LoOkzor

• LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Figured I would start this locker too. I keep going over the material in books, on here and elsewhere until it is all stuck in my head.

I've got to update my blog but I've been running ok since and my bankroll is growing.

Going to be trying a few other poker sites to see which one I like best.

Onwards and upwards!
  • 7 replies
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Ok, so after going over the homework I realized that I've done those parts and can comfortably answer them:

Why I play poker:

I have always made money gaming in some way or another, be it PC games, flash games or anything else. I've always had an interest in poker, and really feel that I could do well at it given time and practice, just like in other games.

Ultimately, I'm a stay at home dad, my partner works and I earn a bit on the side playing games and owning a few sites. I have a ton of hours available to me and would like to convert that into a decent wage. After reading treat your poker like a business, I found myself aggreeing and being interested by all the concepts applied. I've always liked business, and my second year of study included business so this style of play would be most suitable for me.

Obviously I'd like to play at main events, and earn huge amounts. But that's more of a one off thing, not a nessecity. I have no problem playing well within my limits and applying a very conservative bankroll to achieve a decent wage. I don't want to take shots to make glorrified brags, I can do that when I've got enough BR built up over-time. For now, I just want to make it a business, one that I enjoy and can do from home whilst supplying extra money for my family.

I think my unique circumstances will allow me to really improve a greatdeal and make it a success.

My Weaknesses (those that I know off):

I like to call too many draws. I chase cards on the turn and river hoping to hit and often pay off a load. When I miss, I tilt sometimes. Another weakness is suck outs. I don't always deal great with them and feel like everything is against me.

I'm slowly plugging those leaks, by going after less draws and tilting less. Another less frequent flaw is bluffing on a draw heavy board because I can't let my good high cards or pocket pair go. Again, this is probably just natural and something you come accustomed to when you go over the situation time and time again. The more I play, the more I'll realize that although I may let the cards go, I'm bound to get them again.

Another weakness that can get me into trouble is knowing and fearing what the opponent has, but trying to talk myself into thinking he's bluffing. Most times I'm right in what I think he has, but just because of convincing myself I often go ahead and call.

What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

Alright, so if I remember correctly:

Tight means to play only a good range of starting hands that are usually ahead preflop.

Aggressive means to play those hands as mentioned, aggressively.

And one that can be considered tight, but in my general oppinion doesn't always have to be applied is position. Yes, you may be advised to play hands in certain positions to create less trouble for yourself (thus being tight), but as you grow to learn and play more, that tightness can be loosened as you come accustomed to certain situations.

Why does it work?

It works because usually we'll have the best hand preflop, and most probably the best hand postflop too, hence why we play them aggressively to either win by:

Getting a player to fold
      Or getting a worse hand to call

I think that covers my homework questions. I've watched the video, read the articles (even though I've read it tons of times anyway ;( ), and have now answered my homework questions.

A+ plz :D
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Ok, for anyone who reads this blog, I have a file for you that may be handy for you.

In excel I have a file created that tells you the odds to 1 on landing a card you need depending on the outs you have.

I use this to refer to when I need to work out the pot odds vs outs left.

Here's the link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N1XTTGL8
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      I believe there's also an article here in ps.com about that
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      I just like to have it to hand on excel, with colour to be able to quickly identify the row I want to see :D

I've found it, but it might be useful to someone who can't be arsed to spend time writing it all in to excel. I spent time doing it lol ;P
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello LoOkzor,

Nice chart. :) Although the colors of the background are a bit too light for me. I didn't see my numbers. :D

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Most of the other weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands. We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

Welcome to the Course and Good luck! First points earned.
    • LoOkzor
      LoOkzor
      Bronze
      Thank you :) I think I'll go for a stop loss of 3-4 BI's. I'll see which one suits me best.

Will start posting hands soon.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by LoOkzor
      Thank you :) I think I'll go for a stop loss of 3-4 BI's. I'll see which one suits me best.

Will start posting hands soon.
      You can always switch whichever suits for you the best. Might even remove at some point which I did.