• ruiduarte77
      Hi, I am ruiduarte77 from Portugal and I have been around for some time in Poker Strategy. I learned about poker from a colleague at the university and tried to learn how to play. I googled for poker schools and found the best: My adventure with real money in poker started with the initial capital from poker strategy. Since then I have lost two 50$ bank rolls from poker strategy and decided to take a serious approach on poker study. After that I reconstructed my bank roll in several sites using freerolls and playing FL. I am mostly a FL and casually MTT player but always wanted to learn NL. This course seems the perfect opportunity :f_biggrin:
  • 3 replies
    • purplefizz
      hi ruiduarte77,

welcome to our beginner's school! i can sense something cool brewing in here ;)
      under construction, huh? hope it will be worth the wait!

gl and hope you have fun learning with us :)

• ruiduarte77
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

At first my motivation was just curiosity, I had a friend who played and decided to see why everybody was doing it. My first impressions were that the game was very simple and it all resumed to proper hand selection pré-flop. What a! After some hands I discovered that I had serious issues dealing with the luck factor of the game, tilted very often, and was pushed to leveling wars a lot. I went broke twice with the PokerStrategy money, after which I realize that there is more to this game than meets the eye. Since them my motivation is to become a better and more controlled poker player; have a hobby that generates some additional income; improve my ability to accept factors that I do not control; keep my objectivity in face of bad beats, and having a loud laugh when breaking some villain limped pocket AA….lol!

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are doing during your games? Are you playing while tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write as many as you think are affecting you.)

My greatest weakness comes from the fact that I sometimes tilt and then try to recover the pots lost against a specific villain that gave me a bad beat or hit some miracle card on the river. Another mistake I often do is not paying attention to which villain I can play top pair top kicker in face of aggression and to which ones I should fold. Normally I tend to classify the whole table as loose or tight and thus make some mistakes playing against specific players that are different from the remaining at the table.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is, and why does it work.)

The tight aggressive play is the art of balancing a positional aware tight range of pré-flop hands with selectively aggressive bets, and still be able to pull the brakes when all the red lights of the post-flop action tells you that you are beat.
      The tight range of hands played according to the position on the table allows us to have an advantage over the typical villains. The aggressive betting allows us to extract value from our good hands, makes it expensive for the villains to pursuit their draws, and induces pressure on the villains forcing them to make mistakes. This aggressiveness should be selective and one must recognize when the villain has us beaten, despite the money we already invested, and fold. The ability to pull the breaks when necessary allows the tight aggressive player to minimize its losses.
    • veriz
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Also reading from your text that you very likely have problems with playing TP type of hands. Pretty sure that you even overplay them and not giving respect to other opponents where you should actually. Sometimes it's even better to fold the best hand. You ain't gonna be a good poker player if you at least once haven't folded the best hand. :D You can't win all the pots unfortunately. :( Maybe you could try posting some hands and we can analyze them together (into Hand Evaluation forums).

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.