John

• zhengjohn
      zhengjohn
      Bronze
      Hi,
      My name is John. I've been playing poker on and off for about 3 to 4 years. I started in partypoker, and I lose about $200 to $300 there in NL10. Then I played with my friends at my spare time for a couple of months. I love this game so much that I searched the internet hoping to find a website where I can learn poker, and then I found pokerstrategy.com. I started playing again. I read all the articles from basic to silver and some in gold. Also, I watched some videos. I like hasenbraten's videos. I started with NL4, then NL10, now I play NL20 most of the time and sometimes NL50--all full ring tables. I think I'm up about $500 overall.
  • 3 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hi John,

Welcome to the NL Beginners Course

I hope you find it +EV and become a better player from it. With loads of hard work and dedication I am sure you will reap the rewards and move up the limits in no time.

All the best,

Gary
    • zhengjohn
      zhengjohn
      Bronze
      Thank you Gary!

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)
      The first motivation for me is the fun of playing. I like playing poker and I really enjoy the game unless I'm on tilt. The second one would be the reward of money. I haven't made a lot of money of playing poker but I believe I can do better by learning from my mistakes.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are doing during your games? Are you playing while tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write as many as you think are affecting you.)
      The first one would be folding TPTK or high over pairs. I usually don't believe my opponents have better hands than I do when I have TPTK or high over pairs. I easily push my entire stack in the middle with TPTK or high over pairs.
      Second one would be I don't have a clear line when playing. When I check, I should have thought if the opponent bet, what should I do. When I bet, I don't think ahead what if the opponent raise.
      I will play even when I'm tired. Once I'm in the game, I usually will play until something or somebody disturbs me.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is, and why does it work.)
      I think a tight player has a VPIP of 14 and Raise PF of 10-12 (for FR games), and the earlier position you are in, the tighter your hand range should be. When you play tight, you don't have hard time to playing on the following streets. Being aggressive means you are not checking/calling too many hands. You want to have position and initiative over your opponents. With the initiative, you can early take down the pot with a Cbet even if you miss.

English is not my first language. There might be some spelling or grammar mistakes. Sorry about that.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello zhengjohn,

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands. We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

Playing tired can sometimes be very dangerous because you might get easily tilted. If you are tilted you will very likely as well loose more money. Therefore you have to watch out playing tired but of course it's not forbidden. I do play myself tired us well although for me it doesn't matter that much.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.