riskcore

• riskcore
      riskcore
      Bronze
      Hello I'm probably the greatest poker player ever (I beat all my friends and do well in pub tournaments), but I' ve just been ridiculously unlucky online thus appearing like a consistently losing player.

Obviously untrue, but reflective of my mentality before I joined poker strategy. After exploring the extensive contents of the website its slowly sinking in how much of a massive fish I am.
      Just finished my chartered accountant qualification and I can't get a sodding job. So I started playing poker mostly cause I had a lot of time to burn. It never really hit me that i could make money profitably until I found poker strategy. So I really owe poker strategy a big debt, its a tremendous website with a really innovative system.

I found myself enjoying the learning process almost as much as playing.Therefore not to be outdone, I will redirect my efforts to learning instead of playing, before I redirect my wrath at the poker community, grrrrr

anyway looking forward to this class with all fellow poker players, I've seen a lot of you guys on party poker stealing my money.( I want it back, wasnt ready).
  • 12 replies
    • riskcore
      riskcore
      Bronze
      ok here's the homework while I'm here

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      short-term goal: simply to improve game
      middle- long-term goal: able to make supplementary income from playing poker
      long-term goal: achieve greatness!!!! have a walking stick made out of £50 notes while sneering at tramps and children

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      tilt, everyone's said said tilt, but I guess it applies to a lot of people
      Play too loose/ bluff too much
      lack of focus/attentiveness
      general lack of poker knowledge, ( being fixed)

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?
      playing tighter range of hands, but betting big amounts with those hands to either to get better hands to fold or worse hands to call.
    • Huckebein
      Huckebein
      Bronze
      Hi riskcore,

welcome to the course! We'll guide you towards winning in online poker, the course is perfect for getting some discipline and focus on poker!

Regards
      Huckebein
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello riskcore,

Tilt is mostly for everyone, I'd say that:
      Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Most of the other weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands. We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

Also, you will always improve your poker knowledge but you already took your first steps joining this course. :)

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • riskcore
      riskcore
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?
      The starting hands guide feels extremely tight. Putting it into practice was almost physically painful, as I folded hands which I would have pushed previously, these are the areas I had the most difficulty applying.

1)folding 88-99 in early position and only calling in middle position.
      I feel like these hands are pretty decent value hands with a bit of show-down value. From my experience raising first with these hands normally results in heads -up Vs AJs/o+ or a lower pocket pair and i get fold equity if i raise first. I can also get away from the cards real easy when i get 3bet by good opponent,(shove vs bluffer) and if I get called its a easy fold when the flop shows something nasty.

[B]2)folding AQs-ATs in early position, also folding these hands after an opponent has limped. [/B]
      Experimenting with folding AQs in one game was just insane,it hurt even more because I would have hit the flush on the flop. I think raising these hands first in is acceptable in any position, good playability + chance of opponents folding, and I think my hands just looks so strong from raising anyway in early position, that people are unlikely to go over the top, (especially if I have quite a nittish image). Am I over-representing my hand?
      I do have a some problems with folding TPGK, post flop, which i guess is a reason to fold them, but on the whole I feel like folding them is just unprofitable.
      folding after a limper in early and middle position is probably an extremely safe play, cause I have been trapped a few times. But generally I feel these plays are really weak, low pocket pairs at best, and can be ignored, so just raise a bit higher to compensate for the limp.

3) folding KQs-JTs in middle position, and also folding them in late position after limper(s)
      Previously I called these cards in early position and raised in middle, but that got me into loads of bad spots. But I still believe these cards deserve at least a call in middle position and after limpers because they have a lot of playability. but I do feel this is also highly dependent on opponents. vs a good opponent I constantly run into chances of domination.

4)calling with JJ-TT vs late position raiser
      I used to push everyone in preflop with these hands ( those were the good ol days). Going from that to calling a late position raiser seems a bit much). I think again its highly opponent depending. But unless the guy is a total rock who never bluffs I am 4bet/pushing.

5) Raising with AKo/s no matter what actions/position preceded you
      I'm like wtf raise?? with AKo? everything? even vs utg raisers?? I'm quite a loose player but this feels a bit much. I understand its the best drawing hand, but it still needs to hit. I have enormous difficulty in playing Ak, and just raising it in all circumstances cannot be a smart move for a player who does not play the hand well. I believe playing Ak is highly opponent specific and I really cant believe raising in all situations can be profitable in the long term.
      3betting early and mp1 maybe mp2 raisers ( do i go allin after a 4bet? and if not why did i bet in the first place? is this a semi-bluff?)often puts me in very uncomfortable positions . To me it often seems at best a coinflip and at worst i'm completely crushed.
      Postflop is even worse.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play.

Preflop queens
      I really should have folded this hand.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?

Ok by my calculations 34% but since thats horribly wrong the equilator says 46%
      hooray for the equilator
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Playing PPs in smaller stakes is can be really profitable. You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that.

About AQs-ATs & KQs-JTs. It's actually totally fine even to play with those hands whatever position you want. The chart is mainly made for beginners and try to avoid them playing OOP and having marginal situations. The better you get the wider your range goes. Also you can always track your abilities either you earn money with the hands or not. :)

JJ-TT is definitely way overplayed if you are always going to 4bet/Push or whatsoever. I am pretty sure you ain't gonna play those hands very profitable. It's really opponent dependent and without reads we can't do it profitable. Since at the best we anyways get a coinflip.

The same actually goes for AK type of hand. It's way too often overplayed. You practically at the best get a coinflip again with the hand and against standard reg or a bit tigher guy you might be even in bad shape rather than in good. Have to pick the spots where you should 3bet and where not, plus of course the opponents against you should. Sometimes you might even turn your hand into bluff by 3bet/Folding for example.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • riskcore
      riskcore
      Bronze
      homework 3
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on the following flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task)

preflop: 50%
      postflop 26%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" is not sufficient)
      No-Limit hold'em $2 (9 handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ.
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Call
      With a minraise bet we need to put 22 to win total pot of 113,
      22/113=roughly 20%

Min raises on the turn normally signal a lot of strength, so if we give opponent a really good range Ad4d/22/44/55/66/KdQd/KcQc/78s/99-JJ
      we still get 35% equity.
      therefore it is an easy call. This is also not taking into account implied odds,(opponent depending) as the backdoor flush draw would be less obvious when played this way.

Question 3: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your post-flop play.
      post flop problem
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • riskcore
      riskcore
      Bronze
      thx a lot veriz!!!

really appreciate the help

school is actually really awesome, i think following the class has really helped with the speed of progression and would recommend to anyone, even players of intermediate skills
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Thanks for the feedback and I do agree with you, that even more advanced players are in need of the course. They can always ask for help and obviously a lot of homeworks are even good for them.
    • riskcore
      riskcore
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have the initiative post-flop. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)

post flop with initiative

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users first.)

NL10 AK missed value bet

I' m not sure if my comments were very useful,

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

KQ:59%
      77:41%
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

Although are you sure about the 3rd question equity calculation? :) Guess you messed up a bit.

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
    • riskcore
      riskcore
      Bronze
      question 3 wrong way round
      KQ: 41%
      77: 59%

Thx, I'm watching a lot of hasenbraten's videos this week

His videos are very good