• Verre
      Hey I'm Verre,

Been a part of the community for a while but I want to break my game back down to the basics. I can never seem to keep consistantly winning. I start a new goal all the time and start winning for the first 10k hands or 1k sngs or whatever the game seems to be, then I slowly degrade into a b/e small loser. It happens time and time again.

I have always been a winning live player, this might be because of the slower pace, more time to make the proper decisions ect. Usually when I play something I start off amazing, making thoughtful plays and such. After a while the mechanical aspect of the game comes back and I start mindlessly making suboptimal decisions without even thinking about them.

My goal here is to break my game down to the bare basics and start over again. I want to become a precision player instead of a volume player. What would be nice would be to crush 4 tables on 6 max (or something along those lines).
  • 5 replies
    • Zhusy
      We have a similar issue. I'm glad to see I am not alone.

And yes, LIVE poker > ONLINE poker
    • purplefizz
      hi verre and zhusy,

welcome to the beginner's school! it surprises me to see you here, i had thought you were quite experienced already. i have many similar problems myself.

anyway, hopefully you will be able to achieve whatever you came here for and help the real newbies when you can.

i'm sure with a lot of hard work and some direction, you will achieve your goals.

have fun!

• Verre
      Hey Purple :D

I have a lot of experience, enough to know I still have some serious leaks in my online play. I remember you from way back when I first joined and you where a silver just like me.

The goal is to hopefully seal up my leaks. I'm also starting a new job/work out routine/healthier eating and I'm hoping with all these stabalizing things it will help me keep my head on straight and keep me thinking at a A level.
    • Verre
      Week 1 Homework.

So I watched the first vid, and then I watched the first coaching video. I cant watch it live as I work during that time. Now for the homework.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I really enjoy the competition. I like mind battles. I also love the fact that you can do something you love that can support your family and yourself. Last but not least I like the gamble. This of course isn't as important as the other things, and sometimes infact can get in the way.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Over weeks/months I become complacent with my play. I have a great A game, but I have serious problems tapping into it. After a few weeks of playing one game, the only game I can bring is my B game. Even if I've been posting hands, watching videos, ect... I still cant seem to bring it. This is really the real reason I'm here. I want to refine my game to a point where I can play percision poker at ALL times.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?
      To play selective preflop, often entering the pot with bets and raises. Come postflop we C-Bet often and continue to put pressure on our opponents. We rely on our strong starting hand range to help us postflop by usually continuing with our strong postflop hands.
    • veriz
      Hello Verre,

Have you thought about why it is that you can't play your A-game for longer time? Tilt? Distraction? Playing too many hands? There might be several reasons for that and I am pretty sure that there is one reason which keeps to switching the gears. Don't always try to concentrate on your game but as well concentrate what makes you tilt easily and have to avoid that.

Welcome to the Course and Good luck! First points earned.