TenguTupiniquim

• tengutupiniquim
      tengutupiniquim
      Bronze
      Hi, I'm a brazilian noob player who started some 2 months ago with my starting $50 capital. I had no previous experience playing poker up to that point, and started playing $1 SnG Turbos on PartyPoker. Had quite a experience: won some 20-30 and then lost almost all the cash.
      Right now, I'm rebuilding from $6 on NL2 (back to $12) and reading a lot.
      I guess it's all right, since I'm a noob, but really want to improve. That's why I signed.
      Just hope to learn and improve my 'game'.
      Thanks.
  • 10 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Hi tengutupiniquim, (that's quite a mouthful!)

welcome to our beginner's school!
      everyone wants to improve in poker. i hope you will keep the determination to do so, even when the road gets a little rough.

good luck! glad to have you join us!

smiles,
      wendy
    • tengutupiniquim
      tengutupiniquim
      Bronze
      Hey, wendy, tyvm.
      Actually, it should be read Tengu (the proud yokai) Tupiniquim (it's an indian tribe from Brazil, but we use it like a slang for 'brazilian'). Pride is my sin, and sometimes I forget I'm human too >>

Well, homework time!

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Make money and the continuous learning process. I get bored easily, even from VGs, and it really seems that poker will be a never-ending challenge. I want to make a living from it: geting paid for a well done job and no boredom seems like heaven to me.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      • I've played too much on tilt (more than half of my losses were on tilt);
      • Call to light / Push too tight (on SnG);
      • Bad postflop plays (too passive / call too much 3bets);

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?
      TAG means play few quality starting hands when OOP and broadening the range a IP, always leading aggressively.

Well, again, tyvm pokerstrategists!Luck you all!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello tengutupiniquim,

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Most of the other weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands. We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

Welcome to the Course and Good luck! First points earned.
    • tengutupiniquim
      tengutupiniquim
      Bronze
      Hi veriz, and thanks for the advice. After I've started following the SHC closely my gameplay improved a lot. The stop-loss technique worked like a charm and I'm having some great sessions (not a lot of errors, taking notes). Thanks a lot.

A general question though: why SnGs feels like a totally different game? Just because of the prize pool equity and the stack sizes? It's like another game entirelly oO. People handle the pressure you put in a totally different way. A 15BB push is like "WTFOMG T-REX RUN FOR YOUR LIVES !!!1111" while in cash is like "15BB, hm, for what 3:1 pot odds? I'm calling ya". It's amazing xD

Homework time!

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?
      I'd say opening the range a little for blind steal, maybe including some suited one-gappers and defending from blind steal a bit more (3-betting with AQs, AJs, TT+ vs a regular blind stealer). I'm just too noob to try anything fancier yet.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play.
      NL2 FR AQo

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?
      Calculated with Equilator: AKo (46,3%) vs. [88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo] (53,7%)
      A question about this: how do you calc equity manually? I can handle if the answer is math heavy >>

Thanks again pokerstrategists, looking forward for more!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

The main reason about SnGs is that they ain't 100BB game. :) SnGs get at some spot where you just gonna use Push/Fold only. In cash games you will always be playing 100BB. :> That's why actually why I do like playing deep-stack tourneys.

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

Do you really want to see the calculations manually? I wouldn't hurt my head about that. :D Not really worth spending the time for it. :) Trust me. There is much better stuff you rather should use. Which we will soon even have, in next homeworks.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • tengutupiniquim
      tengutupiniquim
      Bronze
      So, here we are again. Sorry for the long time i've took for posting this homework, but I was visiting my folks near São Paulo. Since I've moved to my beach house near Santos, I hate travelling. Here the sun is always shining and we're 600m from a great beach. Plus, my folks don't have any kind of internet there ><

Hey veriz, the school is amazing: my gameplay improved greatly. My winnings are something like 25BB/100, which is very nice for someone who was losing a lot. I still got lost postflop sometimes when I'm not sure I have the best hand, but I'm working on it.

Question 1: You are holding K:sQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3:d3? How does the equity change on the following flop: J:s5:d3?
      50.8 vs 49.2% preflop. Drops to 26.5 vs 73.5% postflop.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?
      No-Limit hold'em $2 (9 handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A:cJ.
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 2:c6:d3 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Totally calling. $0,22 for a $1,13 pot, and he has what? A straight vs. my nut flush draw? The pot odds are good (app 4:1) and if I hit the draw I'm surely extracting value from his stack. I'm not raising though, because I know I can't make better hands fold. Dude is not folding, he made a point already.

Question 3: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your post-flop play.
      NL2 FR Freeplay I'm really a scaredy cat and I think this was an awfull played hand. Looking back I'd change my line to cbet, 2nd barrel and if he called I've probably fold when the A hits. Is it better, worse?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

Well, there is no time limit for posting the homework. :) Feel free to post it whenever you want to or feel ready for it.

You live in Brazil? :) Wow, that's cool. I guess you are living a dream there, warm and sunny. :D And WOW! About the beach, I can't wait till I am done with my university and can find a spot like yours. Warm and sunny and beach near me. :D

I am glad to hear that you are doing great. But that's just the beginning, hopefully we will be able to do even better work with you and help you fix your leaks and move up the limits. :)

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

Also don't worry about posting hands! It will only help you! If you played it badly, so what? At least you posted it and you are trying to learn. ;) Which is the most important part.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • tengutupiniquim
      tengutupiniquim
      Bronze
      Hi there. I'm running late again with the homework; my ISP has been a bitch last couple weeks >>. Results from last week are (for me, at least) really wicked: 1110 hands played, +514BB won. I know it's a small sample, but hey, let me dream, ok?

Hey veriz, if you want a vacation spot, you're invited << Right now it's ok for surf and stuff, but our summer really starts on December, so you have a couple of months to prepare xD

Well, homework time!

Homework 4

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have the initiative post-flop.
      AKo vs 1 limper

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.
      KTs freeplay pot

Question 3: You are on the flop with K:sQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 7:c7. What is your equity in this spot?
      41,4% vs 58,6% (Equilab helped >>)

Homework 5

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.
      66 vs fishes

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.
      NL4 A3 vs short stack

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6 , 7
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3 , 3 , T (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) J (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

Hm, tricky spot. I'd say call. Pot odds are good. BB could be drawing to a flush too with those stats and if he get active when a diamond shows on the river, I'm in trouble; if I had a read on SB set mining, I'd fold; otherwise, I'm betting the river if no diamond shows.

Question 4: Consider the following situation: $10 NL Hold'em (8 handed)

$10 NL Hold'em (8 handed)

[/B]Stacks & Stats[/B]
      UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J , J
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6 , 9 , T (2 players)
      Hero...

What action would you take, and why?
      He's raising with too many hands and his AF is high. No draws on the board, I've got a good hand. I'm betting, 3 betting, shoving him. If he doesn't give up his hand, I have a big chance he ends paying me up. That and on later hands he would respect me a bit more xDDDDD

Well, that's it. Now I'm finally going to lesson 6. Hope to post 6&7 monday. And again, thanks pokerstrategists, it's been a great pleasure.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hi there. I'm running late again with the homework; my ISP has been a bitch last couple weeks >>. Results from last week are (for me, at least) really wicked: 1110 hands played, +514BB won. I know it's a small sample, but hey, let me dream, ok?

What a question! Such wins even motivate you to play A LOT! :) KEEP GOING! Good to hear that you running that great.

Hey veriz, if you want a vacation spot, you're invited << Right now it's ok for surf and stuff, but our summer really starts on December, so you have a couple of months to prepare xD

Oh, thanks for the invitation. Though I have never surfed! I'd really like to learn it, few days back I watched a movie called "Soul Surfer". Was a really good movie, worth watching. :) How a woman lost his hand and she still continued trying to surf. Based on true story.

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Good luck on tables and with the School. Some more points earned.