[NL2-NL10] top set v flush

• clandestineAl
      should I just have check folded the turn?

Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q:spade: , Q:club:
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.04, MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, CO calls $0.12, BU calls $0.12, SB folds, BB calls $0.10, MP1 folds.

Flop: ($0.53) Q:heart: , 9:heart: , 2:heart: (4 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.06, CO calls $1.06, 2 folds.

Turn: ($2.65) 5:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1 (All-In), CO calls $0.78 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

River: ($4.21) K:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.21

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Qs Qc)
      CO shows a flush, ace high (Ah 7h)

CO wins with a flush, ace high (Ah 7h)
  • 2 replies
    • Brevvy2190
      Seems to me you bet the flop too heavy, pot-committing yourself straight away.

I understand the reasons for the overbet but 2 times pot was just too big - the same jobs (protection against draws, identification of threats) would've been done by a 1.2 times bet.

This way, check/folding the turn becomes an option as you're not so pot-committed.
    • veriz
      Hello clandestineAl,

I wouldn't over-bet the flop like this. Rather just make a normal bet and I am also definitely going broke. I don't really see how I can get away from here with top-set while they may themselves have worse pairs/draws or even worse sets.

One thing I'd usually do is that I do against a min-raise 4x raise rather than just 3x. With 3x we are giving great odds for him to Call.

Best regards.