NL FR with ante

• 5 replies
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey Gnostradamus,

As you've probably noticed, pots will be substantial bigger than the normal "non-ante" games. There isn't any need to raise any bigger preflop because of the dead money because players will fold to a 3x raise just as often as a 4x-5x raise when following the rules here on PokerStrategy.com.

Regards,

Kyle.
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by justkyle88
      Hey Gnostradamus,

As you've probably noticed, pots will be substantial bigger than the normal "non-ante" games. There isn't any need to raise any bigger preflop because of the dead money because players will fold to a 3x raise just as often as a 4x-5x raise when following the rules here on PokerStrategy.com.

Regards,

Kyle.
      If that's the case, doesn't it mean that there is a reason to raise bigger pre? When you've got AA, you want them to put 5bb into pot pre rather than 3...
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      It's just what I've noticed from those tables. Higher lvls might be a different story but generally it's not to big of a difference.

Regards,

Kyle.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      In tournaments, when the ante structure begins, even on PokerStars where the blinds change from 100/200 to 100/200/25, I begin stealing a lot more. It seems like stealing with more marginal holdings is far better now, as instead of making 1.5BB if your steal succeeds, you make 3.3BB. With that kind of money on the line, I would raise ATC on the rare occasions that it gets open-folded to the SB, and raise far more liberally from the BTN and CO. However, I am not an accomplished cash-game player, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Also read this, and consider how much more effective it would be if you earned 2.2x the money whenever you successfully stole the blinds.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/78/micro-stakes-full-ring/concept-week-4-blind-stealing-419666/
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      Steal a lot more; when it's folded to you in late position, raise more hands in an attempt to take down the pot preflop since there is more money to be won now.

You may notice that your opponents will play back at you more because of this so take that into consideration when playing your pots.