings, you can always prepare some questions for the coach and ask them during it and see how coach is playing. :) And of course you will have questions during the coaching.

Mindset is really important in poker and if you already have an edge there then it's very good! But don't forget still to keep it improving and getting stronger & stronger.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Other thing which is quite new for me is 3bet light. I like it a lot cause you can easily tilt other tag players and earn their money, but i still have troubles in my postflop play in 3bet spots if i got caught in doing this.

3betting light is that you also have to be familiar with preflop & postflop play. :) You might easily make even tilt yourself at the same time and if you don't even know postflop play then it's not that easy to play it profitable. Rather don't pick any fancy lines unless you are more confident in your postflop play.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      Hi,

i posted my first three hands for evaluating:

JJ nl4 sh
      AJo light 3bet nl4 sh
      KQo nl4 sh

i used to post my hands in our czech community but perhaps during this course i will post here :f_cool:
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach

As i want to track my way of progress which i hope that i will do :f_biggrin:
      here is for beginning my nl2 fr graf.

I was playing 14/10/4 style and started shotting nl4 sh after 20896 hands.
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      homework lesson 2:

:diamond: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I think that shc gives us an idea how to play when we sit down to completly unknown table. After gettings some info about table we have to ajdust our play.
      For example what i mostly use is isolating with fish. I do it with quite wide range but only if i am facing a guy how is often folding to our cbets. When i play versus calling station i play like a nitty player even more if i dont have a possition on him.
      Another time when i losen up my range even form utg is when i see big fishes on blind but i always firstly check who is sitting behind me, cause playing vs fish that calls all our cbets.

:diamond:D o you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

here is just one hand from todays session, later i will probably find more spots to evaluate

AJo nl4 sh

:diamond: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

My equilab says that we have 46.32%. Can zou tell me or give me some link for these mathematical concepts how they are counted?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

You are doing pretty good so far with your graph. :) Lets hope it continues like that. Very good job! And of course keeping progress is really good, especially those nice graphs which will motivate you playing when you have a downswing.

Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you planned to limp.

But I don't really agree about loosing up your range in FR game when you have a fish on the blinds and you are on UTG. It's really bad cause you have so many opponents behind you who will have position on you.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      Hm your comment about my utg range was obv right. Today i checked some basic stats how do i play this monht and i discovered them i am loosing some money from utg. :f_cool: Thank you for that, i am gonna thighten up my range again. :s_cool:
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      homework lesson 3:

:diamond: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

Well my tip was before flop them i am somewhere in coin flip and on this board my equity is about 35%.

Equilab says that preflop i am 50.78% favourite with KQs. On flop i am quite big underdog. Just 26.46% equity vs set.

:diamond: What would you do in the following hand?

Hm quite difficult situation. On this turn i am just calling. Because of his min raise i am getting odds something like 4:1. I think that it is enough because i have here fd and a gutshot. I am not sure what he is repping here, cause any over pair or set he will be betting on the flop. Maybe he is having a flashdraw as well,set of 55 or straight with his 44. So i think that if we raise here again we are just isolating ourselves into made hands.

:diamond: (edited)

JJ nl4 sh
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      Hello,

As the new month is here i would like to post a graph for last month and make some basic plan what i am gonna do and change this month.

First of all here is a graph:

I was quite satisfied with my play. I managed to be a winnig player on NL4 but still i am quite big fish. My red line was dropping constantly mostly because of trying to bluff calling stations :s_mad: .

So what i am gonna change this month? Mostly i am gonna focus on my studying. One of the best articles which i have read on ps is definitely The patterns in poker. I think that it is must read for every body. It influenced me to study in very different way than i was used. I hope that this more active form will make me more skillful. I think that i have to take more notes and try to think lot more during watching videos.

The last thing that i am gonna test this month is different open raise sizing. I use the 4bb every time. I fell that my stealing would be more profitable if i steal only for 3bb. So i am gonna change my style into 4bb utg and sb, MP and Co 3,5 bb and Bu 3bb. What do u think about that veriz? Whould it improve my red line and my overall winnings? :f_cool:
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      session: 5.3.2012

QQ nl4 sh
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      session: 6.3.2012

KQo nl4 sh
      AJo nl4 sh
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      My red line was dropping constantly mostly because of trying to bluff calling stations

Don't worry about that at all! If you play solid and standard poker it will be going downstairs. :) Rather try to find out your leaks and fix your game about red line later on.

Also about raise sizes I like it, seems to be fine. Try working out the best system for you and might even want to change on NL10.

Well done mate, you are doing really huge progress! Lets hope you move up again soon enough!
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      Hi,

This week is i am suffering from a little downswing. Till today i have played focused and i have been happy about my game.

But during todays session i made two awful , later i am gonna post some hands. So i decided to get a short break of poker sessions for this weekend. Also i have some work for my school that has to be done by Monday.
      So the only thing that i am gonna do today is to set up the studying plan for this week and finish this week´s lesson.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      That's a great idea, setting up a plan always works and helps you around. Gonna wait for the hands and good luck on the tables, lets hope you get out of the swing.
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      Hi Veriz,

it is unbelievable how big effort you are putting to help and motivate the beginners. Thumbs up for that :f_biggrin:
    • confidant91
      confidant91
      Coach
      Coach
      session: 9.3.2012

A3o nl4 sh
      A10o nl4 sh

session: 10.3.2012

AJo nl4 sh
      KK nl4 sh