donkey71

• 8 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi donkey71,

welcome to our beginner's school! hopefully you will learn many things which will improve your game. :)

smiles,
      wendy
    • donkey71
      donkey71
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

My motivation for playing poker comes from the challenge it gives me. can i learn how to play better, can i figure out why i lose in certain spots, why can i not beat a limit im sure im better than. Why does suffering one bad beat cause me to lose several buy ins and the screen on my lap top etc ..etc I have been playing poker for 4 years starting with freerolls on ultimate bet and fulltilt to short-handed and now fullring on the micro stakes. i love the game ,im obsessed by it. My motivation has always been to become a better player it just seems to be taking an extremely long time.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

My biggest weakness is patience. If i lose 20BB in the first 15min of a session then im certain that im playing terrible cant possibly win and should quit immediately. Other weakness are calling when i know im beat because i cant lay down for example Q-Q to a player i consider a fish on a K-7-5 flop and calling when i think im being bluffed even when i myself have nothing. As you can see my fear of being made to feel like a fool is self perpetuating lol.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

To play tight-aggressive means to have a strong starting hand selection, to be the raiser rather than the caller and to make your opponents, who should by default often have weaker starting hands make decisions. To be the aggressor rather than the player tying to dael with opponents pressure. Playing tight aggressive then means a tight opening range, playing in position more than out of position and asking questions of your oppenents rather than the other way round.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Winning 20BB in one session is nothing. Just don't let yourself motivate from that loss. Of course if you are always gonna think and watch the money you lost you gonna start to think about that. But rather ignore it and continue playing. If you start to think of the lost money then you will as well start tilting. For example against tilt I'd advice:
      Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • donkey71
      donkey71
      Bronze
      Thanks Veriz i think your comment about not being overly concerned about a small loss, especially at the beginning of a session, is something i need to, and am working on. i tend to feel that people are trying to bluff me after the first re-raise or 3bet. Its definatley my biggest weakness at the moment and my last few sessions have been spent trying to recover from donking of my money early on, which at best has been leaving me breakeven at the end of the game.
      Also while i have the chance i like to thankyou for your time and effort in the coaching that i have seen, and that has for sure helped my game.
      thanks ian.
    • donkey71
      donkey71
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?

JJ/10-10 call 20 - player dependant i think that IP against loose/passive opponent i can often 3bet these hands to take it down pre or with c-bet on the flop

9-9 - see above

A-K 1 player raised - against nitty players i have had some problems post-flop and weak as it is often choose just to call here.

A-9s/A-2 - no much here but i have reduced it to A-9/A-5s in late pos if no one has entered the pot. due i think to the very fishy stakes i play on.

KQs-J-10s- Again at the small stakes i play with one caller im am often raising these hands.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play.

nl2 BSS A-Q v weak 3bet &overcall

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?

46.3 %
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

JJ-TT is definitely way overplayed if you are always going to 4bet/Push or whatsoever. I am pretty sure you ain't gonna play those hands very profitable. It's really opponent dependent and without reads we can't do it profitable. Since at the best we anyways get a coinflip.

The same actually goes for AK type of hand. It's way too often overplayed. You practically at the best get a coinflip again with the hand and against standard reg or a bit tigher guy you might be even in bad shape rather than in good. Have to pick the spots where you should 3bet and where not, plus of course the opponents against you should. Sometimes you might even turn your hand into bluff by 3bet/Folding for example. Also going for just a Call ain't wrong either.

AXs hands are good to even isolate and take the initiative. You don't have always to limp the hand and play it postflop. While you could easily just take down the pot by raising preflop or either way even with CBet postflop. As you mentioned even with the suited broadways, you can do the same.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • donkey71
      donkey71
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

1/ pre-flop = 50.78
      post-flop =we have 26.46

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

i think this is a difficult decision, we are getting around 4-1 pot odds, but if we give the opponent a hand that includes a 4 for the straight or i think more likely a set, then we are not getting the correct price to call. i think the implied-odds would give us the correct price around 6-1 if the opponent doesn't read us for a flush or would call anyway if we hit. however with a possible two flush draws out there (diamonds/clubs) it may be more likely we get called. In the end i think i probably call but depends what info i have on player.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation: nl2 FR J-10s post-flop play??
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.