Gloryne

• Gloryne
      Gloryne
      Bronze
      Hello all! I am from Greece!
      I am a member of PS for some time now, I have read some of the articles and play on and off for some months now. I feel I am getting better but overall I keep losing.
      I believe this course will help keep me on track and give me solid foundations in NL BSS.
      My goal is to be able to live off of poker in as little time as possible, but I realise I should not be in a hurry :)
      Thank you guys for all the great work you are putting. On my part I will be a good student to show you that your efforts are well respected.
  • 20 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Gloryne,

Welcome to Beginners Course!

My goal is to be able to live off of poker in as little time as possible, but I realize I should not be in a hurry
      ~ its a great sign you realized that poker will take a lot of time to master and discipline to be patience when it comes to your play.

Wish you best of luck at the tables
      Ingrid
    • Gloryne
      Gloryne
      Bronze
      Thank you very much!

Ok, now to the questions:

1. My motivation for playing poker is that it is a way of making money (a lot with enough skill) while at the same time improving myself a lot, with patience, discipline, psychology of other people and myself, analytical thinking. I have already started seeing changes in the way I behave and communicate with others :)
      I think poker is a very good self development tool.

2. I sometimes play tired, as a result of which I get bored easily and start playing stupidly. Also, sometimes I get carried away playing heads up in limits above my bankroll, because I am too bored to wait for the right cards in full ring. Luckily I haven't lost much. Now I am going to do exactly what I am supposed to do, following this course.

3. A tight aggresive player chooses very carefully which hands he plays. He plays only the better hands so that he has high probability to have the best hand after the flop. He usually enters a hand by raising and after the flop he usually continues to play aggressively (especially if he hits) or gives up the hand.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Gloryne,

Playing tired can cause a lot problems. Usually you are more moody when tired and get more easily angry. Which means you get easily tilty which is towards you playing less your A-game. You have to find a way to adjust to that. For example against tilt:
      Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

And playing over your BRM is just total gambling. When people tell me that poker is gambling I can disagree with them but when people playing over their BR then it's gambling. :) And good that you joined with the Course.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • Gloryne
      Gloryne
      Bronze
      Firstly, thank you for all your effort. I hope you will never give up making us better players :)

Now:

Question 1:

Firstly, I think I could raise with almost all the hands of the chart in SB instead of calling in order to steal, if on the button there is a tight player.

Secondly, with pairs I always call even in early position and if I get raised I follow the call 20 rule.

Question 2:

Here is my posted hand:

NL2 - JJ is a dangerous hand

The question regarding preflop play comes after your evaluation.
      You told me that I should preferably 3bet against his stack. Why is that? To put pressure on him and make him fold? Could you tell me a general rule to follow here?

Question 3:

46.32%
    • Gloryne
      Gloryne
      Bronze
      Question 1:

My equity preflop is 50.78%
      Postflop it becomes 26.46%

Question 2:

We have a flush draw, which, as we have the A, has 9 outs, therefore we need 4:1 pot odds to call, which we have, so we call. In this example we do not even need implied pot odds.

Question 3:

Here is the hand:

NL2 - KK with A on flop

And my question: After he called my contibet, should I still bet on
      the turn in such a situation?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Thanks for the great feedback. :) I will try to stick with PS as long I can.

Playing PPs can be in long run actually be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them. You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that.

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • Gloryne
      Gloryne
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have the initiative post-flop.

NL2 - KK with A on flop

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

NL2 SH - 77 Pre-Flop

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

My equity is 41.41%
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
    • Gloryne
      Gloryne
      Bronze
      I needed some extra time to complete my previous weeks' stuff.
      Also, I am never sure if I answer correctly to the questions, so it was OK for me :)

Now:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.

It was a bit difficult for me to find some hands in holdem manager with the parameters I wanted (me 3betting preflop) as I am still trying to figure out how everything works, so I am providing a link to an older hand I have posted in the forum.

NL2 - QQ vs maniac

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

Nl10 Kq

Question 3:

I would raise to 4$ because probably I have the best hand at the moment, but it needs protection, in case another diamond comes on the river. I wouldn't mind to even go all-in on the turn.

Question 4:

I would definitely donk bet here to protect my hand. 2/3 pot size.

That' s it for now. I hope I did OK :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Good luck on tables and with the School. Some more points earned.
    • Gloryne
      Gloryne
      Bronze
      Hello! This was a difficult week for me, as I was on tilt most of the time. I kept losing money (fortunately I had won some money on a tournament and it did not affect my bankroll, although maybe this was exactly the reason that I went on tilt, because I wanted to win back the lost money fast and I kept playing more and more stupidly). Anyway, I think I am thinking straight now. (Maybe I will also look more carefully for straights from now on) :D

By the way, the articles and videos on tilt and upswings/downswings and also your comments Veriz on my posted hands helped me a lot. Thanks!

On to the homework now:

Question 1:

I posted two hands, one for freeplay and one for Multiway pot.

Freeplay: NL2 - Pocket fives freeplay

Multiway pot : NL2 - Multiway pot

Question 2:

When I started writing the evaluation, noone had answered, but by the time I finished, you had already answered :(
      I hope it counts as a homework. If not, tell me and I will evaluate another one, although I don't feel very comfortable yet evaluating other people's hands because I feel that I know less about playing poker than most of them :)

nl6 fr QJ two pair on the flop

Question 3:

My first instinct was to call and probably this is what I would do, but thinking that calling stations almost never bet, he must have something very strong, like AJ or AQ. So I fold.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #6 Done!

Tilting is a common leak. :) That's what separate a good player and a bad player. You have to get used to loosing since you can't really win always in poker. :( There will be loosing sessions and you have to learn the maximum of it by posting hands and discussing with others.

And of course it counts as homework, even if I have evaluated it. :D

About Question #3:
      Two lines can quickly be discarded here: fold and raise/fold; your hand is simply too strong for those alternatives.

It's hard to assess whether you should put in a raise here. When a rather passive player decides to bet into three players while being out of position, it does look strong. It's more likely an indication of a made hand than that of a draw.

A raise naturally protects, but you run the risk of isolating yourself against very strong range. Which weaker hands could your opponent possibly continue playing here?

The deciding factor finally comes in the size of the pot. This tiny pot simply isn't worth putting yourself into a tough spot where you could potentially end up risking your entire stack. A raise would be overplayed here and pot control takes the precedent over protection.

Best of Luck on the tables and with the Course. Some more points earned.
    • Gloryne
      Gloryne
      Bronze
      Hello! These days I have put my time all in into poker!
      Also, I am happy to announce that I have started to win again, in small steps :)
      SH play is really interesting and it seems that I can play more the way I like. That is, to play with the opponents' minds a bit :D , although I have played only for 1 1/2 hr, so it is very soon to come to conclusions.

Next thing is to try to recognize ranges more. By the way, is there any article or video on ranges? I am not sure I know exactly how I am supposed to guess the ranges..

So, here is the homework for week 7:

Question 1:
      NL4 SH - Possible straight

Question 2:
      I did two. I am starting to like this!!

Nl2 Kk

NL2 55 vs AA

Question 3:
      The pot odds are 2.17:1. The odds are 2:1 (flush draw), so we call.

Question 4:
      We have TP/TK, a fairly strong hand. I would call and reevaluate on the turn.

Bye, and like Hasenbraten says on his videos:

I'm out!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #7 Done!

I am not sure I know exactly how I am supposed to guess the ranges..

Well, it's one of the skills which comes with time and practice and being active on the hand posting and stuff, thinking about your hand, watching videos. :) But mainly according the stats like VPIP/PFR/3bet/4bet etc.

About Question #3:
      In this case, you decided to bet out yourself and two players behind you go all-in. You would have to invest $8.40 in order to participate in a $22 pot, which corresponds to an equity of 27.63%.

Board: Q 3 2
      Dead:

Equity Win DrawLoss Hand
      Player 1: 38.538% 38.538% 0.000% 61.462% 5h4h
      Player 2: 14.540% 14.540% 0.000% 85.460% QQ+
      Player 3: 46.921% 46.921% 0.000% 53.079% 22-33

You get the required odds even when you're exclusively up against very strong hands!

About Question #4:
      Top pair / top kicker has been and will always be a hand that's tough to play, especially in a multi-way pot. In this case, you've hit a nice flop, but you're up against 3 opponents on a dry board which doesn't allow for any dangerous draws.

A fold on this board is, of course, too weak. You can't really hit much better and there might be worse Ax hands willing to pay you off.

If you think that your opponent(s) is/are often willing to go broke on the flop with worse hands, raising might not be the worst of choices. But one thing is clear: if you raise, you have to go all-in on the flop! Raise/fold with your top pair is absolutely out of question.

Even though this might leave a bitter aftertaste in a 4-way pot, you should play this like a way ahead / way behind spot here - by playing it passive, you will extract the maximum from weaker hands and bluffs while avoiding big losses against stronger hands.

Good luck on tables and with the School. Some more points earned.
    • Gloryne
      Gloryne
      Bronze
      Hey! At last I finished the final homework!

Question 1:
      Nl10 Fr - Kk

Question 2:

nl5 - AQ vs A2

Question 3:

In this situation I would play straightforwardly and bet ~$15 on the turn, since we completed our flush and there is not much possibility that he has a higher flush. If he raises I will call and check behind on the river.

Question 4:

Since he 3bets preflop and he is TAG, his range must be QQ+, AKo, AKs. He calls the bet on the flop, so he does not have AK. Therefore, when he reraises on turn he must have either QQ or KK, so he beats us and we fold. Putting this range of the opponent at the equilab, we see that we have 0 equity against him.

Now to do the final exams. Hope I 'll make it :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #8 Done!

About Question #3:
      In this case, the right answer is quite obvious. Both AF and WTS speak in favor of a check behind for bluff induce. But your hand is too strong here, so you want to get it all-in on the turn. There are a lot of hands you still have to protect against, too. Playing for bluff induce or pot control would simply be too weak and dangerous.

About Question #4:
      About preflop play I'd say that it's still doable while we even are a bit deeper. I expect the hero to play solid postflop play. So Calling is definitely fine here with having 2 opponents in the hand and getting great implied odds. But for more beginners it's deifnitely a very close spot while they ain't gonna be able to laydown weak hands.

As we have the information that CO is a TAG player. Therefore, we expect him to have a strong 3bet range. Unless we have some other information like he has a wide 3bet range. But while we don’t have that, we basically consider his range to be something QQ+, AK or sometimes even tighter.

So now you have to ask yourself what kind of hands would play like this on river? KK may slowplay like this. QQ definitely is as well in his range. AK/AA he wouldn’t play this way since he know himself as well that he isn’t going to get Called by worse hands. So basically it’s up to the nuts most often. You only beat bluff there and I don’t expect the opponent to bluff in this case unless we know the table dynamics better.

Best of Luck in The Exam! Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Your exam is done and evaluated!

I would now advice to take a look at the No Limit Advanced Learning path. Which is located here: No Limit Advanced Learning Path. Although it's without any homework but it's still a path which will help you get the understanding of more advanced stuff. Although it may require higher ranks. Some may require even Gold status.

You are still welcome to use this thread for your progress and if you face any questions about your play/stats or anything you want to ask. Also don't hesitate to continue posting hands which I will be most likely evaluating.

About your exam:
      You did take the exam really seriously and that's only good since the more seriously you take poker the more likely it will be that you invest enough time into to it to become a good poker player. I did really like the answers of yours. Although of course as most of the students you had also problems with the math tasks, needs still improvement. But well, it's more advanced part so I wouldn't really be worried about that! You did really great overall.

We most likely gonna continue evaluating your hands and of course your overall progress in this thread in future. We still have some leaks to fix.

Do you have any questions about the exam?

Good Luck on the Tables and with the next learning Path. If you have any questions don't hesitate to hop in your Locker Room thread and ask or post your progress.
    • Gloryne
      Gloryne
      Bronze
      Thank you very much for all that you have offered me so far :)

I took a little break for a while because I had some things to attend to, but now I am back :s_cool:

So, about the exam, as a matter of fact I do have a question:
      There were some questions which asked about "call equity", if I remember correctly.
      I thought that equity was only about "all in" situations and we use pot odds and implied pot odds for calling.. Am I missing something here?

Thanks Veriz,

keep up the good work!

:)