JimC6

• JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Hi I am Jim, I am 23 from England. I was a bit of a late comer in poker and have been playing for just over 1 year. I have went through quite a few phases playing NL50 with a bankroll of only $150 when I had no clue what I was doing then switched to playing deep stack mtt's I had a brief spell playing PLO then went back to tournaments. Despite the chaos I have managed to make some profit with a few tournament wins and decided that I should actually try and do it properly so now I am starting over playing the micro stakes and freerolls whenever I can. I had the $50 starting capital on Paddypower and have managed to spin it up to $140 (as of today) on the $0.4/$0.2 table and I had a $24 win in a freeroll.

Is it too late to join in this course?
  • 17 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hi Jim,

Welcome to the NL Beginners Course!

It is never too late to join up as the course runs all the time.

I'm sure with plenty of effort on your part you can make a success of it and enhance your game ten-fold!

I wish you every success and I hope you enjoy the course,

All the best,

Gary
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Thanks Gary

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I have two motivations for playing poker. The first one is probably the same as everyone else in that I want to win money. I don't have any ambitions or desire to ever be a high stakes poker pro (although if I ever made it to that level I would love it) but I do want to win enough regularly enough to be able to withdraw profit and use it to buy things that I could not really afford from just my day job.

My second motivation is to try and qualify for a big buy in live tournament like a WSOP event or WPT etc. I have had this motivation for the last 6-7months and in that time I have come close a couple of times but never quite won the big ticket.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I have thought about it over night and think my biggest weakness is that I am quite lazy and don't put enough effort in when it comes to learning about the game or reviewing my own play to look for things I am doing right/wrong. I have improved on this a little bit and made attempts to read a few of the strategy articles and watch some of the videos however I always find myself opening up a table or two then concentrating more on playing.

Another weakness I have found that I have is that I get too involved at times and play hands which I shouldn't. When play to my best I usually end the session with a profit and don't find myself in big pots without a great hand. However there are times when for whatever reason I snap out of the zone and start calling big raises with junk hands, and even in these cases when I do hit a lucky hand and make a profit it is really not as much profit as I should have because of all the other pots which I have been throwing money away.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

This means that a player is tight pre flop and has a very specific hand range and rarely plays a hand from early position. But then post flop they play very aggressively and make sure they put in decent bet sizes.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello JimC6,

Lets hope you will find the answer for the right question as well which is actually the most important of the homework. But if you post it then say something in your thread as well so I see that you updated your homework. :)

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Thanks veriz. I have thought about it over night and identified what I feel are my weaknesses.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello JimC6,

True that laziness is pretty standard for a lot of poker players and it's not only you. But as everyone, you have to find a way to adjust to that. Have to force yourself to learn more. Since don't you want to become better and be on higher limits? As everyone does. Without learning you wont achieve that. It's already good that you joined with the course which will at least force you to do some of the work. :) And might even motivate you to learn even more. If you can't really watch like the whole video or read the whole article then try dividing it, might work.

Most of the other weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands. We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

Best of luck in the Course! First points earned.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello JimC6,

True that laziness is pretty standard for a lot of poker players and it's not only you. But as everyone, you have to find a way to adjust to that. Have to force yourself to learn more. Since don't you want to become better and be on higher limits? As everyone does. Without learning you wont achieve that. It's already good that you joined with the course which will at least force you to do some of the work. :) And might even motivate you to learn even more. If you can't really watch like the whole video or read the whole article then try dividing it, might work.

Most of the other weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands. We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

Best of luck in the Course! First points earned.
      That is the main reason I wanted to take part in the course, I think having the lessons organised and having to do home work will give me more of a push to learn properly rather than reading random articles while I am trying to play at the same time. Also the feedback will be invaluable to me. Thank you for your response.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      That has been tested out already and has been working. :) If you are motivated to learn then you will be learning pretty fast and much faster as you would do it alone. Also of course getting all the feedback and stuff.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?

What you could do is widen or limit the range of hands you are raising/calling with depending on different information that you have available to you. For example if you have played a player before and know him to be very tight then you should widen your range for hands to raise with against him. Or if you are playing short handed then you should again widen your range. Why? Because the Starting Hand Chart is a general guide and does not take into account other variables that can give you crucial information to make better decisions.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play.

I only play the micro limits and have been trying to be more disciplined (sticking to the starting hand chart) so I don't really have any questionable pre-flop hands. My weakness where I seem to be making more of the bad decisions is post flop.

I do have a question about the "call 20" rule. I had not heard of this before I did this lesson and usually just called with any PP and went with my gut feelings if the raises were bigger than usual.

Well my question is a general one, does the call 20 rule apply to multi way pots against short stacks? Say a player has 3-bet my opening raise and their stack is shorter so does not meet the call 20 requirements. But before it gets round to me a different player with a similar short stack has called the raise. So now there is 2 stacks that could combine to be 20x the raise. Do I make the call with the small PP then or fold?

I have been playing a lot on the micro limits to try and find an example to post but after about 1400 hands I have not been able to.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?

the equity of AKo V that range is 46.3% if I have done it right. It is about where I thought off the top of my head I guessed about 48%.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Your thoughts are correct about adjusting the opponents. But well if you are still new to poker then I'd advice at least learn the preflop/postflop play and then widen up your range. Whenever you are more experienced. It's just the case if you starting playing too loose then you gonna do a lot of mistakes and will have difficult spots postflop.

I am pretty sure you have questions about preflop play. Even on higher limits you will have a lot of questions according preflop play. ;) It's not that easy as you may imagine it.

Well my question is a general one, does the call 20 rule apply to multi way pots against short stacks? Say a player has 3-bet my opening raise and their stack is shorter so does not meet the call 20 requirements. But before it gets round to me a different player with a similar short stack has called the raise. So now there is 2 stacks that could combine to be 20x the raise. Do I make the call with the small PP then or fold?

For 3bet pots we could even use Call15 rule. :)

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Thanks Veriz. I know preflop play takes a lifetime to master the thing is on the micro stakes it is difficult to ever find the situations that require too much thought because the stakes are so small and the players are not a very high level.

I am enjoying the course and have found sticking to the starting hand chart improves my indiscipline that I mentioned was a weakness of mine. I played around 200 hands without feeling the need to get crazy with 58o utg.

I will get cracking on lesson 3 tomorrow.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, if you can't beat the micros then you wont be able to beat the higher stakes either. :( Take everything step by step, don't rush. Rushing will just lead you into trouble.

Good luck with the lesson & the coaching we had today which was of course recorded. :)
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on the following flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task)

Preflop you have 50.8% equity and it drops way down to 26.5% after the flop.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" is not sufficient)
      No-Limit hold'em $2 (9 handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ.
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

I think you have to make the call here. If he does not have a set then you have 9 outs and are getting the correct pot odds to hit your flush. Also you have some implied odds too if you do hit he should pay off a value bet and in the situations that he has a K high club flush draw you will get all of the money in as you both started with the same $2 stacks.

To give you a little extra incentive a 4 might make you have the strongest hand with a straight too

Question 3: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your post-flop play

I have been playing a lot on willhill to clear my bonus. I remember a hand a few days ago I think I made a bad laydown. Just have to search through my history to try and find it.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      I can't actually find the hand I was after I have played thousands lately and it is like a needle in a haystack.

I do have one from last night that I have a few questions about but can't work out how to post hands from Willhill hand history it is laid out pretty odd.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Here is the hand that I have some questions about my post flop play, I am a little confused with the WillHill hand history layout and don't know where to begin with it.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/813/pshand.jpg/
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

Well, Willhill is iPoker so it shouldn't be that hard to post hands with it. Try this out:
      How to post a hand for discussion
      This will definitely help you out. Try it out and if it works then post the hand into HE forums. :) Or try even post here and lets see how you doing.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Thanks Veriz. Here is the hand.

Position: Stack UTG1: 9000.5UTG2: 10900.01UTG3: 5933Hero: 6207.5MP2: 2330MP3: 2660CO: 4692.5BU: 9161.75SB: 5209.25BB: 3535

SnG-MTT ? 0 (10 Players)
      100/200 No-Limit Hold'em, Ante 25 (10 Players)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102.40520.2 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T ♠, T ♦
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls, UTG3 folds,
      Hero raises 600 to 800, 3 fold, BU calls, 2 fold, UTG2 calls

Flop: (2950) Q ♣, T ♥, 4 ♣ (3 Players)
      UTG2 checks,
      Hero bets 400, BU calls, UTG2 folds

Turn: (3750) 8 ♥ (2 Players)
      Hero bets 1200, BU calls

River: (6150) 8 ♣ (2 Players)
      Hero bets 3782.5 ( (AI)), BU folds

Final Pot: 9907.5

My thoughts through the hand were, pre flop UTG2 limped which had done quite a lot of so I put in a raise to 800 and was hoping one of the short stacks might go all in with a A high.

On the flop I hit the set and as the 2 others only called I didn't worry about QQ. The limper checked, I didn't want to check too and risk it going to the turn with nothing happening so I just bet out 2xBB hoping it might make one of them raise me with a draw or top pair and get the money all in.

On the turn Heads up, after just calling I was thinking he might have QK, QJ, AT or something and didn't think the 8 would help him. It did put 2 flush draws on the board and I was thinking about going all in now, however I decided to live a little and I bet just under 1/3 of the pot still hoping he might make a raise on a draw and get it all in.

The river gives me a full house and I am 100% sure now I have the best hand, I don't want to check and give him the chance to check and I think if I bet another smallish bet it would leave me with only a few left anyway and look suspicious to him so I went all in.

Initially I thought I played it well and got rather unfortunate that they had not hit enough of a hand to pay me off, or was actually scared of the flush draw. But afterwards I quizzed in the chatbox to see what he had and he told me that he turned a straight and put me on QQ. Which would mean that I actually hit a very lucky river card. I didn't think that a straight was a possibility and had discounted J9 because he seemed quite a tight aggressive player and pre flop he came into the pot with both the blinds one with a short stack and UTG2 still to act after him.

Also I was thinking if he did have a straight on the turn and thought I had QQ why would he not raise and get the money in?

So my questions are;

Is there anything more I could do to get the max value out of the hand on the flop?

Did I make the right move on the river going all-in rather than checking?

Was my thoughts about their hand ranges logical or should I/would you think about an opponent having the straight?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Is there anything more I could do to get the max value out of the hand on the flop?

Well, I don't understand why do you bet that smallish on flop & turn? :) Rather still bet i ta bit bigger! We don't have the pure nuts there. We need to protect from FD/SD. ~1,600 at least. And then with your stack we could easily even ship the turn. :)

Did I make the right move on the river going all-in rather than checking?

With FH, why not? :) Standard move.

Was my thoughts about their hand ranges logical or should I/would you think about an opponent having the straight?

Would he could also have a lot of draws like FD and also Qx hands. But just bet bigger on flop and would be even able to ship the turn yourself. :)