This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 River Sucker Punch

• Phildini
      Phildini
      Bronze
      I make a standard pre-flop reraise with AQ in position. I'm hoping for the pot straight away but villain calls.

The flop comes low and its checked to me, I think there's a good chance villain is also on 2 high cards and thus I make a c-bet to get villain to fold. He calls.

The turn is a blank and I've now given up the pot. villain could be trapping me with an overpair or potentially have two high cards. If they have a pair then checking it down is good for me. If they have 2 high cards I am ahead and want to see a showdown.

The Ace hits on the river. I cannot see villain on 2 pair as it would have been a massive pre-flop call and why would villain not have bet the flop/turn as top pair would have been a weak hand.

I conclude villain has either completely missed and is making a fishy move or villain is on A9s+

I make the call ... and cry

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $5.16
      BU (Hero):
      $5.22
      SB:
      $3.18
      BB:
      $4.28
      MP1:
      $4.44
      MP2:
      $5.64
      MP3:
      $5.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q, A.
      2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.15, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.60, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.45.

Flop: ($1.27) 7, 2, 6 (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.90, MP3 calls $0.90.

Turn: ($3.07) 8 (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($3.07) A (2 players)
      MP3 bets $3.50, Hero calls $3.50.

Final Pot: $10.07.

Results follow:

MP3 shows three of a kind, sevens(7h 7d).
      Hero shows a pair of aces(Qs Ac).

MP3 wins with three of a kind, sevens(7h 7d).
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Phildini,

Preflop: What's the reason for 3bet? Is he opening a lot of hands or what was your plan? Value? Bluff?

As played
      Flop: What hands do you expect him to make here fold which called the 3bet? Without knowing the opponent I am not a huge fan of CBetting here.

As played
      Turn: Nothing much to add, he ain't gonna fold what he called on flop.

As played
      River: He didn't even have many hands on flop which missed or anything which he could bluff here. I don't really see what we beat. I am definitely folding here without knowing the opponent.

Best regards.
    • Phildini
      Phildini
      Bronze
      Pre-flop :

I re-raise to ideally steal the initial raise and the blinds. Normally I find the average player is raising A9+ and most pocket pairs. Often they will fold these to a re-raise.

If I am called its generally with a worse Ace hoping to hit, in this situation I am in position to take the pot on the flop if it comes favourably, either to value bet my better Ace or bluff and take it down.

If villain re-raises I fold as he likely has AK or 1010+

Flop:

I think I struggle with what I am trying to represent, as a large part of villains range is pocket pairs I should not have bet.

My only concern is I was the pre-flop aggressor and do not want to be bluffed on the turn if I just check the flop.

River:

I agree with you, I think it was a greedy call, instead of thinking I just saw the ace and profit
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Preflop play is kinda fine as I see from your comments. At least you understand that you ain't doing it for pure value. :)

Of course the flop bet ain't purely off but the problem with the bet is that sometimes we might even go for 2 or even 3barrels to get him off some weaker PPs.