w4terman

• w4terman
      w4terman
      Bronze
      Hi everyone my name is panagiotis i am from greece and 33 years old :)

I am playing poker about 15month and last year i am trying to improve!
      I got my starting capital at partypoker and started at nlh4 i reach my bankroll to 270$ before some days and i jump to nlh10.

Thank all for now :)
  • 69 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Hi Panagiotis,

Welcome to the NL Beginners Course!

Wow, big congratulations on your successes so far. Thats quite an achievement and I hope you can continue it with some dedication and hard work during this course :)

All the best,

Gary
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Silver
      Hey w4terman,

Welcome to the Beginners Course! I see you have some experience with cashgames. How are they treating you at the moment?

Your bankrollmanagement seems to be spot on, 25-30 buy-ins at this level are a safe bet. Best of luck during this course!

All the best,

NIVEKii
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Silver
      Booo HollyMichelle! You beat me to my first welcome post :D
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Sorry NIVEKII!

Just gotta be quicker mate ;)
    • w4terman
      w4terman
      Bronze
      Hi both :)

At my first 3 sessions i was up 55$ at around 4k hands reaching my bankroll at 324$ ! after that my next 3 days was very bad mostry cause i was playing bad and kidna tilt :) manage to loose 135$ in 3days...

After that hit i decide that if i dont wanna go to nlh4 again i should be more focused and play better ... so after droped to 190$ before 2 days i am up to 218$ again playing good again.

loosing that 135$ was so waste of time and stupid of me ... i was looking the hands at holdem manager i was so impressed with my mistakes

Thats all for now i only forgot to say that i am playing 6 or 8 tables
    • w4terman
      w4terman
      Bronze
      Do the homework!

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

Well my main motivation is my willingness to improve not only to poker but in general when I am giving time to something I wanna be good to it! So my goal is to reach as high as I can and play study to achieve it. Money of course is a big motivation to but it’s too early for this yet :)

My dream is to be able to live while playing poker that I like that much!

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are doing during your games? Are you playing while tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write as many as you think are affecting you.)

Well my main weakness is that I am playing very carefully and passive sometimes leading to miss a lot of value. Also sometimes if I am not very focused and disciplined I call too many 3bet with hands like AJ small pairs OOP from really tight players.

I also don’t 3bet a lot with hands like AK AQ QQ JJ when I feel I should.

I am not tilting easily to be honest but when I tilt I tilt for good!!!

One other thing that I don’t know if it’s a weakness for a starter like me is that my open raise hands are these that the standard “advanced openrasing chart (fr)” says combined with the starting hand chart (bss) these two chars leading to a vpip around 12-14 and pfr around 7 which I think is a little low

Last sometimes I know I am loosing but still calling medium to big bets at the river… and don’t forget to say that I hate short stacks!!!

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is, and why does it work.)

For me tight aggressive player is a solid player that plays good quality hands in position and when he does he plays them aggressive pre and post flop . He does not like to limp in unraised pots he knows when to 3bet when to steal from the co and bu sb and in general is a good player that knows what he and his opponents are doing.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello w4terman,

Rather play passively and carefully than make way too many hero-calls. But that's true that if you miss a lot value in specific spots then it ain't very good either. I would definitely concentrate on getting maximum value. For getting known those kind of situations try posting some hands of course, we will definitely be able to fix those leaks.

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play. But that's good that you don't tilt much. :) A lot of players have problem with it.

About the VPIP/PFR I wouldn't say it's like way too off. If you are making profit with it then why not to play with such stats? Seems to be somewhat average one.

Good luck in the Course. Earned your first points.
    • w4terman
      w4terman
      Bronze
      thank you veriz !

if i have any questions about BSS should i ask here ?

i have a few =)
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      Yep, you can ask here :) Mods, coaches or even other members of the school will be glad to answer it :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by w4terman
      thank you veriz !

if i have any questions about BSS should i ask here ?

i have a few =)
      If you have some private questions then you can as well use the Community module. If you have just questions about BSS then sure ask rather here. Maybe even some of the students can post some tips as well. I will be waiting for the questions.
    • w4terman
      w4terman
      Bronze
      Ok most of my question at the moment is for pre flop action.

1)What should I do in a 3bet pot when I have AK OOP and what IP (I know it depends from the opponent but I am asking in general).

2)Should I defend from the blinds to a steal with hands like AT+ KQo+ 67s+ or its better to 3bet/fold?

3)Should I see JJ TT the same as medium-low pocket pair’s pre flop? Raise and fold to a 3bet?

4)The obvious 3bet range is like AA KK QQ AK should I try to 3bet with other hands to ?

That’s for a start :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1)What should I do in a 3bet pot when I have AK OOP and what IP (I know it depends from the opponent but I am asking in general).

Obviously it's very hard to say. There is never a general play for those hands. Why? It's based on opponent, on position, on opponents stack, on our stack and many more different things. And what do you mean what you should do in 3bet pot. You mean preflop you face a 3bet? And what do to do or what? Most likely against unknown if you are for example raising from UTG and get 3bet from SB then rather fold the hand.

2)Should I defend from the blinds to a steal with hands like AT+ KQo+ 67s+ or its better to 3bet/fold?

Most likely 3bet/Fold. And you can even defend a bit looser. Even JT/QJ and etc type of hands. But of course mainly as well depends on the limits you play and against what kind of opponents we play.

3)Should I see JJ TT the same as medium-low pocket pair’s pre flop? Raise and fold to a 3bet?

Sometimes we continue, sometimes we fold, sometimes we go broke. :) Different situations. There is no general spot.

4)The obvious 3bet range is like AA KK QQ AK should I try to 3bet with other hands to ?

Depends on the situation. :)

What I see from your questions right now is that you are building a chart what you should 3bet and what not. :D But you can't build such a chart. I mean you could but there are just so many different situations which in some cases you change it, in some cases you don't and some cases you follow the basic chart. Rather try posting hands and we will figure out which situations should be played in which way.
    • w4terman
      w4terman
      Bronze
      thank you veriz! :)

i am not building a chart to be honest i am just asking cause when i play i am coming in difficult desisions with this kind of hands !

i hate when i have JJ or TT and i just call and must fold on a agly board and if i 3bet and have a call i have no clue if my hand is good or not :)

AK also to good to fold to bad to go broke !

i guess expirience and study helps a lot on most of my questions
    • w4terman
      w4terman
      Bronze
      will there be a lesson about how we analyze our hands after each session to find leaks and improve our game ?

i have read the articles (analysis 1-2-3) at the strategy session but more detail with some more examples will help more i think
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      will there be a lesson about how we analyze our hands after each session to find leaks and improve our game ?

I will try to make something in between coachings.

Although I would strongly recommend post hands. :) This is how you get the best the experience and of course analyze other hands. How else do you want to manage to get through a lot of different situations? :) And also the answers either you played it correctly or not. I have couple of members who daily post like 20 hands. :) And as far I have seen they have really improved with time, couple of members who even play on higher limits. :) So I can say posting hands has definitely helped them out.
    • w4terman
      w4terman
      Bronze
      thank you veriz

i am posting a lot of hands at the Hand Evaluations BSS up to 0.05/0.10
      it sure helps a lot!
    • w4terman
      w4terman
      Bronze
      Do the homework:

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands are to be played?)

I don’t like the Low Pairs play that says that you should fold 22-99 from EP and only call from MP . I like more to open raise with these hands from any position I maybe fold 22-55 from EP but sometimes I will also raise with them… playing like that you can simply get the blinds some times and if you have a call and missed the flop you still have the initiative and with a CB you can still win the pot.

Also the big suited connectors JTs+ I also like to open raise with these hands from MP+ and sometimes I will also call with suited connectors from BU or late position if 2-3 players are playing the hand. Because if I hit I can win a big pot and the pot odds are good to try so.

AQs I think deserves a better spot from AJ AT in position I think you can call a raise with AQs or even 3bet sometimes vs the right opponent. Chart has AQ AJ AT as the group of hands.

I like more the advanced open raising chart (fr standard)

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play. ( Post your hand in the Handevaluation forums, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

BU vs BB

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo? ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab)

AKo vs a 5% range has 46,32% equity whats with Equilab
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Playing PPs in smaller stakes is can be really profitable. You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that.

About the SCs I do agree, they are even stronger than those Axs ones. :) If you think you are able to play them profitable then why not? But definitely keep an eye on them and try posting hands.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • w4terman
      w4terman
      Bronze
      Do the homework:

Question 1: You are holding K :spade: Q :spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :diamond: 3 :club: ? How does the equity change on the following flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: ? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task)

Preflop our KsQs has 50,78% against 3d3c
      At the flop we have 26,46% equity

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" is not sufficient)
      No-Limit hold'em $2 (9 handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club: .
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

We have 12 outs 9outs for the flush draw and 3outs if a 4 comes (we say 3 cause we don’t count the 4 of clubs) so with 12 outs we have 3:1 odds now the pot is .25 + .22 our bet +.44 the bet+raise that’s a pot of .91 and we must call to .22 to continue .91/.22 4,13:1 so we must call… cause our pot odds are greater that our odds

Now we can say the we don’t have the 3outs (4) cause that’s gives a straight to both of us plus our opponent could have a 7 so we lose… that’s leave us with only a flush draw 9 outs that has 4:1 pot odds so we can still call. If we considerate and the implied odds it’s an easy call

Question 3: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your post-flop play. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room)

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=147986