[NL2-NL10] 2NL A3s

• esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $2.07
      CO (Hero):
      $1.90
      BU:
      $5.00
      SB:
      $1.94
      BB:
      $2.33
      UTG:
      $3.04
      UTG1:
      $2.05
      UTG2:
      $9.72
      MP1:
      $5.20
      MP2:
      $5.59

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, 3.
      UTG calls $0.02, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 folds, Hero calls $0.02, BU folds, SB calls $0.01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.1) A, Q, 4 (5 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.10, SB raises to $0.30, BB folds, UTG folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls $0.20.

Turn: ($0.7) K (2 players)
      SB bets $0.35, Hero calls $0.35.

River: ($1.4) 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.27(All-In), Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.4.

I think another situation where I overevaluated the strength of my top pair. Preflop I thought limping in would be profitable with the amount of people in the hand itself, allowing me to make some money postflop if I hit top pair or a draw. I didnt have many hands on SB but I had noticed him playing hands like second pair aggressively, so im not actually sure if the flop call was a mistake or not? Obviously calling the turn was a mistake, since I didnt really think he would c/r flop then bet turn without some kind of strong made hand.
  • 5 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      In limped pots you need to adjust your expectations for what is and isn't a big hand. TPBK is worth a stab - bet and see if anyone resists - but if you get resistance, especially raising resistance, you'll want a huge read on the villain to continue.

In general over-limping Axs I don't mind doing on weak loose tables where there are alot of limped pots, but as always in a large multiway limped pot you want to be catching flushes or straights with such a hand. Even two pairing (say it was As 7h 3d) you need to be careful and consider either playing call-down or folding - you have two outs against 33 and 4 against 77.

I would fold on the flop nearly always. The only time I am continuing is against a real maniac who has been raise-shoving every single hand and showing down garbage.

Our go-broke range for this hand postflop in a limped pot is something like -

Two diamonds + TP
      Two diamonds + a gutshot straight draw
      Flopped flushes and straights
      exposed trips with potential kicker advantage (x33 boards, NOT xAA boards)

Otherwise if you flop something like TP or a flush draw with no other help (EG flop 7d8d2c) you can play bet-fold.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      If you bet potsize on the flop and still get c/r, then your tp hand is not good, sop it should be easy fold.
      If you call flop and turn, then you have to call river, since you have to put him on bluff to call both flop and turn
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello esuohdla,

Preflop: It's fine to Call here for the implied odds. But! There is a big but. If you are going to overplay your TP like this then rather should just fold the hand. It's a huge leak for a lot of beginners to overplay their TP in those cases. While they are often behind even postflop. Therefore even isolating would be better.

As played
      Postflop: There is no other way to play the hand than just Bet/Fold it. We don't beat much on flop anymore if we get raised. Try to avoid making such hero-calls as you did. What do you expect to win on flop if you called?

Best regards.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Thanks for the comments everyone, I understand I should probably bet/fold flop in any case like that then :)
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by esuohdla
      Thanks for the comments everyone, I understand I should probably bet/fold flop in any case like that then :)
      mostly yes, since it is hard him to c/r you with worse hands