nick1237

• nick1237
      nick1237
      Bronze
      Hey

I am Rob. Play poker for some time. But still having trouble to beat the lower stakes. My winnings jumping up and down.
      Love to start this course and hopefully getting better.
  • 5 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey Rob,

Welcome to the NL Beginners Course!

I really hope you enjoy the learning curve that this course will create and that you improve yourself in every way possible.

I am sure with plenty of hard work and dedication, you will find the strength to beat the micros and further!

Best of luck in the course,

Gary
    • nick1237
      nick1237
      Bronze
      Thanks, looking forward to it.

Homework

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I like mind games very much. Playing also chess and bridge.
      With chess your chances are fixed, study hard and you get better. Bridge is more fun because of the incomplete information during the play.
      But poker is the best, nothing is certain till the play is finished. There are various ways to win or lose. I like it very much because of the diversity.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

The biggest weakness is that i get spewy now and then. It is hard to give up a hand that was strong preflop when everything goes wrong. Or hard to give up when i place a bluff and it doesn't work.

Don't pay enough attention to distinct the weak players from the strong players. Getting not enough value from the weaker player and putting too much in against the stronger player.

Forget to put opponent on a range after the flop. This will come in time. Not a real weakness, think it is normal on my level. Most of the time i think; he has it or he has it not. :D

Working hard on the first two weaknesses lately and it is paying off.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

Playing only a small range of hands and situations with a positive expected result and play them preferably with a raise.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello nick1237,

If you like mind-games then poker should be the best for you. Since it really involves a lot of those sort game. A lot good chess players even switched to poker since it's possible to earn money with it. :)

Most of the other weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands. We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

What about tilting? Do you have any problems with it?

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • nick1237
      nick1237
      Bronze
      I guess i tilt a lot and i don't like it. Most times because i want the chips in the pot as soon as possible.

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      UTG2:
      $0.78
      MP1:
      $1.10
      MP2:
      $4.03
      MP3:
      $2.42
      CO:
      $1.52
      BU:
      $5.34
      SB:
      $2.00
      BB (Hero):
      $3.07

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, 6.
      UTG2 calls $0.02, 3 folds, CO calls $0.02, BU calls $0.02, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.09) 6, 2, 6 (4 players)
      Hero checks, UTG2 bets $0.12, CO folds, BU calls $0.12, Hero raises to $0.45, UTG2 calls $0.33, BU raises to $1.53, Hero raises to $2.61, UTG2 calls $0.31(All-In), BU raises to $5.44, Hero calls $0.44.

I get a freeplay. UTG 60/10 fish, CU Calling Station, BTN Regular.
      Flop is nice. I check and hope for a check/raise.
      When i check/raised the flop this were my thoughts; UTG probably has a 6 and i stackoff. If he has A6 then so be it. BTN can be ignored, maybe has a overpair.
      Then something strange happened. When BTN reraises the tilting starts.
      The reraise is so big and i think he is making a move, overlooking the obvious hand that beats me, pocket 2's.
      Really stupid to loose 153BB in a limped pot just because of tilt.

Wish i could stop these losses but don't know how to control it. Thinking somebody makes a move while in reality it hardly ever happens.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello nick1237,

By the way try to post those kind of hands into:
      NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum

We can discuss those kind of hands. Also the more you post them the more you will understand if you even did play correctly. :) Usually if a player starts to get negative feedback you will start to fight against it and definitely are going to remove a lot of mistakes. Plus of course you see yourself what kind of play you did. Analyzing your game is very important part of becoming a good player.

Best regards.