Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.04
      MP2:
      $2.7

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.101 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , 2:heart:
      MP2 calls $0.02, 4 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.05) 5:diamond: , 4:club: , 3:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: ($0.05) 6:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.05, MP2 raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $2.02 (All-In), MP2 calls $1.87.

River: ($4.09) T:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.09

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP2 shows a straight, seven high (Td 7d)
      Hero shows (Ac 2h)

MP2 wins with a straight, seven high (Td 7d)

I think I played this hand all wrong as I think I should have folded the turn
      and don't think I thought the hand trough correctly. I put him on an over pair or over card like TJ+ and my possibly a small pair, but didn't consider an alterative hands such as suited connecter and the like and when my hand hit I went for check raise on the flop.
  • 5 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      The only thing worse than not getting paid for flopping a monster is going broke because you slowplayed it and gave away free cards to a bigger monster.

Slowplay is rarely profitable unless the villain is very aggressive, often trying to steal pots that are checked to them.

OOP you had to bet that flop. Pot it. If he calls it might let you know to be scared by the 6 falling.

As played (having decided to slowplay the flop) I don't mind the bet, and I would continue in spite of the villain's raise, but the hero-shove was too much. You isolated against bigger straights or sets here and basically pushed out 88+. Raise to 45 cents and see what he does. If he shoves over you you can decide if you are scared by the 4-straight board or not.

I would probably go unhappily broke with the idiot-end straight in this situation as there are just too many other limped hands the villain can shove here that we are in front of (33-66, 88+, 8x club draws that also have a gutshot).

Ultimately a pot-sized bet on the flop would probably have won you a 5 cent pot. It might sound terrible to only get 5 cents for flopping a straight, but it is a whole lot better than losing a buy in to a bigger straight one card later!
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Likely I would not fold turn my straight, but I don´t see no reason to shove turn. B/c turn and then c/c half potsize bet seems a lot better option
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello themagpiespg,

Why don't you bet the flop? It's just horrible when you are Checking in those cases. Bet it and start to protect.

As played what worse hand will Call you if you shove? At the best you might split here. Also if the opponent raises here or would shove himself like you did then we had an easily fold since it's only the nuts and we Call only for the split. In this case rather Bet/Call than Bet/Shove. Bet/Shove you just overplay your hand and most likely never will see worse.

Best regards.
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      I know Jaissica I broke the never go broke in an unraised pot rule but I think my greed got the better of me here.

just have to learn from the mistake, thanks guys
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      This is a common leak in everyone's play :) Stars in our eyes!

The worst is when you go all in with top2 pair from the big blind. Nearly always you are being burnt by a set :(