This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL2 SH 98s

• staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $8.44
      MP3:
      $0.1
      Hero:
      $2.09

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.104 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with 9:club: , 8:club:
      MP3 calls $0.02, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.10, SB calls $0.09, BB folds, MP3 calls $0.08 (All-In).

Flop: ($0.32) J:club: , 7:diamond: , 6:spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.02, Hero calls $0.02.

Turn: ($0.36) K:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.36) 7:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $0.36

Preflop i decided to isolated very shorstacked limper. I just put him all in with my isolation raise. But i guess it isn't profitable to isolate such shorstacks with suite connectors, hands like KT fits better, right?

But i wanted to play, because SB was big fish, playing a lot of big pots, and if i will hit, i'll surely stack him.

Ok, SB calls too. Post flop i decided to play passive because, even if i manage to push SB out of the pot, I'll still have to see showdown, because MP is AI. And i have 9 high.
  • 2 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      We don't want to be isolating MP2 here with 89s for his 10 cents. If you are lucky you have 40% of it, and this is a cash game, not a tournament.

The second reason (quite apart from probably being behind) is we are generally cultivating a tight image. We don't want people easily considering playing over us, and showing down raises with 89s for a potential win of 5 big blinds isn't a great use of our tight table image.

I'm not saying 89s isn't a great raising hand - you could raise here from the button as a steal, or even light-3bet to squeeze or even just to lean on weak tags that nearly always fold to 3bets. I just wouldn't want to show it down for 10 cents. If I show 89s I want it to be as part of a straight, 2 pair, flush or trips while taking a big pot off someone who was not expecting it.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello staktas,

Preflop: Yeah, I totally agree that isolating against $0,10 BB stack ain't the greatest. :D

As played
      Postflop: Nothing much to do here. I wouldn't raise or try to pick anything fancy either. While MP3 is anyways all-in. Not worth to invest any more money. Rather take the good odds.

Best regards.