This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] top set v flush

• clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      should I just have check folded the turn?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $1.75
      MP1:
      $1.66
      Hero:
      $2.18
      CO:
      $1.96
      BU:
      $3.57

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q:spade: , Q:club:
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.04, MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, CO calls $0.12, BU calls $0.12, SB folds, BB calls $0.10, MP1 folds.

Flop: ($0.53) Q:heart: , 9:heart: , 2:heart: (4 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.06, CO calls $1.06, 2 folds.

Turn: ($2.65) 5:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1 (All-In), CO calls $0.78 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

River: ($4.21) K:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.21

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Qs Qc)
      CO shows a flush, ace high (Ah 7h)

CO wins with a flush, ace high (Ah 7h)
  • 2 replies
    • Brevvy2190
      Brevvy2190
      Bronze
      Seems to me you bet the flop too heavy, pot-committing yourself straight away.

I understand the reasons for the overbet but 2 times pot was just too big - the same jobs (protection against draws, identification of threats) would've been done by a 1.2 times bet.

This way, check/folding the turn becomes an option as you're not so pot-committed.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello clandestineAl,

I wouldn't over-bet the flop like this. Rather just make a normal bet and I am also definitely going broke. I don't really see how I can get away from here with top-set while they may themselves have worse pairs/draws or even worse sets.

One thing I'd usually do is that I do against a min-raise 4x raise rather than just 3x. With 3x we are giving great odds for him to Call.

Best regards.