[NL2-NL10] NL2 more passive play

• Pilks7
      Known players:

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.98 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:club: , 4:diamond:
      UTG2 calls $0.04, 5 folds, Hero calls $0.02, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.12) Q:diamond: , 8:heart: , 6:spade: (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, UTG2 checks.

Turn: ($0.12) K:heart: (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, UTG2 checks.

River: ($0.12) 4:heart: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.06, BB raises to $0.24, UTG2 folds, Hero calls $0.18.

Final Pot: $0.60

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Qc 4d)
      BB shows a flush, ace high (Ah 5h)

BB wins with a flush, ace high (Ah 5h)

Should I have just led out betting here and taken it down? I think I expected a raise - yet again I need to learn what the stats mean, as 13VPIP and 3.5AF is very tight aggressive, right?!
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      Hello Pilks7,

Preflop: Easy fold preflop. :)
      Flop: Bet yourself! We still have to protect our hand from any kind of draws and maybe even overcards.

As played
      Turn: What's your plan here? Do you Check/Call or Check/Fold?

As played
      River: What do you expect to beat here vs a raise? It's anyways a freeplay pot we wont even see TP here but rather at least 2pairs and most likely even stronger hand. I'd just Bet/Fold it. :) Not worth fighting over a freeplay pot and make those hero-calls.

Best regards.
    • Pilks7
      Good advice on the check-fold, i just played a bit too quick (did not take full time to analyse texture on river, therfore missed the 3 flush.

On the flop I think I was check-folding for sure.

As for the preflop bet, I have only recently moved down to 2NL, and noticed that:
      a) nobody protects much on the blinds, so many blinds can be stolen with any two rags
      and b) this looser image gets me action with decent hands at this level (obviously I'm not loose but to some all they see is raises more often than maybe should be, and presume "very loose")