Mopenza

• Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      Hello.

My name is Gundars, I am from Latvia, if anyone even knows where it is :) so I decided to take this course to learn maybe some new things. About my poker history, I started there with free 50$ with 1$ SnG, after some 500+ I was BE there and was kinda bored of it, so I decided to learn some SSS, did not gone fare with that to, so then I started my way of BSS from NL 2 FR to NL 10 SH, I hope I get some new information in this course.

See u at couching! Gundars
  • 19 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Hello Gundars,

Greetings from the Republic of Ireland! I am in that tiny Island to the left of England. (It's so small you'd nearly need a magnifying glass to see it!

Welcome to the NL Beginners Course!

We appreciate your introduction a lot and we hope you enjoy the course!

I have no doubt that with plenty of hard work and dedication in this course, you will improve and enhance your game even further.

I wish you every success,

Regards,
      Gary
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

:diamond: I want to reach NL100 and then see how far will it go, for now its just a hobby I try to play every day but in RL its sometimes not possible do to job etc., anyway I better spend my free time playing poker then some video game or whatever useless stuff.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

:diamond: Weaknesses hmm, maybe I play a bit tired sometimes, but its just cause I work hard and after job I am a bit sleepy, but its not so bad I dont think it rly effects me so much, about tilting, yea I got some problems to but I try to fix it, its just sometimes so unbelievable that in some 200-300 hands u can lose 5-6 BI, but what can I do, usually I turn of my PC go for smoke and drink some beer. Dont know what more to say there, about WTSD I try to control myself there and not to make any Hero calls or spew moves.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

:diamond: Hmm good question, for me its a play where u are discipline and follow some mathematical logics, u open raise more then u cold call and tighter up or lose down depending on opponent and your position on him and ofc u bet/rase more then check/call, why it works hmm I think not only TAG work but LAG works to, if u know how to play it but as I hear its much more harder to play good LAG then TAG the key in both of them I guess is Agg with that u more often can push ppl away from hand.

:spade: I hope u are satisfied with my answers if I missed something feel free to point it out will try my best. cheers Gundars! :s_thumbsup:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Mopenza,

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Also going to showdown way too often can be expensive and a huge leak. A lot of people level themselves to make way too many hero-calls but while you should actually fold the hand. Usually when you see yourself being rather behind then just fold the hand without knowing the opponent. Try this out. :)

Good luck in the Course. Earned your first points.
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      As some couch said better not look at HM for how much u are up or down, it can effect your game, so from that time I never look how much I am up or down for session. for me stop-loss is set to 4BI, but usually I just feel that game is not going so well, so I stop that session after I look my hands and watch some training videos if I got time for that.

:spade: Thanks for points btw. :)
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?

:diamond: from SHC I take only UTG and MP ranges to open, because in CU and BU u can steal much more against different opponents or cant steal at all if they are 3beting or calling u to much then u must tighten up so yes I mean u can include like A2s+ from CU instead of A6s+ and maybe even A2o+ in some cases, same goes for BU if I see ppl who folds to steal like 80%+ I try to open any 2, till I got some respond(its a bout SH), and ofc in SB and BB its depends on villain so I think to play deferent isn't wrong, just before that u need to get some experience

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play. ( Post your hand in the Handevaluation forums, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      :diamond: A7s in BB iso or not?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?

:diamond:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      MP3    53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

and something for fun
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

I totally agree with your thoughts about CO/BU since we can very easily widen up our range from those spots. Also if you are rather good postflop then it's often the case that most of the money even coming from CO/BU. :)

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      Hello! was busy at work so did not got much time for poker this weak, but things will change next week. Oky so there is homework 3.

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on the following flop: J53?

:diamond: Preflop its:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }
      MP3    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }

On flop it changes a lot even with FD we are far behind:

Board: 5:diamond: J:spade: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }
      MP3    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }

What would you do in the following hand?

:diamond: So if my math is right its 0.25+0.22+0.44=0.91 so we need to call 0.22 its 0.91/0.22= 4,136 so we get 1:4.14 odds so we can easy call for FD, if we put him on set then we get:
      Board: 6:diamond: 3:diamond: 2:club:  5:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     19.32%  15.91%   3.41% { AcJc }
      BU     80.68%  77.27%   3.41% { 66-55, 33-22 }
      and if I am right there then I think we need 6:1 pot odds to make this call profitable, so we dont have a call there, but I mean if we think that our opponent will never give up a set there on club river then we can easy call this, anyway I think that he would bet a set on flop for protection rather then check it behind, but 55 can still be in his range. Anyway I would do this call.

Question 3: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your post-flop play.

:diamond: NL10 SH AKs
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      homework 4:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have the initiative post-flop.

:diamond: NL10 SH Q8o sb vs bb

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

:diamond: NL5 AQo CO vs fish

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

:diamond:
      Board: 8:heart: J:spade: 9:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      BU     58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      homework 5:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.

:diamond: QQ vs 3bet

:diamond: Q5s on BU

Question 3: Consider the following situation:
      $10 NL Hold'em (7 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6 :diamond: , 7 :diamond:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3 :diamond: , 3 :heart: , T :diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) J :diamond: (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

:diamond: I would rase/fold it there cose we got strong hand and we need to protect it against all 1 suited high cards who is trying to see cheap river, but if we got re-raised we dont beat much so its fold then. I would raise it up to 5.20, if we got called then reevaluate on river.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J :heart: , J :spade:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6 :heart: , 9 :spade: , T :club: (2 players)
      Hero...

:diamond: this one is really tricky, as we call his 3bet oop I guess we can just play for set value, but on board like this we sometimes will beat his AQ,AK and maybe even AJs sometimes it all depend on his 3bet if its high, I might consider c/c at-last 1 time if its 2-3% I am c/f it, anyway rly tricky question.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Good luck on tables and with the School. Some more points earned.
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      homework 6:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have either a) freeplay, b) slowplay, or c) multi-way pot situation.

:diamond: multi-way pot

:diamond: NL2 KT turn play

$25 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($25) rock
      UTG+2 ($25)
      MP1 ($25)
      MP2 ($25) LAG
      MP3 ($25) maniac
      CO ($25)
      Hero BU ($25)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($25) calling station

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q :heart: , J :heart:
      5 folds, MP3 raises $1.00, CO calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, 1 fold, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.10) 3 :heart: , J :club: , A :diamond: (4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.10) Q :club: (4 players)
      BB bets $2.05, 2 folds, Hero...?

When calling station leads out in 4 way pot its kinda scary to raise him there, TK is definitely in his range, so its ether call or raise to protect against GS and FD, I think I prefer call there, and see the river, if clubs hits I am probably folding to any bet there.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #6 Done!

About Question #3:
      Two lines can quickly be discarded here: fold and raise/fold; your hand is simply too strong for those alternatives.

It's hard to assess whether you should put in a raise here. When a rather passive player decides to bet into three players while being out of position, it does look strong. It's more likely an indication of a made hand than that of a draw.

A raise naturally protects, but you run the risk of isolating yourself against very strong range. Which weaker hands could your opponent possibly continue playing here?

The deciding factor finally comes in the size of the pot. This tiny pot simply isn't worth putting yourself into a tough spot where you could potentially end up risking your entire stack. A raise would be overplayed here and pot control takes the precedent over protection.

Best of Luck on tables and with the Course. Some more points earned.
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      Homework #7.

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have played on a 6-max table (short-handed)

:diamond: K9o in CU

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members

:diamond: 98o in BU

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB (Hero) ($10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5 :heart: , 4 :heart:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) 3 :spade: , 2 :heart: , Q :heart: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.20, CO Raises All-in, BU calls All-in, SB folds, Hero...

:diamond: if I am right:
      1. 1.60$+1.20$+9.60$+9.60$=22$
      2. Hero 10$-1,6$= 8,4$
      3. 8.4/22 = 0.38% Equity

So we need 38% equity

I gave then there ranges might be wrong:

Board: Q:heart: 2:heart: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     25.96%  24.00%   1.95% { JJ+, 33-22, AQs, A5s-A4s, KQs, QJs, AQo, A5o-A4o, KQo, QJo }
      BU     25.96%  24.00%   1.95% { JJ+, 33-22, AQs, A5s-A4s, KQs, QJs, AQo, A5o-A4o, KQo, QJo }
      BB     48.08%  47.66%   0.42% { 5h4h }

I think its a call there.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO (Hero) ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: , K :spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) A :spade: , 4 :club: , 4 :diamond: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $1.20, Hero...

:diamond: flop is not rly draw heavy the best thing would be there to just call he might bet worst A or even some pairs there.
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Silver
      Homework #8

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation.

:diamond: 56s in BB

:diamond: KK

$100 NL Hold'em (9 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($100)
      UTG+1 ($100)
      MP1 ($100)
      MP2 ($100)
      Hero ($100)
      CO ($100)
      BU ($100)
      SB ($100)
      BB ($100) (18/15/3.7/23/732)[VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 8 :heart: , 9 :heart:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $4.00, 3 folds, BB calls $4.00

Flop: ($8.50) 3 :heart: , 6 :heart: , 8 :diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $5.50 BB calls $5.50

Turn: ($19.50) J :heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero...

:diamond: I would bet, we still need some protection against A :heart: X type of hands I guess, problem is that player like him wouldn't call AXo in this spot I guess, but could call some AXs. I dont rly know, if u put him on A6,A8 or A3 its better to just to check back there, but still if he got 33,66 or 88 we must protect our hand against his outs, so I think yes just bet the turn.

BONUS Question 4 (optional question): Consider the following situation:

$200 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      MP2 (Hero) ($327.95)
      MP3 ($207.45)
      CO ($415.55) (TAG)
      BU ($373.60) (TAG)
      SB ($200.00)
      BB ($218.00)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7 :heart: , 8 :heart:
      Hero raises to $7, 1 folds, CO raises to $23, BU calls $23, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $16

Flop: ($72) 7 :club: , 8 :spade: , 8 :diamond: (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BU bets $52, Hero calls, CO calls

Turn: ($228) K :diamond: (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BU checks

River: ($228) Q :heart: (3 players)
      Hero bets $110, CO raises to $340.55 (All-in), BU folds, Hero?

What factors and concepts that you have learned so far would you use in evaluating this situation? What would your action be?

:diamond: standart TAGs 3bet range will be tight,like some 6%=ATs+,AQo+99+ and maybe some suited connectors, as he check calls flop I put him on some overpair like TT+, 89s is less likely cause we got 78s, on the river it rly seems like QQ or KK, but we got left some 100+$ so I think we must call and hope for some AK,AQ,TT,JJ,AA hand there I think we need to bluff catch only 1 from 6 there to get profit.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #7 Done!

About Question #3:
      In this case, you decided to bet out yourself and two players behind you go all-in. You would have to invest $8.40 in order to participate in a $22 pot, which corresponds to an equity of 27.63%.

Board: Q 3 2
      Dead:

Equity Win DrawLoss Hand
      Player 1: 38.538% 38.538% 0.000% 61.462% 5h4h
      Player 2: 14.540% 14.540% 0.000% 85.460% QQ+
      Player 3: 46.921% 46.921% 0.000% 53.079% 22-33

You get the required odds even when you're exclusively up against very strong hands!

About Question #4:
      Top pair / top kicker has been and will always be a hand that's tough to play, especially in a multi-way pot. In this case, you've hit a nice flop, but you're up against 3 opponents on a dry board which doesn't allow for any dangerous draws.

A fold on this board is, of course, too weak. You can't really hit much better and there might be worse Ax hands willing to pay you off.

If you think that your opponent(s) is/are often willing to go broke on the flop with worse hands, raising might not be the worst of choices. But one thing is clear: if you raise, you have to go all-in on the flop! Raise/fold with your top pair is absolutely out of question.

Even though this might leave a bitter aftertaste in a 4-way pot, you should play this like a way ahead / way behind spot here - by playing it passive, you will extract the maximum from weaker hands and bluffs while avoiding big losses against stronger hands.

Best of Luck on the Tables. Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #8 Done!

About Question #3:
      In this case, the right answer is quite obvious. Both AF and WTS speak in favor of a check behind for bluff induce. But your hand is too strong here, so you want to get it all-in on the turn. There are a lot of hands you still have to protect against, too. Playing for bluff induce or pot control would simply be too weak and dangerous.

About Question #4:
      About preflop play I'd say that it's still doable while we even are a bit deeper. I expect the hero to play solid postflop play. So Calling is definitely fine here with having 2 opponents in the hand and getting great implied odds. But for more beginners it's deifnitely a very close spot while they ain't gonna be able to laydown weak hands.

As we have the information that CO is a TAG player. Therefore, we expect him to have a strong 3bet range. Unless we have some other information like he has a wide 3bet range. But while we don’t have that, we basically consider his range to be something QQ+, AK or sometimes even tighter.

So now you have to ask yourself what kind of hands would play like this on river? KK may slowplay like this. QQ definitely is as well in his range. AK/AA he wouldn’t play this way since he know himself as well that he isn’t going to get Called by worse hands. So basically it’s up to the nuts most often. You only beat bluff there and I don’t expect the opponent to bluff in this case unless we know the table dynamics better.

Best of Luck in The Exam! Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Your exam is done and evaluated!

I would now advice to take a look at the No Limit Advanced Learning path. Which is located here: No Limit Advanced Learning Path. Although it's without any homework but it's still a path which will help you get the understanding of more advanced stuff. Although it may require higher ranks. Some may require even Gold status.

You are still welcome to use this thread for your progress and if you face any questions about your play/stats or anything you want to ask. Also don't hesitate to continue posting hands which I will be most likely evaluating.

About your exam:
      You did well there, although it seemed like you took it way too easy. By that I mean you didn't think much of the situation and didn't think much overall the opponent or the hand. But rather just played your hand. It could be also the same that you play straight forward on your tables. Of course on lower limits it's gonna be easy to make money but it's gonna be harder on higher limits where you have to adjust to your opponents.

Although overall it seems that you already getting the idea how to calculate equity, how to use implied odds and you ain't overrating your hand. As most of the exam posters had difficulties with the math part so I wouldn't really be worried about that. We gonna try to fix it with further analyzes.

Only thing what I would advice you to do is to how to calculate the stuff as break-even equity such calculations, could even post some hands and we could try calculating it together and I can even post the part how to calculate it.

In future we gonna concentrate more on your hands and try to fix some leaks which. Hopefully you gonna continue posting in the thread. We could take a look at stats and many different kind of things. Maybe even some mindset problem. :)

Do you have any questions about the exam?

Good Luck on the Tables and with the next learning Path. If you have any questions don't hesitate to hop in your Locker Room thread and ask or post your progress.