boomer011

• boomer011
      boomer011
      Bronze
      Hey guys, im 22 years old and from Canada. Been dabbling in poker for a while but never taken it too serious. Now with the starting capital grinding nl2 on everest and hoping to use this course to learn the skills I need to grind up a decent roll
  • 15 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey boomer011,

Welcome to the NL Beginners Course!

Thank you for your introduction!

I hope you enjoy the course and it helps you become a better player :)

As long as put the hard work, effort and dedication into the course work, I'm sure you will excel in Poker and start printing the $$$

Regards,
      Gary
    • boomer011
      boomer011
      Bronze
      Homework #1
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)
      Answer 1- I would say that my primary motivation for playing poker is because I enjoy the thinking aspect behind playing poker, and because poker is also relatively unique in also presenting the opportunity to make money doing something you enjoy, which would be fantastic
      Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are doing during your games? Are you playing while tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write as many as you think are affecting you.)
      Answer 2- My main weakness when playing poker is a general inability to let go of big hands postflop when they appear to be beat (ex. kk on an ace high flop)
      Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is, and why does it work.)
      Answer 3- Playing tight aggressive means playing very few hands but playing them very strongly (aggresively). It works because when playing tight, you are generally ahead of your opponents range (thus +EV) and aggression puts your opponents constantly to the test, leading them to make mistakes, making you profit
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello boomer011,

The main weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands. We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • boomer011
      boomer011
      Bronze
      Question #1: which hands would you play differently from the SHC and why?
      First hands I would play differently is 99,88; SHC lists it as a mere call from late position if other players have called, but in my opinion your equity is good here to isolate, plus the hand plays easily post flop; same thing goes for isolating with hands like KQ suited after early position raiser, i like to isolate here and they often just fold pre.
      Question #2 Is this a hand where I should be reraising to attempt to isolate the shortstack raiser; is AQ normally a strong enough hand to do that?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $2.03
      UTG2:
      $1.55
      MP1:
      $0.32
      Hero:
      $3.66

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:heart: , Q:club: . UTG2 posts a blind of $0.02.
      UTG2 checks, MP1 raises to $0.09, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.09, BU folds, SB calls $0.08, BB folds, UTG2 calls $0.07.

Flop: ($0.38) K:diamond: , 6:heart: , 4:heart: (4 players)
      SB checks, UTG2 checks, MP1 raises $0.23 (All-In), Hero folds, SB calls $0.23, UTG2 calls $0.23.

Turn: ($1.07) 6:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $1.07, UTG2 folds, SB gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

River: ($1.07) 5:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $1.07

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP1 shows (As Jh)
      SB shows two-pair, kings and sixes (Kc Tc)

SB wins with two-pair, kings and sixes (Kc Tc)

Question #3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% { AKo }
      MP3 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Please post the hands into Hand Evaluation forums and then just link your hands. :) Thanks!

Playing PPs can be in long run actually be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them. You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that.

Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you could limp.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • boomer011
      boomer011
      Bronze
      Here is Homework #3, I will post the hand history for question #3 later after I conduct a session review
      question #1;
      equity preflop

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% KsQs
      MP3 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% 3d3c

Equity postflop

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% KsQs
      MP3 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% 3d3c
      Thus your equity changes quite significantly pre to postflop, and you are a significant underdog against a flopped set.

Question #2
      My actions on this board would depend on the opponent. Given the 4 card straight on the board, this could easily be a bluff by a more tricky opponent, and if I believed this to be in villain's range I likely 3 bet shove, as I would anticipate a solid amount of fold equity in this case, and only rarely a 4 in his range, as only really 44 and perhaps A/4 suited are in his range; however against a made straight our equity is quite poor
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 21.59% 20.45% 1.14% AcJc
      MP3 78.41% 77.27% 1.14% 4d4h
      given the pot is already 0.91$ at this point, and we would additionally have 20 percent equity behind should we be called, I think a reraise all in is the preferable play, much preferred to either a call, or a fold
    • boomer011
      boomer011
      Bronze
      Here is Homework #3, I will post the hand history for question #3 later after I conduct a session review
      question #1;
      equity preflop

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% KsQs
      MP3 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% 3d3c

Equity postflop

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% KsQs
      MP3 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% 3d3c
      Thus your equity changes quite significantly pre to postflop, and you are a significant underdog against a flopped set.

Question #2
      My actions on this board would depend on the opponent. Given the 4 card straight on the board, this could easily be a bluff by a more tricky opponent, and if I believed this to be in villain's range I likely 3 bet shove, as I would anticipate a solid amount of fold equity in this case, and only rarely a 4 in his range, as only really 44 and perhaps A/4 suited are in his range; however against a made straight our equity is quite poor
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 21.59% 20.45% 1.14% AcJc
      MP3 78.41% 77.27% 1.14% 4d4h
      given the pot is already 0.91$ at this point, and we would additionally have 20 percent equity behind should we be called, I think a reraise all in is the preferable play, much preferred to either a call, or a fold
    • boomer011
      boomer011
      Bronze
      Question #3
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=148837; AJ suited nl2 hand posted for postflop play
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • boomer011
      boomer011
      Bronze
      Homework #4
      Question #1
      10/10 nl2 initiative postflop
      nl2 10/10 with intiative post flop
      Question #2
      AJs OOP with iniative (Homework lesson 4)
      Question #3
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 41.41% 41.41% 0.00% KsQd
      MP3 58.59% 58.59% 0.00% 7h7c
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
    • boomer011
      boomer011
      Bronze
      Homework #5
      Question 1
      62o nl2
      Question 2
      KK Facing min raise on Flop
      Question 3
      Here my action on the turn would certainly be to raise. We have a hand that needs protection as another diamond or another 10 or J or 3 essentially counterfeits our hand. Additonally no one has shown much strength as of yet, and unless we are facing a slowplay, which given both players are quite aggressive isnt that likely, we can as of right now assume we are ahead. Thus I would certainly raise here, likely to 4 or 5 dollars and hope that I take the pot down right here, as otherwise against either a shove, or against a call given the number of scare cards possible on the river we aren't in good shape. Thus a raise to 5 dollars to maximize protection and try to take the pot right here seems the best play to me.
      Question 4
      Here OP is playing quite LAG, I would probably go for the check raise here, as OP has the intiative, an I believe would C-bet a lot of hands that we beat, ex AK, and his WTS of 26% indicates that often we could pick up a nice sized pot with this play. If he overshoves, then we have a tough spot, but after a C/R would likely be pot committed into calling which isn't ideal. Another option would be check/calling flop and then shoving any non A/K turn, but I think if we think we are in front of OP's range on the flop I would be more inclined to C/R there, with better fold equity.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Good luck on tables and with the School. Some more points earned.
    • boomer011
      boomer011
      Bronze
      Question #1
      Slowplay hand
      NL BSS homework #6 slowplay in freeplay pot
      Question #2
      Nl2 Aa
      Question #3
      Here my action is bet/fold. The reasoning for this is as follows. First it likely that OP does not have a big hand here. He may be betting here for several reasons, first of all he may have picked up a Q, or may have picked up a flush draw. If OP has picked up some kind of draw, flush or straight draw, we should be raising to protect our hand. Additionally we have a fairly likely chance of picking up a not too insignificant 6.15$ pot. We should fold to a 3 bet here as at low stakes that is almost never a bluff in this spot; and indicates either a slowplay, or more likely a turned straight from the gutshot draw, thus to a turn 3bet we should fold, but I would suspect most of the time we pick up the pot here on the turn.
      On river, if a non ace, K, 10, or club falls we should be willing to get it in against an OP turn call.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #6 Done!

About Question #3:
      Two lines can quickly be discarded here: fold and raise/fold; your hand is simply too strong for those alternatives.

It's hard to assess whether you should put in a raise here. When a rather passive player decides to bet into three players while being out of position, it does look strong. It's more likely an indication of a made hand than that of a draw.

A raise naturally protects, but you run the risk of isolating yourself against very strong range. Which weaker hands could your opponent possibly continue playing here?

The deciding factor finally comes in the size of the pot. This tiny pot simply isn't worth putting yourself into a tough spot where you could potentially end up risking your entire stack. A raise would be overplayed here and pot control takes the precedent over protection.

Best of Luck on tables and with the Course. Some more points earned.