• Maartinss
      Start playing poker about 2 years ago. Have same success, but has a lot of leaks.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Make some extra money, and my target now are earn enough money for Dj equipment.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      playing while tired, tilting easily..

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?
      Tight-aggressive play mean wait for good hands like TT+, AJ+, and play them aggressive - bet/raise/re-raise and fold when you hadnt probably the best hand or odds for drawing are too small.
  • 14 replies
      Hello Maartinss

Welcome to the NL Beginners Course.

I truly hope you get rewarded for you hard work throughout the course and become a better/improved player from it :)

Wishing you every success,

• veriz
      Hello Maartinss,

I know from my own experience that playing while tired might make you even tilt easily. You should watch out for that. Also have to find a way how to adjust to that. :) While we still like to play, even if we are tired.

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • Maartinss
      Was realy great coaching, and finally understand Call20 rule.
      Here are some examples:

PokerStars - $0.02 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 9 players

CO: $3.28
      BTN: $0.77
      SB: $1.15
      BB: $2.28
      UTG: $1.42
      Hero (UTG+1): $1.50
      MP: $0.75
      MP+1: $0.98
      LP: $0.17

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has 5:heart: 5:club:

fold, Hero calls $0.02, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.08, fold, fold, fold

BTN wins $0.07

So in this example BTN must be at least 1,20$ to call and try to hit set, right?

PokerStars - $0.02 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 9 players

SB: $1.01
      BB: $2.51
      UTG: $1.97
      UTG+1: $1.56
      MP: $1.44
      MP+1: $2.00
      LP: $2.09
      CO: $1.09
      Hero (BTN): $1.44

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has 6:club: 6:spade:

fold, fold, MP calls $0.02, fold, LP raises to $0.08, fold, Hero calls $0.08, fold, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.21, 2 players) 3:diamond: 6:heart: 7:club:
      LP bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.41, 2 players) J:diamond:
      LP checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.41, 2 players) 4:club:
      LP checks, Hero bets $0.18, LP calls $0.18

Hero shows 6:club: 6:spade
      LP mucks 9:diamond: 9:club
      Hero wins $0.74

And here I cold call PF from BTN, becouse opp has 2,09$,
      0.08x20=1.60$ So on flop hit a set and get paid.
    • veriz
      Yeah, with the fast calculations. But we can also take into account what is already in the pot. :)

Although I would advice you to post the hands into HE forums, you already made mistake by slowplaying your set. :P
    • Maartinss
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?

Just week ago start serious using BSS starting hand chart, and right now all was worked fine. Has made great lead downs and calls what was save money, earn it. When I will be comfortable with this chart only then I could strart play differently.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play.

55 for set mining.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?

According to equilab the equity of AKo against the top 5% of hands is 46.32%.

p.s. was copy paste it from others answers, becouse this programm dont work on Mac and cant find any good one.. :(
    • Maartinss
      Have question about bankroll management.

So for NL2 need ~ 25BI and that much BI must be for any table?
      Suppose I play on 4 tables and my bankroll must be at least 200$ right?

Personally, I play on two tables and at the moment have ~36 BI for NL2, and now I want add one or two table more, so I need to rebay or play that same two table when I reach 90-100$ and then add two NL2 tables in lieu of it move up too stakes?
    • veriz
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Very good approach to start playing for the beginning according the SHC. I wouldn't change much. :) Just learn the preflop play, postflop play and if you are experienced well enough then you can always adjust.

Well, don't worry about the equity calculations. Although have you tried some odds calculators from the websites? I mean try google: poker odds calculator or something similar. And they will do practically the same. :)

If you are playing more tables it doesn't meant that you need so much BR for that. It just for example if you want to move to NL10 then you would need 25BIs = $250 but for more tables I'd advice to have more BIs like 30BIs or so. Also the higher you go the more BI rule I would set.

For different people the BI rule works differently. Some use even more nitty BRM like 100BIs. :)

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • Maartinss
      Question 1: You are holding K:spade: Q :spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :diamond: 3 :club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: ?

PreFlop: K:spade: Q :spade: has 50,1% equity
      3 :diamond: 3 :club: has 49,2% equity
      Tie: 0,7%

Flop: K:spade: Q :spade: has 23,2% equity
      3 :diamond: 3 :club: has 76,8% equity

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

I dont like that pot size hero bet at all with draw + over cards. In almost all cases we are far behind.
      1) against straight we have ~17%
      2) against set we have ~15%
      3) against two pair ~15%
      4) against pair ~ 30%

But looking at pot odds we get 4:1
      Started think about it, and come to conclusion that I dont realy understand Outs and Odds(pdf.) this chart! How much odds we need to call on turn? On flop would be 4:1, but on turn?

So right now I am confuse what will be right decision. By equity I will fold, but by pot odds I call and see river and then if I miss all outs certainly fold.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

JTs on BB
    • veriz
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • Maartinss
      So about for week or two playing now on NL5 and are litlle frustrated, becouse dont know how to play, all my tactics dont work.
      About preflop raise - try open with 4BB, but almost every time all fold and I from my good hands dont get any value.

Reduce my raise to 3BB, but now get callers, who too often suck out with two pairs or sets..and so on and that slowly put me on tilt.
      So right now NL5 seems to me unbeatable!

Any suggestions?
    • Maartinss
      Time for homework. :)
      Just minute ago lost a flip in Sunday Storm AKo vs KQo...

So first question:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

NL5 FR AQo in EP

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

Question 3: You are on the flop with K :spade: Q :diamond: . The board cards are J :spade: , 9 :club: , 8 :heart: , and your opponent holds 7 :club: 7 :heart: . What is your equity in this spot?

K :spade: Q :diamond: vs 7 :club: 7 :heart: 39%/61%
    • Maartinss
      +10k hands!!

I have reach 10k hands from this NL Beginners Cousre start. I am not a big grinder, but this number for me are huge, manage pretty good upswing in NL2 and then I move to NL5 where I start slowly, but loosing.

here are graph:

By maartinss at 2011-10-11[/IMG]
    • RasTweet
      Hey Maartinss

About going to NL5 I had the same problem as well. This is what I did.

I made sure I had about $130 and then play a bit tighter on NL5 then I would on NL2. Maybe play a table less. Observe the tables, it's a new limit, look at how they play and adjust to that. After a while I got the feel on NL5 and started to play a bit more hands and earn some money =D

But hey this is how it worked for me.

• veriz
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

try open with 4BB, but almost every time all fold and I from my good hands dont get any value.

It's just most likely your mind playing around with you. You are just making yourself tilt if you watch this kind of things. And I really doubt that it's gonna change much either you do 3xBB or just 4xBB, just most likely you realized to watch the spots where you raised 4x more than 3x. :) Keep it easy and simple on LP I don't even mind the 3xBB raise where you also have a wider range.

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

From your graph it also seems that you are loosing a lot money with showdowns, most likely calling too much down. :( You should get your play-style in order, kinda seems that you are over-aggressive postflop.

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.