Pilks7

• Pilks7
      Pilks7
      Bronze
      Hi, I'm from the UK, used to play FT, now Titan Poker. Both I play mostly 10NL. I started out playing 25NL and just utilising maniac fold value (and occasional pay offs for massive hands) and mostly broke even. I then started to read articles and use pokerstrategy and begun to play super-nit style.

Since finding Titan Poker, I now vary my play between LAG and TAG/NIT (depending on table variations), mostly 10 max, but also 6 max and HU. I am a break even/SLIGHTLY winning player, but very often I burn money on bluffs (which almost never work at 10NL)

Now I am working hard on my game to stop leaks and improve up the stakes. Although I feel maybe this course is a little basic, I think I can definitely learn some things.

So bring it on
  • 3 replies
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Hey Pilks7,

Welcome to the Locker Room and of course the Beginners Course! Working hard on one's game is pretty important to grow as a poker player. Glad you already have the good mindset for that. I'm sure this course will give you valuable insights to help you become a better player.

Good luck at the tables!

All the best,

NIVEKii
    • Pilks7
      Pilks7
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

My motivations for playing are that I find poker very fun, and mainly this is due to learning and gaining intelligence, and stretching myself, and also testing my wits against others. I love to study and learn, and since school and university have finished, I have taken poker (and basketball for my physical education/wellbeing) as my next education in life, to keep me entertained and occupied by learning new things.
      As a game I chose poker over other things because its complexity interests me. There are many many (winning) approaches to the game, as I can see, and there is constantly new thinking/new approaches to be seen and discovered.
      Obviously I am focusing very much on short term goals at the moment, but the potential long term goal of playing profitably, and even professionally, is something I have considered, but laid to rest at the back of my mind for the moment.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are doing during your games? Are you playing while tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write as many as you think are affecting you.)

Currently my main mistake, I believe, which cancels virtually all of my winning edge, is in overplaying hands. This is mainly attempting bluffs where i see slight weaknesses etc., which are often correct reads, but rarely pay off, as microstakes players have great difficulty finding a fold. Other leaks are that I rarely tilt, but when I VERY occasionally I tilt, I lose almost my entire bankroll. So I need incorporate a stop-loss system into my game. Obviously there are others, but these are the main ones I have discovered so far, after the very short time I have started post-session analyses.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is, and why does it work.)

TAG works by playing only the strongest percentage of hands, (dependent on your table position) It works very well in micro and low limits, where there is so much equity due to mistakes made by players. Obviously as we move up the stakes, it will be necessary to play looser in order for people to play back at us, so we can make money with our strong hands, and force villain to guess and make more mistakes, which is the name of the game!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Pilks7,

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands. We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

About tilting it's definitely the case when you fall into so called "downswing". Then you will start loosing the money. And in which place you definitely have to set a stop-loss. If you struggle in such a tilt which almost makes you broke then there is no way you can play without stop-loss. Start already today and put something like 3BIs and then adjust to your play/tables whatever stop-loss system you want to have.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.