[NL2-NL10] NL2 condonable passive play....?

• Pilks7
      Pilks7
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $9.39
      MP3:
      $5.3

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.98 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 3:diamond: , 3:club:
      MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.04, MP3 raises to $0.20, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.46) 8:heart: , 6:spade: , 5:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.31, Hero calls $0.31.

Turn: ($1.08) 7:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks.

River: ($1.08) 5:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.04, Hero calls $0.04.

Final Pot: $1.16

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two-pair, fives and threes (3d 3c)
      MP3 shows (Qd Jh)

Hero wins with two-pair, fives and threes (3d 3c)

Was there any value in betting the river here? I know click bets on the river are usually a just beg to see your hand, but the board was a little scary and I thought maybe he could come over the top, although his check on the turn signaled two overcards, and the river didnt get any straight draws there
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Pilks7,

Only idea to bet the river is to block-bet it to avoid him maybe turning his A high into bluff and we will have hard time Calling it. But of course most likely we have him beat. Why? Since if he even had 9x or any other pair type of hand then he would most likely bet himself on turn.

But overall I wouldn't really go for even a Call on flop since we don't know what we gonna do on turn/river also on such a drawy board we will see just so many cards on which we can't continue. Even Check/Raising the flop is better. :)

Best regards.
    • Pilks7
      Pilks7
      Bronze
      Yes I saw this check on the turn as almost certain that he has nothing but overs to the board. I like the check-raise idea though, something I used to do with low board C-bets when I have a pair, however now that I have blown almost all my bankroll and begun again to grind back up from 2NL and only 1 or 2 BI, I am obviously playing alot more small ball/passive style (though you might disagree as u advise folds on all these flops discussed in the last 3 posts with me!) However, this is all good advice, and duly noted, thanks Veriz

Also, would you not be more inclined to check and then call a river bet? If he wants to bluff A high, I surely have enough information here to call, and a bet by me might lead to a bluff-raise by him? (hypothetically speaking of course, as this player was quite tight as i recall).
      If I bet out, it is the same as me check-calling, except that my check may induce a bluff, and my bet may induce a raise (Tho I predict you may condone a check fold here anyway..? ;) )
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      The problem would be if he bets very high. Are you still gonna do the hero-call? :D
    • Pilks7
      Pilks7
      Bronze
      Food for thought, thanks.

One more thing: I have started the NL beginners school, as I am doing everything at the moment to study poker as fully as possible in order to stop my leaks and improve my game. Should I be posting my hands now into a different place within the school forum, or should I just keep posting them here?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Pilks7
      Food for thought, thanks.

One more thing: I have started the NL beginners school, as I am doing everything at the moment to study poker as fully as possible in order to stop my leaks and improve my game. Should I be posting my hands now into a different place within the school forum, or should I just keep posting them here?
      With the new course the place will be here. So keep posting here, hopefully it's fine for you. :)