MattDenness

• ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey, I passed the BSS School, and here to try this one out too ;)

My name is, well... I'm 21, & have been playing Poker for just over a year now.

I'm currently trying to make my NL10 game better before i move up so hopefully another school will help out some more ;)
  • 19 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I love the game, the fact that anyone, from anywhere can make it, especially for myself, being on a minimum waged job. So my main motivation is of course, to win cash, not to be a multi-millionaire ( Well, i wouldn't pass it up ofc ), but to be able to call myself a professional, and earn a living from something i enjoy would be my motivation.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Tilt - I dont handle losing flips well, although im starting to get hold of it a bit more.
      Don't believe players - I tend not to believe players actually have hands, and will call people down with 88 on an QT4 board for example.
      Limping - I think i limp with to many hands, such as A6s Pre, or sometimes even calling small raises thinking i can bust if i hit the nutflush.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?
      To play the top hands only such as AQs+, TT+ & to play very aggressive by raising and using position to your advantage.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello MattDenness & welcome back to new Course,

Hopefully you already using stop-loss for avoiding tilt, ain't ya?

Also don't believing players is often a huge problem. Since you way too often waste too much money with it. Usually when you feel like you ain't sure if you are ahead or not then rather fold the hand and save the money than do the hero-call.

Hopefully we ain't talking about open-limping? Since if you are opening-limping those hands then it's truly very horrible. We have to change something in your play.

Good luck in the Course. Earned your first points.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Yea, i have a Stop-Loss sorted out, I stop when i lose 2BI's. Its more of a recent thing ive added though, due to BSS School.

I've started folding the Marginal hands over the Hero calls, although i still do it quite often. I know I need to stop doing it, i just need to put it into action more, instead of trying to be the Hero.

Yes, Open-limping, i know its bad, but in my head somewhere i think of it similar to the Call20 with PP's. If i hit my flush, i'll be able to bust him, i just need to get it into my head, that it doesn't work like this.

It seems i know a fair few of my leaks, but plugging them up is taking longer than it should.

I've also been building up alot of hands since Week8 BSS School, will there be a limit of hand Evaluations in this school? as im pretty sure its a good page full ;)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello MattDenness,

Don't worry that fixing leaks takes you too long. You will be never the best in poker since it's always something new to learn there. Nowadays it becomes even harder to become a very good player. Just continue learning and wont have any problems in future. :)

All the hands go into Hand Evaluation forums this time. We decided to pick it other way. So feel free to post there. :) I am gonna wait for them! :coolface:

Best regards.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      I've been finding that my 3Bets are getting folds everytime. I will usually 3Bet with QQ+,AK+ sometimes AQ when in LP from an MP raise.

I very rarely get any action from my 3Bets, and if i do, my AK's get 4Bet, and i will fold. or ill push on QQ+ and find KK/AA. Is this common? or Variance?

I will CBet too, on dry boards, or where I've hit TPTK, and again, will just get folds. I feel that this strategy isnt working to well and may opt to Call Raises with my AK+, QQ+ and go for trapping them, in hope to get more value?

But i'd like to know if this is a good idea or not, I play on Stars, so there are alot of regulars, so i feel this way may be my best at getting value?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I very rarely get any action from my 3Bets, and if i do, my AK's get 4Bet, and i will fold. or ill push on QQ+ and find KK/AA. Is this common? or Variance?

Uh, that's hard to say. But with those exactly hands as AK/QQ it's the case that at the best you anyways get a flip. So I would rather say that's common if you are against a tighter opponent.

I will CBet too, on dry boards, or where I've hit TPTK, and again, will just get folds. I feel that this strategy isnt working to well and may opt to Call Raises with my AK+, QQ+ and go for trapping them, in hope to get more value?

Didn't really get the question but if you get too many folds then nothing much to do. Only you could do is that don't be result oriented. It just makes you tilty. In long run we earn and not with just few hands. At some spots they might pay you in some not, they can't always pay you with every hand. Usually the case is that our mind remembers all those bad things but not those good things. The same is with loosing hands we will remember more and the loosing part than winning part.

But i'd like to know if this is a good idea or not, I play on Stars, so there are alot of regulars, so i feel this way may be my best at getting value?

Oh, I would say on smaller limits you can stay where you want. It's not that important. Stars has a huge player pool you can pick from. If you can easily move around your money then you can as well try depositing into those sites which PokerStrategy gives great offers to like $10k freerolls and etc and abuse the bonus thing if you have the BR for that.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Bump time! :P

I've been playing what i like to call "Properly" this month, taking in alot of what i've learnt through the course, some of it i've adapted into my own style. Following BRM and just generally playing well.

I've posted in the "Self Study / Management" Area for advice, but got no responses! Advice for my game ?

So can I be checky and get some advice on my game from veriz, or another BSS Coach, as a gift for passing here? ;)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Why not just to post all the things here? :) And I can assure that veriz will analyze it. :D But if you want I can also hop there, wouldn't mind. Just post where you want to get the feedback to.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      We will keep it here :)

I'll re-post what i said from there in here too!

Hey, I've been playing a bit of NL6 lately, and I've just started play 6 tables. I'm showing profits over a small volume, but i'd like to be able to fill in any small leaks i may have.

Problem is, i don't really know what any of you may need to review my game? I'm using HM2 so i can get near anything needed, if given good instructions :P

Well, here is a standard graph anyway. I don't really understand what the showdown lines are telling me? Are they good, Bad? I only use the Profit/EV lines...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, here is a standard graph anyway. I don't really understand what the showdown lines are telling me? Are they good, Bad? I only use the Profit/EV lines...

Pretty standard I would say, for pretty basic game-style it's going downstairs like this for most of the players. Since on lower stakes you can't really bluff out stations. :D
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Ah i see.

So what sort of stats could i post to give you a good indication of where i may have some leaks?

I've ran Leakbuster Trial, but its not the greatest review :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by MattDenness
      Ah i see.

So what sort of stats could i post to give you a good indication of where i may have some leaks?

I've ran Leakbuster Trial, but its not the greatest review :)
      You can post whatever stats you want. I can analyze them and then will find leaks from every stat I see.

Happy New Year!
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Prepare yourself PokerStrategy Man :D

I've taken some Screenshots of what I think would be useful for you to analyze, if there is any other Report I could pick your brains with, by all means say :P

Changed the Images to Links to avoid Page Stretching
      First off, is LeakBuster - Overall.
      Overall 1
      Overall 2

Second is my Position.
      Position Pic

Lastly, I find myself looking at "Active Session" alot and the Profit/Loss that it shows & this effects my game a little. I seem to be more result orientated during many session because of this and i'm certain it effects my game, and sometimes my decisions.

I use the HUD often, only the standard stats, but do you think it would be more beneficial to my learning experience if i were to disable HM and just use it to review afterwords?

Playing without a HUD should also improve my basic ABC game too, making more reads opposed to just using stats?
      I do have some players with 200+ Hands which does help to improve some of my plays, so perhaps set the HUD to only show when a Player has X hands? But then I have the same problem with constantly viewing if I'm Up or Down through the duration of the session.

I've also barely posted any hands for review, which is stupid of me not to use Veriz brain power. I've just posted about 25 hands from the 35k, seems you've found a huge leak from me already. Over playing my TopPairs/OverPairs, also playing for stacks too often.
      Tired from so much Copy/Paste, time for a break!

Also, would you say that reading everyones Hand Review Threads is also worth it, or just my own?
      I'm thinking of deleting my entire database of cash too, to start a fresh, would you advise this is a good idea or bad? :f_biggrin:

Happy New Year to you too! Better late than never :f_love:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) You have a huge leak in between your VPIP/PFR gab - most likely losing a lot money by just cold-calling. You should start to raise more hands rather than just limp or Call vs raises.

2) Calling too many 3bets - HUGE LEAK - prediction is that you losing most of the money here.

3) You could be a bit more aggression on early streets, right now the aggression for you on all the streets is kind of the same. But which should be that on flop you have the most aggression and then on turn less and on river the smallest one.

4) Seems like you ain't doing very good with CBs, success is kind of low, especially if your CB is so small it should be a bit bigger.

5) You don't play much according the position, you play practically from any position almost the same. You should widen up your range late position which also includes that you should steal more.

6) Blind defense - most likely you defending too much the blinds as we see from the SB.

I use the HUD often, only the standard stats, but do you think it would be more beneficial to my learning experience if i were to disable HM and just use it to review afterwords?

Nah, if you have the HUD then use it. :P Especially if you bought HM for yourself. :)

Playing without a HUD should also improve my basic ABC game too, making more reads opposed to just using stats?

Answer above. :P No need to disable them.

Player has X hands?

Some are using it, depends really what you like more. :P I use from hand sample 1. :D

I've also barely posted any hands for review, which is stupid of me not to use Veriz brain power. I've just posted about 25 hands from the 35k, seems you've found a huge leak from me already. Over playing my TopPairs/OverPairs, also playing for stacks too often.

Well, a lot of pokerstrategy members don't see the huge profit what comes from posting/discussing hands. :) They are just too lazy to do that.

Also, would you say that reading everyones Hand Review Threads is also worth it, or just my own?

Well, I guess there are too many in NL10 for to read all. :D Just post your own and then you can easily keep track on them and will even fix your own leaks. :)

I'm thinking of deleting my entire database of cash too, to start a fresh, would you advise this is a good idea or bad?

Yeah, I do that time to time as well. Especially if I have very old information on some opponents and a lot of that.

Happy New Year, in Estonia there is some stupid sentences. :D If you say after 7th January Happy New Year you have to come with vodka. :D
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      1) This was most likely because of 888Cam games, a good 10k hands come from them, they are full of fish, limping was very profitable :D
      I'm now playing non Cam tables only at NL10 to see how it goes, and get a better idea of my stats.
      I'm now running 20/14/4.5 (VPIP/PFR/3Bet) over 2100 hands, its small, but hopefully I'll stick to this ratio providing this is good?

2) I'm cutting this down alot, not much more to say, over a good sample should what would be a good number? 15-20? Or should I very rarely be calling 3 Bets?

3) On my current small sample i'm 28/22/15 (Flop/Turn/River) Aggression, So i must be doing something right now :D Giving up alot more hands due to Hand Evaluations ;)

4) My CBets usually are small, alot with most of my bets, I'm trying to improve this, you just need to shout at me some more! What would be a good Success rate? considering I do play quite laggy? 65%? But with this stat I don't always CBet and want a fold as I'm holding the goods sometime, so im unsure how to look at this stat.

5) I'm also trying to change my ranges in positions, this one will take me a while untill i figure out whats working and whats not, I've made some improovments already but this is a work in progress :f_biggrin:

6) 39, Woah!Its currently down to 25 atm. Similar to above reply.

As you can tell from above, i've reset my HM Database to start a fresh, which was veyr much needed due to my weird and wonderful stats :f_cool:

As you know, I'm posting alot of hands now, every day, after every session! I'm missing out some as I can evaluate them myself and already see the mistakes which is good.
      I've plugged alot of leaks due to this and have many more that the cork keeps popping out of, but I'll get there.
      The one I'm trying to fix is my Betting, too small every time! I get worried that my big bets will scare them off, but they are getting bigger by day :D
      I've only lost 2 40BB+ Pots in my last 2500 hands, and both of them I played wrong and should have got away from. A small sample im aware, but I'm usually involved in alot of big pots due to my leaks, so there is some improvement there :D

I'm up 6Bi's too, 19BB/100 hopefully it keeps rising ;)

Edit - I'm also getting some "Nice Hands / Well Played"'s too! :f_biggrin:

When i'm a High Roller, i'll promise you that late bottle of Vodka! :tongue:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      but hopefully I'll stick to this ratio providing this is good?

Not really, the gap should be a bit smaller like 20/16 at least. You are cold calling too much.

I'm cutting this down alot, not much more to say, over a good sample should what would be a good number? 15-20? Or should I very rarely be calling 3 Bets?

There is no correct number but something similar. It depends a lot on your postflop skills.

What would be a good Success rate?

~46-51%

Hehe, I am waiting for the Vodka. :D Best way to improve is anyways post hands and learn from them, at least worked for me. :P Don't forget to post only losing hands but also winning hands.
    • sucker1952
      sucker1952
      Bronze
      hey matt you playing pokerstars now?

will have to have a few battles if ya are as can discuss after i take ur dosh lol

wanted to join a school or hand evaluation class.

whats the best to start veriz or is posting in threads like this more valuable?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by sucker1952
      whats the best to start veriz or is posting in threads like this more valuable?
      You can start both, Hand Evaluation and also Beginners Course. :)
    • sucker1952
      sucker1952
      Bronze
      ah cool

i am waiting until i am silver and then i will join the advanced :)