flowinel

• flowinel
      flowinel
      Bronze
      Hey,

I'm interested and excited about learning to play online poker better.
      I have some experience playing micro & low stakes tables and tournaments.
      I like the idea of going through the articles and lessons as you would in a school.
  • 9 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi flowinel,

welcome to our beginner's course! glad to hear you're excited about learning. the guides are there to help you but you must do the real work yourself.

have fun and good luck!

smiles,
      wendy
    • flowinel
      flowinel
      Bronze
      Here's my first homework

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I like gambling, and while I do want to earn money just like everyone else, I also look forward to the actual games. I've always been competitive whether in real sports, video games or other activities and I see this as an outlet for that. Also I consider my bankroll as an investment of the money I've already earned through other means.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

• I don't analyze my game too much and tend to only play in the moment
      • I find it hard to quit a losing streak even when I recognize I'm on tilt
      • I always feel like I should be moving up the ranks so when I lose some money I tend to play higher stakes to try and win it back quickly
      • I'm not part of a community or have friends that I can share poker experiences and strategies with

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

Playing tight-aggressive means only playing hands that have a good chance of winning in the long run and playing them by betting and raising appropriately instead of just limping in or folding in fear of losing money.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello flowinel,

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

What do you mean you are not part of a community? You did join with the course and now you are part of a big learning group. :) We have to get along at least 8 weeks together and all the other students. So this leak we fixed already.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • flowinel
      flowinel
      Bronze
      Hey veriz,

Thanks for the reply, looking forward to learning more from you and other members.

Where can I set this stop loss on the PokerStars software? I fiddled around the options a bit but couldn't find it.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Unfortunately there is no such software which will set that kind of thing. Time to time you have to Check yourself the stats how much you are down and then decide according to that.
    • flowinel
      flowinel
      Bronze
      Hey again,
      Today I started playing on PokerStars. I deposited $200 and figured with that bankroll I should play the FR NL5.
      The problem I encountered was that the 0,02$-0,05$ tables on Stars have a $12,5 max buy-in which is 250 BIs instead of the suggested 100 in the BSS articles. What should I do in this case? What I did is just buy in with $5.

Another thing I want to ask is how should I go about analyzing my play. What I've been doing so far is using Elephant to import my hands and looking at my numbers in the beginner tab. I've realized that I was a bit loose from checking my VP$IP and also that my Went to Showdown was off the charts at 50.
      What else should I be looking at?

Hope it's not too much to read or silly questions,
      Florinel.
    • flowinel
      flowinel
      Bronze
      2nd Homework

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?

I would steal blinds from button or cutoff even with cards that are considered thrash on the SHC such as A2o against opponents that are very tight and are not calling or raising me.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play.

NL5 AK Cbet

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?

About 46%.
    • flowinel
      flowinel
      Bronze
      After over 6k hands played I see that my VPiP is considered loose at around 17 and my PFR is ok at around 13. Should I consider tightening up or is this acceptable especially since it's only 6k hands? I've also straightened out my after flop play since I noticed I was too aggressive.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

The problem I encountered was that the 0,02$-0,05$ tables on Stars have a $12,5 max buy-in which is 250 BIs instead of the suggested 100 in the BSS articles. What should I do in this case? What I did is just buy in with $5.

Yeah, if you are rather beginner then just buy-in for 100BB. Not worth playing 250BB and facing very difficult spots. Lets learn first 100BB game and then move to deep-stack when we are ready.

Another thing I want to ask is how should I go about analyzing my play. What I've been doing so far is using Elephant to import my hands and looking at my numbers in the beginner tab. I've realized that I was a bit loose from checking my VP$IP and also that my Went to Showdown was off the charts at 50.

Definitely you should try posting hands. From the stats it's pretty obvious that you are going to showdown too often. Although it's very likely that you just don't have a great sample size.

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

After over 6k hands played I see that my VPiP is considered loose at around 17 and my PFR is ok at around 13. Should I consider tightening up or is this acceptable especially since it's only 6k hands? I've also straightened out my after flop play since I noticed I was too aggressive.

Seems to be fine, I wouldn't really tighten up. If you are doing good with those stats then continue playing with them. :) Although that might be true that being over-aggressive you just gonna loose too much money. Rather try to find balance.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.