ollehult

• ollehult
      ollehult
      Bronze
      Hi there,

I took part in and started playing BSS during last school, but I think I signed up with pokerstrategy and started playing like a year ago. The plan was to only take part, learn a lot and understand big stacks better during my time in the first BSS school (because I were trying out the MSS), but now I'm completely hooked on BSS and just couldn't turn down an opportunity to take part in another school :) .

Also I missed some of the calculations in the exam so I hope to get my revenge in this schools exam.

I'm currently playing FR mostly NL10 but recently started mixing it up with some NL20 tables as well.

What I hope to achieve here at the school would be to improve my postflop play, get a better grasp of continuations bets, squeezes, isolating fishes etc. and hopefully all this would lead to me being comfortable open up my otherwise rather nitty play and perhaps move on to play sh.
  • 3 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi ollehult,

Congrats to your successfully finished school and welcome to the Beginners School again! :heart:

As you are already experienced, it would be great if you help the beginners a little bit ;)

Ingrid
    • ollehult
      ollehult
      Bronze
      I'll be happy to help the newer players if they seek my expertise ;)

I figure some of the homework's will be the same I might copy paste some from the old course, but if my view has change I will of course write a new answer.

First homework

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

Well I always loved playing games chess, monopoly, computer games you name it, as I grew older I liked games where the choices you made really decided the outcome such as chess, poker etc. instead if games dice controlled games that often are decided purely on luck. So I guess I love the challenge part of poker. Nonetheless, the fact that every time I lose I lose some of my hard earned money surely also does its fair share for my motivation.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Wow was interesting to review what I answered last time.

These are the weaknesses I mentioned in the last school:

"Bad at reevaluating my hand on later streets
      Overvalue small sample HUD stats
      Bad at putting villains on hand ranges
      Following charts to much
      Stay and play to clear bonuses even though I don't feel like playing"

I think I have been able to overcome some and changed my thoughts on some so my currently biggest weaknesses are:

Bad at reevaluating over pairs on later streets
      Playing a bit too tight
      My contibet’s are way too high/ spewing away money without hitting when I have initiative.
      Still not thinking to much about what range my opponent can have
      Being really angry at myself when I miss play a hand (not sure if it really that bad cause I guess it helps me remember that hand and not do it again)

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

My old definition may not be perfect but I still think it will do:

"Tight aggressive mean that you apply a tight hand range (play few hands) and then you play those hands aggressively (you raise or fold). It works because you create fold equity by raising (taking down pots even thought you don't have the best hand) and because it’s difficult for you opponents to know what hand you hold (if you 3x a wide range on the button the opponent after you can’t know if you are betting QJs or pocket Aces.) "
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello ollehult,

I would say that playing a bit tight is totally normal. Rather play tighter than too loose. :)

Most of the other weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands. We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part. That will definitely help you remember the hand as well if you get some negative feedback.

Good luck in the Course. Earned your first points.