denetomtom

• 18 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi denetomtom,

welcome to the school! we hope this will help you with your transition from sng's to cash. im trying to do the same but opposite :f_biggrin:

have fun and good luck!

smiles,
      wendy
    • denetomtom
      denetomtom
      Bronze
      Hi......well here we go my attempt at the first weeks homework.

Apple in the post for teacher :)

Look forward to your comments
      Dene

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

What I would love to get out of poker is to be able to stop working my 9 to 5 job and play poker full time. So basically my initial aim is to improve, improve and improve. Hence the reason for joining this course.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

My main weaknesses are probably playing too many hands and getting pushed off so many hands because of aggresive players.
      Need to learn to be more aggressive myself but I think this will come with a better understanding of the game.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

To play tight-aggressive means that you choose your starting hands carefully, folding all bad hands, and when you do enter a pot you do so with a raise.

This is a winning strategy because by betting and raising with only strong starting hands, you maximize both the amount and your chances of winning.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello denetomtom,

Thanks for the Apple! :)

About playing poker as full time I wouldn't really advice to switch over so fast. Try rather at first become a mid-stakes grinder and then after maybe a year or so if you have been doing and earning solid winnings with poker then you can always switch. But keep in mind to have some back-up plan for yourself. You can't be sure that you will be able to live with poker money forever. That's why I am trying to finish my university 1st.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands. We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • denetomtom
      denetomtom
      Bronze
      Sorry its late but been really busy at work. So thanks for your comments on last post but I wasnt intending giving my day job up, just yet!! dont think I could survive on $0.5 a day winnings. lol

It was just a dream but a dream I would like to fullfill but I have a really lot to learn before that day comes. :P

So on with this weeks home work.

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?

I think what the shc dosnt take into consideration is the possibilty of blind steals when you are in the sb, one such as in the sss. For example everyone folds except for sb and bb.

SB holding 99 bss shc says only call but according to equilab equity for a pair of 9s against a random hand is 72% even agains AKs you have 52%.

So why let bb see a free flop and run possibity of being out drawn.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play.

KT in sb on paired board against bb

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?

According to equilab the equity of AKo against the top 5% of hands is 46.32%.

Look forward to your comments and enjoyed the live coaching, will also down load the pod cast so can go through it again cos there were a few points I missed.

Keep up the great work.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

I do prefer also raising with PPs rather than limping. Playing PPs can be in long run actually be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them. You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that.

If you have any feedback to the coaching or sometimes even some cool links are posted inside the feedback thread like links for the excel sheet, some youtube links read it for news:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=146167
      For example "The Best Motivation" clip from youtube, watch it. :)

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • denetomtom
      denetomtom
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz just like to say I really enjoyed the last coaching, in fact enjoyed it that much I downloaded the podcast.

I think the podcasts are a great idea for the coaching because sometimes I dont think of a question untill after the coaching has finished then its too late. But with podcast I can usually find the answer I need.

Also the format is great, I find I can learn a lot more with this sort of coaching than sitting there watching someone play 4 or more tables.

I think playing 4+ LIVE tables is not very helpful, well not for me any way, if they are recorded and you were to analyse your games then this is when it is better because you have more time to give us your reasoning for the plays you made.

So my opinion is NO to live play and YES to the theory format and the analysis format.

So onto week 3 homework:

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity

against an opponent who has 33?

Equity of your KQ = 50.78%
      Equity of villan 33 = 49.22%

How does the equity change on the following flop: J53?

Equity of your KQ = 26.46%
      Equity of villan 33 = 75.54%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

To start with hero was correct to play the hand pre flop and

raise to 8.

Flop: Here I think he should have conti bet because the board

is pretty dry and he has overcards. Plus you need to find out

where you are in the hand.

Turn: Villian makes a pot size raise, so question is, is he

holding a 4 and just made his straight or has he a 5 and just

paired the board and finally is he bluffing.

Pot size 25 + 22 + 44 =91

Hero must call another 22 so getting odds of 91/22 = 4.1

So to make this a break even call it only has to succeed 1 in 5

times.

Conclusion: Think villian is bluffing so make the call.

Question 3: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a

question regarding your post-flop play.

On this hand I would like to know if I played the turn and

river too passively.

Hand link

NL2 BSS was JJ played too passive?

Thanks Veriz, look forward to your comments
      Dene
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

Well, yep. I am gonna hold more and more Theory part which definitely will include hand discussion and after that we can always play. :) I am usually never playing more than 4 tables unless I am doing the coaching with someone. Just no point, I can't explain everything and can't even answer the questions when playing more tables.

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • denetomtom
      denetomtom
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz thanks for your explantion on Question 3 and Im glad I actual came to the same conclusion as you. yeah lol.

Thought the coaching was great, couldnt get to the live coaching due to work but the podcast was great. Am going to try and finish earlier next week so I can attend live coaching and get my questions answered.

So on to this weeks homework.

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have the

initiative post-flop.

NL2 BSS JJ on a paired flop

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other

members.

Sh Nl 10 Jj

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J,

9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this

spot?

Assuming flop is all rainbow then your equity for kqs and kqo

is 41.98%

Thanks Veriz, look forward to your comments
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

Well, if you have any feedback to the coaching please feel free to write it into the Coaching thread. :) Also would be great to have once a while in the coaching if you have time.

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
    • denetomtom
      denetomtom
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz

Homework for week 5

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based

your decisions on the stats of your opponents.

Here is the link for my answer:

NL2 BSS AKo wrong bluff

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other

members.

Here is the link for my answer:

Nl6 Fr Kk 25.09

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6 , 7
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3 , 3 , T (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) J (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

Answer
      With this hand I think I would be inclined to push with rest of my stack.

Reason: I have a strong hand which could be beaten depending on

river card and if villans have at least 1 diamomnd in hand.

So need to protect my hand.

Secondly because Im going to bet, which would be $4, leaving me about $5 for river bet.

So if only get 1 caller pot size will be about $9.

Then if bet river AI pot is $14 giving villan good odds to call.

Conclusion: AI on turn and force villans to make decision before seeing river.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J , J
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds,

Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6 , 9 , T (2 players)
      Hero...

Answer:
      On this hand I would continuation bet about $2.

Reason: I have decent hand but is vunerable so need to protect. Im assuming with villans stats his likely 3bet range would be about 5% (88+,AJs+,KQs,AKo) but with his wtsd stat of 26% Im thinking he is only going to sd with good hands so if he has hit this flop he will call/raise and I will have to re evaluate the turn.

Thanks for taking time to look at this Veriz

See you in the coaching.
    • denetomtom
      denetomtom
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz here is home work week 6

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have either a) freeplay, b) slowplay, or c) multi-way pot situation.

Freeplay hand
      NL2 BSS AQo with loose passive villan

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

nl2 - Should I have folded AA on the river?

$25 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($25) rock
      UTG+2 ($25)
      MP1 ($25)
      MP2 ($25) LAG
      MP3 ($25) maniac
      CO ($25)
      Hero BU ($25)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($25) calling station

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q , J
      5 folds, MP3 raises $1.00, CO calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, 1

fold, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.10) 3 , J , A (4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.10) Q (4 players)
      BB bets $2.05, 2 folds, Hero...?

Answer:In this situation I would tend to fold, the reasons being:

1)As stated BB is a calling station so assuming he has very poor pre flop hand selection then he will call with just about anything, so his call pre flop is probably usual but obviously he likes his 2 cards to call raise. PP/Ax/broadway initial range maybe even sc.

2)AJ3 on flop would imagine BB likes this flop as probably hit his range. presume not hit him that hard or he would have bet so he follows his usaual line of just check/call.

3)Turn=Q ok we hit our 2 pair great! however BB has bet, for a calling station this is way out of character unless he has hit. So possible holdings Q3s,QT dont think he has any Ace because think he would have bet flop so that rules out AJ.

Could still be drawing to flush but more than likely has made his TJQKA. So as stated I would fold to his $2 bet.

Look forward to your comments.

• veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Hopefully you did see that there are coming new such offers about the public private coachings? In two different ways, hop in the Coaching thread of ours. :)

Good luck on tables and with the School. Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #6 Done!

About Question #3:
      Two lines can quickly be discarded here: fold and raise/fold; your hand is simply too strong for those alternatives.

It's hard to assess whether you should put in a raise here. When a rather passive player decides to bet into three players while being out of position, it does look strong. It's more likely an indication of a made hand than that of a draw.

A raise naturally protects, but you run the risk of isolating yourself against very strong range. Which weaker hands could your opponent possibly continue playing here?

The deciding factor finally comes in the size of the pot. This tiny pot simply isn't worth putting yourself into a tough spot where you could potentially end up risking your entire stack. A raise would be overplayed here and pot control takes the precedent over protection.

Good luck on tables and with the Course. Some more points earned.
    • denetomtom
      denetomtom
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz

here is the homework for week 7, only 1 week left!

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have played on a 6-max table

(short-handed).
      Nl2 AT passive play 6max

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members

Nl2 Fr Qq Utg1

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB (Hero) ($10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5h , 4h
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) 3s , 2h , Qh (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.20, CO Raises All-in, BU calls All-in, SB folds, Hero...

Answer: Push all in.

Reason: You have 8 cards to make your straight and 9 - 2 = 7 cards for FD

Total outs is 15 so you are 60% favorite to make your hand by the river

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO (Hero) ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Ac , Ks
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) As , 4c , 4d (4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $1.20, Hero...

Answer: 3bet to $3.60

Reason:To find out if BB has the other 4 and if not then to extract as mush value from weaker aces.

Look forward to your comments.

Best Regards Dene

• veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #7 Done!

About Question #3:
      In this case, you decided to bet out yourself and two players behind you go all-in. You would have to invest $8.40 in order to participate in a $22 pot, which corresponds to an equity of 27.63%.

Board: Q 3 2
      Dead:

Equity Win DrawLoss Hand
      Player 1: 38.538% 38.538% 0.000% 61.462% 5h4h
      Player 2: 14.540% 14.540% 0.000% 85.460% QQ+
      Player 3: 46.921% 46.921% 0.000% 53.079% 22-33

You get the required odds even when you're exclusively up against very strong hands!

About Question #4:
      Top pair / top kicker has been and will always be a hand that's tough to play, especially in a multi-way pot. In this case, you've hit a nice flop, but you're up against 3 opponents on a dry board which doesn't allow for any dangerous draws.

A fold on this board is, of course, too weak. You can't really hit much better and there might be worse Ax hands willing to pay you off.

If you think that your opponent(s) is/are often willing to go broke on the flop with worse hands, raising might not be the worst of choices. But one thing is clear: if you raise, you have to go all-in on the flop! Raise/fold with your top pair is absolutely out of question.

Even though this might leave a bitter aftertaste in a 4-way pot, you should play this like a way ahead / way behind spot here - by playing it passive, you will extract the maximum from weaker hands and bluffs while avoiding big losses against stronger hands.

Good luck on tables and with the School. Some more points earned.
    • denetomtom
      denetomtom
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz here is my attempt at week 8 home work.

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation.

Answer:
      NL2 BSS A8s bet/check turn

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

Answer:
      NL2 - AQo

$100 NL Hold'em (9 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($100)
      UTG+1 ($100)
      MP1 ($100)
      MP2 ($100)
      Hero ($100)
      CO ($100)
      BU ($100)
      SB ($100)
      BB ($100) (18/15/3.7/23/732)[VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8 , 9
      4 folds, Hero raises to $4.00, 3 folds, BB calls $4.00

Flop: ($8.50) 3 , 6 , 8 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $5.50 BB calls $5.50

Turn: ($19.50) J (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero...

Answer:

From stats it looks like BB is a TAG who is overly aggressive and only goes to showdown with strongish hands.

In this situation I think we are way behind or way in front and as such would play for a cheap showdown.

Check turn and check/call river (only call river if its small bet by villian)

Question 4 (optional question): Consider the following situation:

$200 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      MP2 (Hero) ($327.95)
      MP3 ($207.45)
      CO ($415.55) (TAG)
      BU ($373.60) (TAG)
      SB ($200.00)
      BB ($218.00)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7 , 8
      Hero raises to $7, 1 folds, CO raises to $23, BU calls $23, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $16

Flop: ($72) 7 , 8 , 8 (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BU bets $52, Hero calls, CO calls

Turn: ($228) K (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BU checks

River: ($228) Q (3 players)
      Hero bets $110, CO raises to $340.55 (All-in), BU folds, Hero?

What factors and concepts that you have learned so far would you use in evaluating this situation? What would your action be?

Answer:

Factors to take into consideration:
      Pre Flop:
      Stack sizes
      Type and number of opponents
      My position
      My cards
      Action before my turn
      My plan on how to play this hand

Flop:
      Board texture
      Villians actions
      Strength of my hand
      How to play this street and revise my initial plan to maximise my winnings

Turn/River
      As flop play plus odds and outs

As played I think I would call in this situation, its another way behind or way ahead situation.

Either villian has got 2 pair with the KQ which would make sense with his calls pre flop and on the flop, in which case we are way a head, or

Villian slow played KK/QQ in which case we are way behind.

Either way we are getting nearly 3/1 on a call so close eyes and push your stack in the middle.

Look forward to your comments
      Regards denetomtom

• veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #8 Done!

About Question #3:
      In this case, the right answer is quite obvious. Both AF and WTS speak in favor of a check behind for bluff induce. But your hand is too strong here, so you want to get it all-in on the turn. There are a lot of hands you still have to protect against, too. Playing for bluff induce or pot control would simply be too weak and dangerous.

About Question #4:
      About preflop play I'd say that it's still doable while we even are a bit deeper. I expect the hero to play solid postflop play. So Calling is definitely fine here with having 2 opponents in the hand and getting great implied odds. But for more beginners it's deifnitely a very close spot while they ain't gonna be able to laydown weak hands.

As we have the information that CO is a TAG player. Therefore, we expect him to have a strong 3bet range. Unless we have some other information like he has a wide 3bet range. But while we don’t have that, we basically consider his range to be something QQ+, AK or sometimes even tighter.

So now you have to ask yourself what kind of hands would play like this on river? KK may slowplay like this. QQ definitely is as well in his range. AK/AA he wouldn’t play this way since he know himself as well that he isn’t going to get Called by worse hands. So basically it’s up to the nuts most often. You only beat bluff there and I don’t expect the opponent to bluff in this case unless we know the table dynamics better.

Best of luck in exam! Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Your exam is done and evaluated!

I would now advice to take a look at the No Limit Advanced Learning path. Which is located here: No Limit Advanced Learning Path. Although it's without any homework but it's still a path which will help you get the understanding of more advanced stuff. Although it may require higher ranks. Some may require even Gold status.

You are still welcome to use this thread for your progress and if you face any questions about your play/stats or anything you want to ask. Also don't hesitate to continue posting hands which I will be most likely evaluating.

About your exam:
      You did take the exam really seriously and that's only good since the more seriously you take poker the more likely it will be that you invest enough time into to it to become a good poker player. I did really like the answers of yours. Although of course as most of the students you had also problems with the math tasks, needs still improvement. But well, it's more advanced part so I wouldn't really be worried about that! You did really great overall.

We most likely gonna continue evaluating your hands and of course your overall progress in this thread in future. We still have some leaks to fix.

Do you have any questions about the exam?

Good Luck on the Tables and with the next learning Path. If you have any questions don't hesitate to hop in your Locker Room thread and ask or post your progress.