[NL2-NL10] Interesting hands and questions from 02/20 SSS Adv. Coaching

• xarry2
      xarry2
      Bronze
      Is it possible to deviate from our standard line as preflop aggressor when we're facing a very aggressive opponent?

Even though the situation is not very frequent on middle limits we will be confronted with very aggressive opponents more often the higher we go.
      Possible would be a check OOP with a made hand in order to induce a bet by our opponent. Of course not every board is suitable for that. If we have to protect we should do so. Moreover it seems to be very important to me that our "trap" is well concealed. Every halfway thinking player will get suspicious of our play if we check to him on a K72 rainbow board where a continuation bet creates much FE. Thats why I would prefer to use this line on "ugly" boards which have often failed our raising range. Thus our trap credibly feigns weakness and we will induce a bet very often.

Possible boards:

- lowcard flop and we hold an overpair => we're symbolizing AQ or AK
      - J high boards, maybe a bit connected and we hold an overpair

If we then make a c/r AI and can show a strong hand on the showdown our opponent can't always put us on UI overcards if we check to him. So its possible that we can see the turn for free if we really have AK.

To sum up, I want to point out that this play is really fancy. Therefore I would only recommend to use it when we have enough reads about our opponent (prooving that he's really aggressive and will thus bet most likely)
      Further, it is better to mix up your lines. If we always c/r on a lowcard board our opponent will stop betting any2 if we check to him.

Sample Hand

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)       
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $141.75
      BU:
      $504.35

3/6 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T:spade: , T:heart:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $24.00, 3 folds, BU calls $24.00, 2 folds.

Flop: ($57.00) J:diamond: , 3:club: , J:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $40, BU calls $40.00.

Turn: ($137.00) K:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $77.75 (All-In), BU calls $77.75.

River: ($292.50) 2:spade:

Final Pot: $292.50

Here I want to show you how putting your opponent on a range can help you to find the correct decision.

Flop cbet is standard. We're only beat by Jx or 33. Further our opponent can hold a huge range after his call on the Button.
      After the Flop call our opponent can hold lower to middle pocketpairs, an improved flushdraw or trips, maybe some other trash considering his stats. the K on the turn is very seldom in his calling range on the flop. only that it completes the flushdraw. So should we continue on this ugly turn?

Before we take a look at his range I calculate how much equity we need considering the pot odds on the turn.

If we consider that he calls with his complete range we need at least 26.6% equity. Of course in reality it will be something in between.
      I'll try to give him a range for the turn:

JJ-22,AcQc,AJs,AcTc,KJs,QJs,QcTc,J9s+,Tc9c,9c8c,AJo,KJo,QJo,J9o+

I think its also possible that he calls with other trash on the flop. But lets stick with this reasonable range. Our equity is 44.7%. If he calls 100% we make good profit. If he folds any worse hand in his range (22,44-TT) we have around 34% FE. Its very marginal then since our equity also decreases to 4%. but with our small stack I can't imagine that he can fold so much.

=> push turn as played
  • 3 replies