Qq & Ak Preflop! (fr)

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      (edit: didn't see the post below this one but o well!)

ok so what about QQ and AK preflop... i know its opp.dependent but i never know how far to push these hands. i dont remember ever trying to go broke preflop with QQ or AK using BSS (maybe with the exception of extremely maniacal opponents but its rare). so i dont want to overplay them but i also dont want to be too weak with them.

last night this happened and i dont know if i should have played it differently... i'll just post the preflop because im okay with the hands post flop.

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q :heart: , Q :diamond:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, 2 folds, BB raises to $0.26, Hero calls $0.18.

should i have just called his 3bet? or should i have considered a 4bet? or maybe a fold? idk. i had this particular hand evaluated and veriz said it was okay because of his stats but im more concerned about how to play this in other situations. obviously its rare at nl2 to have enough stats gathered for them to be very meaningful. so as a general rule how should i play QQ or AK preflop? do i fold to 3bet? 4bet? call the 3bet? also, factoring in position.... just need a few ideas. thanks!
  • 6 replies
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      I go broke with QQ often, but then that depends on how light the opponent is willing to go broke. You dont necessarily need stats, if you see the opponent going all in with something like TT then go all in with your queens, youl probably be ahead of his range. However if an opponent has raised and he is a complete nit, sometimes its only just worth calling for setvalue (imagine a 6/1 person over 1.5k hands, ive seen it). I will mention I find it rare that calling a 3bet is actually a decent move, rather 4bet or fold, but situations do arise where it is good to do so.
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      I think call is fine preflop but if you 4bet i think u must call a 5bet.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      It would help if you could post stack size information for yourself and the opponent, if hes a shortstack I generally wouldnt think twice about getting it all in right there, unless I had additional information
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      alright thanks for the feedback. i was just using the above as an example but i guess we could say we have equal stacks for one scenario and he has a 55BB for another etc. i've always thought 4bet/fold line was not a very good one so i dont really consider it an option - i know at 2nl i don't remember ever seeing someone 3bet fold, they just end up pushing.. i guess it would probably be an option at higher limits though..
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      You need take in the account that if u 4bet then u must be ptrepared to go broke as it will became mathematically unconfortable to 4bet/fold pre-flop with and hand of great potentiality like QQ, AK.

Finally, as almost every1 already told you, most depend from yuor opponents and the reads (stats) you got on them.

Also, I think maybe this article may help

AA and QQ at low limits

Hope that's help :)
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      yea thanks kiroman, i just saw those columns! will start reading :D