Table selection 5CD

• moneymaker19
      moneymaker19
      Bronze
      Hello. I have just read the article series by EvGalois and it's really great! It's one thing however that I don't understand. You keep talking about how important table selection is, but you don't say (as far as I remember) what we should look for when we choose table.

Soo... what should I be looking for? :coolface:
  • 3 replies
    • EvGalois
      EvGalois
      Bronze
      Haha! Thank you! Yes you are correct on that in a way - I am not exactly mentioning in detail that you should sit with player X that plays this way and player Z that does this etc... My introduction article however mentions some common mistakes that many players make. I also point out how we not should play. So the conclusion would be: we should find tables that does the exact opposite of a so called "correct" and "proper" way of playing FL 5CD. A general mistake many players do is limping pairs (and even two pairs) and if you mind tables with many passive "limpers" then you are on the right way.

I could cover this in a much bigger chapter and expand and elaborate more on the player note aspect (I wasn't really thorough there but just gave you an idea). But to make it short. Let me point out a few things then that could be useful when you are assessing what tables that you could join.

- Aggression/looseness. You could look for average pot and "players/draw" and find the highest values there. It's a good way to begin before you look at specific players at each table.

- Country/nationality. Well, in the beginning this was very useful since it was plain to see that Greece, Italy, France, Spain and many of the eastern europe players were poor opposition. Even Germany was a bit "late" to begin to play poker so I had many good customers from there too. Today IMO I think Spain has the worst players as far as 5CD. Now it seems that Italian players are back (at least on Boss/IPN) for cashgames and I am very happy for that (believe they have been ring-fenced due to the legislation in Italy). I watch out for my own country, Norway, Denmark and perhaps Finland too (even though they have serious problems with alcohol) but especially Ukraine (huge 5CD-country as strange as it may sound with many excellent PL-players). Russia has both good and bad players. Remember that Russia should be considered the new "USA" since it has a rich middle (upper) class and they found poker some years ago. You find really good players but IMO the average russian player is more or less "plancton" as far as the poker ecosystem. Sorry Russia!
      Well when I am basing these country-ideas as far as online poker I dig also into some culture aspects (abstract of course) and how the tradition with online poker and gambling in general looks for each country. They could be important but don't put too much emphasis on them. The answer is ofc on an individual level.

- The actions of the specific players. When I find a loose table I take it to an individual level and look for the flaws in each player's game. Is he limping hands he should raise or fold? Is he never let go of bb? Most important is if you find passive players. But sitting down with a hyper-aggro player that has no clue about hand selection is just as nice. There are still many players (and it used to be on especially on Ongame) that only use the raising button. I will not point out any usernames here specifically.

Well these are some things you could look for in your selection process. I will probably come up with more things soon and complete this list.
    • p44mc
      p44mc
      Bronze
      On pokerstars table selection is pointless at FL $2/$4 and above as there's never many tables running - at lower limits I had problems at FL $0.50/$1 when looking for tables with lots of players playing passively/limping as there are often 3/4 (even 5!) to a draw so you get outdrawn a lot more, you also can't bet for value as lite post draw - this is less of a problem with PL and NL as you can raise limpers out, but be careful with FL!

I've found seat selection at FL quite important lately, a lot of regs will raise almost any hand when its folded to their SB - but quite a few will limp/fold a lot when its folded to their SB so I keep notes and try to sit on the left of these players so your not being forced into playing marginal hands by an aggressive SB. Do you have any thoughts on this EvGalois?

Spanish def worst 5CD players, Germans not great - but I agree with EvGalois, players from Ukraine seem pretty solid! You can tell 5CD must be big there! On pokerstars players from Argentina don't seem very strong. Russians are mixed.
    • EvGalois
      EvGalois
      Bronze
      Yes seat selection is definitely an aspect that should be added! Thank you for that one. There are indeed some regular players I like to have on my left that raise their sb 9/10. To mention one name I would like to say "Querogol" (Tarragona, Spain I believe). He was horrible before but has altered his game a bit and is not that bad. He is one player you would like on your right. When it is up to him in sb it's a raise 10/10. Same with Candido27 who was a reg. up to 5-10 but was seen playing 200-400 TD lowball last week (probably won a tourney then). Überaggro player indeed.

Agree with you for the rest of Spain. Yes Argentina should be added. I also forgot Brazil! Also an important country (where poker is booming). Everyone apart from Joao M. playing 5CD is not good.