gadget51

• gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I've been a member of Pokerstrategy for like 3 years now. I play nl2 and nl4 FR mostly. I do play freerolls because they boost my BR and teh player loyalty point ones are very lucratice; I throw in the occasional OH4 6max as well (can't play that either).
      My Br is currently $180 having withdrawn it all recently to pay bills
      I have never made a deposit on a site because of the freerolls, so you could say I'm freerolling! The only downside is that I can't replace my BR as I have no job and she who must be obeyed is disabled, wherein lies my motivation to move up.
      I can no, however, play to build a proper BR and have some fun, rather than play - to- pay.
      I attended the basic course, enjoyed it and the grea coaches a lot, passed but still need to consolidate some concepts, therefore I joined this course.

I hope to be good enough to move up after this as I am getting a bit disheartened being stuck at my current lmits for so long.
  • 3 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hi gadget51,

Congratulations on passing the NL BSS School and welcome to the NL Beginners Course!

I am sure you will improve your game even further now and move up the limits in no time :)

All the best,
      Gary
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)
      This part is easy - money. As I mentioned before, my other half is disabled, can only work part-time and I have no job (and am unlikely to get one here), so I want to contribute something.
      I also like to be in control and I prefer autonomy, so poker is a better option than a 'normal' job anyway I like the fact that it's my decision whether the money goes in the middle or not.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are doing during your games? Are you playing while tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write as many as you think are affecting you.)

1. Thinking I am a step or two ahead because it's only nl4, which in most cases is true but I get doses of 'Fancy Play Syndrome' occasionally, which can undo all the hard work of a week because I'm not that good either!

2. I can calculate odds and outs to some extent, but it get hard when discounted outs become important and there is little time.

3. Playing by 'Feel and reads rather/instead of math.' I'm actually not too bad at this but if I intend moving up I need more than just a 'feeling.'

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is, and why does it work.)

Tight agressive is waiting for good cards, or at least better cards than your opponents preflop, then raising or reraising preflop, not limping or calling. Tight and agressive players know their position on the table and play accordingly; for example, in position a tight agressive player might isolate a limper by raising in position, thus putting pressure on weaker players.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello gadget51,

Fancy play on those limits never pays off because the opponents are just too loose that they wont be even thinking of folding. Therefore I would strongly recommend to try remove the play from your game. One possibility would be to post hands and get negative feedback. You will start to fight against the negative feedback so next time you wont get it. :) Never forget doing post-session analyzes which is actually the most important part of your poker learning path.

The math part will go through like on every week homeworks. And hopefully even more in more advanced schools. :) It's very important part in poker which will help you become in many different situations better and the understanding in the situation.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.