[NL2-NL10] NL5 River Sucker Punch

• Phildini
      I make a standard pre-flop reraise with AQ in position. I'm hoping for the pot straight away but villain calls.

The flop comes low and its checked to me, I think there's a good chance villain is also on 2 high cards and thus I make a c-bet to get villain to fold. He calls.

The turn is a blank and I've now given up the pot. villain could be trapping me with an overpair or potentially have two high cards. If they have a pair then checking it down is good for me. If they have 2 high cards I am ahead and want to see a showdown.

The Ace hits on the river. I cannot see villain on 2 pair as it would have been a massive pre-flop call and why would villain not have bet the flop/turn as top pair would have been a weak hand.

I conclude villain has either completely missed and is making a fishy move or villain is on A9s+

I make the call ... and cry

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q, A.
      2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.15, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.60, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.45.

Flop: ($1.27) 7, 2, 6 (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.90, MP3 calls $0.90.

Turn: ($3.07) 8 (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($3.07) A (2 players)
      MP3 bets $3.50, Hero calls $3.50.

Final Pot: $10.07.

Results follow:

MP3 shows three of a kind, sevens(7h 7d).
      Hero shows a pair of aces(Qs Ac).

MP3 wins with three of a kind, sevens(7h 7d).
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      Hello Phildini,

Preflop: What's the reason for 3bet? Is he opening a lot of hands or what was your plan? Value? Bluff?

As played
      Flop: What hands do you expect him to make here fold which called the 3bet? Without knowing the opponent I am not a huge fan of CBetting here.

As played
      Turn: Nothing much to add, he ain't gonna fold what he called on flop.

As played
      River: He didn't even have many hands on flop which missed or anything which he could bluff here. I don't really see what we beat. I am definitely folding here without knowing the opponent.

Best regards.
    • Phildini
      Pre-flop :

I re-raise to ideally steal the initial raise and the blinds. Normally I find the average player is raising A9+ and most pocket pairs. Often they will fold these to a re-raise.

If I am called its generally with a worse Ace hoping to hit, in this situation I am in position to take the pot on the flop if it comes favourably, either to value bet my better Ace or bluff and take it down.

If villain re-raises I fold as he likely has AK or 1010+

I think I struggle with what I am trying to represent, as a large part of villains range is pocket pairs I should not have bet.

My only concern is I was the pre-flop aggressor and do not want to be bluffed on the turn if I just check the flop.

I agree with you, I think it was a greedy call, instead of thinking I just saw the ace and profit
    • veriz
      Preflop play is kinda fine as I see from your comments. At least you understand that you ain't doing it for pure value. :)

Of course the flop bet ain't purely off but the problem with the bet is that sometimes we might even go for 2 or even 3barrels to get him off some weaker PPs.