themagpiespg

• themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      Hi my names Steve I've played poker for some time now and want brush up on my game, as I'm playing the micro nl02 short handed at the moment. I'm also learning to play Stud hi and razz.

I decided to do this course as I've been away for poker for about 8 month and started to play again in April when I got a second starting capital from ps (ps rules). :s_cool:

I'm looking forward to the course and improving my game.
  • 16 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey Steve,

Welcome to the Beginners Poker Course!

You have been a very active member in the forum and we absolutely love that. It's always good to see members become active all the time and get involved in all things PokerStrategy.

I wish you every success in the course and hope you can improve beyond your wildest expectations!

All the best,
      Gary
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

So I can make some money. and to improve my game.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Not leaving tables when I should and some times being too aggressive post flop and not slowing down when I should.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

Tight-aggressive is choosing the hands u play carefully and having a plan for the hand (tight), taking the lead post flop and on the flop where appropriate also on later street when you know you are ahead of your opponent and can bet for value, also when needed bet for protection as you will have the initiative. (aggressive).
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello themagpiespg,

Most likely if you can't leave the tables then you as well have problem with tilting, but try to fight against tilt.

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Good luck in the Course. Earned your first points.
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      Thanks but it's not tilt in the normal way I have the problem with, it leaving the tables when I'm in profit and end up losing my profit some times, it probably because I get greedy and don't leave, so I guess it is a form of tilt as at the point I should leave the tables I'm over confident and probably not playing my a game at that point as a result.

As for the normal type of I'm steamed tilt, when I fell I'm getting annoyed and starting to go on tilt that way I leave the tables.

Thanks, you made me think about that and that has help me see the problem in a new light and hope fully I can do something about it (i.e. Set a time limit on the session and just leave at the end of that time.)

Cheers
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      That's good. :) That's our point of the project. It's very true that it's some way of tilt that you ain't want to leave the tables but practically if you ain't leaving the tables this as well means you gonna loose more money if you are already a lot down and don't play your A-game. :(
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      I have a couple of question to ask.

1 What stop loss limit should I set for my self when I'm in profit on a table?

2 I've already ready set my self a stop loss limit of 2 buy in per table and 5 buy in for a session, is this a reasonable stop loss limit (e.g. if I say 2.5 buy in up, with a buy in being 100 bb's.)?

Look forward to your reply.
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      Did I play the hand correctly

Should I have fold the turn

Was my pre flop call the correct decision here
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      TPGG Way ahead/way behind?
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      Where my odds correct to call preflop
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black

Try starting with 3BIs and then adjusting to your own possibilities. Might even add BIs, might even take away. Depends really how you feel more comfortable. Also depends how many tables you play.

2 I've already ready set my self a stop loss limit of 2 buy in per table and 5 buy in for a session, is this a reasonable stop loss limit (e.g. if I say 2.5 buy in up, with a buy in being 100 bb's.)?

For the beginning I might even set a bit less. But if you feel secure playing 5BIs then sure why not. Depends really how many hands you daily/monthly play.
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz

Try starting with 3BIs and then adjusting to your own possibilities. Might even add BIs, might even take away. Depends really how you feel more comfortable. Also depends how many tables you play.

For the beginning I might even set a bit less. But if you feel secure playing 5BIs then sure why not. Depends really how many hands you daily/monthly play.
      I normally play 2 to 4 tables and I use a very conservative BR management at the moment of 50+ BI for the level I'm playing at the moment.

Thanks for the answering my questions.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      It's very good even to use such a conservative BRM. :) Would even recommend using it rather than the aggressive one with 25BIs. On higher limits you wont come through with it.
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?

You could steal with a wider range of hands for the CO and BU if the villains still to act are of the correct player types i.e. very tight (a rock, tight passive, or a TAG that does not defend in the blinds ) with these types of player you can steal with a very wide range of hands.

The types of hands you can add to your steal range are suited 1 gappers, Kxs and off suited connectors.

You can also steal with these hands from loose passive player that fold a lot on the flop and if you hit a monster you can sometimes get there entire stack as these types of player with stick with very weak hands. But if You have not made a strong hand and they play back at you then you should fold.

But on the hole these are profitable hand to play when stealing the blinds.

From some villains you can even steal any 2 as they only ever play back at you if they have a value starting hand when they do play back you just have to fold your steal hand.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play.

pre flop question

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?

The equity of AKo against the top 5% of hands is 46.32%.
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      Hi I have a quick question.

You open raise and villain 3bet and u hold 66 to 99 and you know the villain is 3betting light is and doesn't have 15 x the bet size left (so a call is out of the question ) is a 4 bet in this situation a profitable play?

Thanks.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by themagpiespg
      Hi I have a quick question.

You open raise and villain 3bet and u hold 66 to 99 and you know the villain is 3betting light is and doesn't have 15 x the bet size left (so a call is out of the question ) is a 4 bet in this situation a profitable play?

Thanks.
      Vs light 3bettor we can't Call that easily for set value. Since we can't be sure that we will even get paid. It's most likely rather a fold. Against some opponents on whom we might even have perfect reads we might even 4bet, but if rather not then just fold. Unless he really gives you great odds. If you find any of those hands then just post and we can take a loot at them.