Strongsl

• Strongsl
      Strongsl
      Bronze
      Hi! I play poker for 4years. I once played some high limits as a regular, but had to drop poker off. Now I want to play again. But I know I am not that good anymore. So, this is the reason why I want to join the School =)

QUESTION 1
      Motivation: There are few feelings that can be equal as dominate your opponent in the poker table. And what you get rewarded for that? Money :D Sometimes, a lot of money :f_biggrin: This is what I want. Alot of money.

My poker project is to reach NL5k and buy a Camaro SS.

QUESTION 2
      Weaknesses: I used to tilt hard sometimes. Thank God, tilting was not a comon situation. I guess I am much more in control now.
      I am also too much agressive. But I am not a maniac =)

Question 3
      TAG? I understand this kind of player as sniper. He plays few and strong spots(hands). He is agressive, therefore he puts the opponent into pressure. And under pressure the opponent makes mistakes. And that's when we make profit.

Well I hope I am not rusty and late =)

Let's make this right!
  • 43 replies
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      he Strongsl,

so you are not a real newbie at all?
      Enjoy our school and even as an experienced player you might get more then one good advice here.
      But how about also helping our real newbies with their questions? I could imagine that you would be a support for our coach veriz and all the moderators here,too :-)

For the answers of your questions - there is no real right or wrong imho.
      For Q1 always think that Poker is about making the right decissions. On the long run it will be money,too - but don't let yourself be fooled by a bad beat that you gave to your oponent.

Q2: For the aggressivness it helps to have a look at our articles for the beginning. They are linked in the pokerschool overview. No matter if you are to aggro pre- or postflop, you'll find the right stuff there.

Q3: nice analogy :-)
    • Strongsl
      Strongsl
      Bronze
      ty for reply, Svenbe!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Strongsl,

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

I would say that being aggressive definitely ain't a huge problem. It's better than being way too nitty or passive. But being over-aggressive might make you pay a lot of money which ain't that great. You have to find a way between that. I can tell from my own experience that I like also very aggressive play and years back it made me pay a lot of money. :D And as our mind can adjust to everything, we have to adjust to the aggressiveness. But isn't it good in live poker for example if you dominate the table and everyone is taking you as a maniac? :D That's why I love LAG, usually people will not know what kind of range you have and they will have hard time putting you on a perfect range. If you play the style good you can play it very profitable. The money doesn't only come from playing good hands but as well playing even weak hands on decent spots and with right decisions, putting opponents on correct range and having correct reads. For example blind-battle.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • Strongsl
      Strongsl
      Bronze
      Oh! I forgot to say: I will be as much available to help other members as I can =)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Strongsl
      Oh! I forgot to say: I will be as much available to help other members as I can =)
      That's really good news. :) It also helps yourself to become better and of course you will definitely even find good friends with who you could even hold sweat sessions for example. Sweat sessions are really great to have and they definitely help you out. Always good if someone watches your play and comments it, even if not a very good player. At least asks questions from you for example and you are concentrating why you doing it and how to answer it.
    • Strongsl
      Strongsl
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?

As the BSS description said: this is just a chart oriented to play +EV is most of the cases, but. not always :f_cool: There are other concepts like isolation, domination, blind stealing, 3/4betting light that we must apply that will result in playing differently from the BSS Chart.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play.
      Nl50 Sh Tptk Protection?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?
    • Strongsl
      Strongsl
      Bronze
      Q3:46,97%
    • Strongsl
      Strongsl
      Bronze
      ok. this is the way poker is.

the harder we go for it, the worst we get. I lost 7BI today and I am 8bi below EV. what a nice comebak!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

AUCH! 7BIs is a lot. :( Hopefully you have a stop-loss not only for a session but also for a day.

With the chart we anyways just making a small guide for ourselves for just to begin with. In future play we wont be even using it. :) You should be definitely familiar with it already.

How do you like Kaitz evaluations. Should I overview them as well?

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • Strongsl
      Strongsl
      Bronze
      I like his evaluation! but all help is welcome =)

lets see how things work out this week. I am playing Nl25 now. Lets see if this change of scenario brings me better results =)

Homework #3
      Q1:
      preflop: pt.pokerstrategy.com
      Equity Vencer Empatar
      MP2 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

pos-flop

pt.pokerstrategy.com
      Board: 3hJs5s
      Equity Vencer Empatar
      MP2 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

Q2:

I guess I would call. In worst scenario we have:
      pt.pokerstrategy.com
      Board: 6d3d2c5c
      Equity Vencer Empatar
      MP2 20.29% 17.53% 2.76% { AcJc }
      MP3 79.71% 76.95% 2.76% { 66-22, A4s }

pt.pokerstrategy.com
      Board: 6d3d2c5c
      Equity Vencer Empatar
      MP2 21.59% 19.70% 1.89% { AcJc }
      MP3 78.41% 76.52% 1.89% { 44, A4s }

We have the 24% equity. so it is a call.

Q3: i will do later on the week.!

cya!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

Bump it if your last question is done as well, so I will at least recognize that you updated your homework.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • Strongsl
      Strongsl
      Bronze
      things are not good =(

6 bi down on NL25 and AI EV -2bi.

damn =( i guess i need God´s Help and not a poker school =(
    • Strongsl
      Strongsl
      Bronze
      dear lord.

second session of the day and i am 5bi down on Nl25

=(

I am $500 uder ev for nl25/50

=(
    • Strongsl
      Strongsl
      Bronze
      veriz, I guess i need extra help. othwerwise i will dead =(

I just cant win. almost 1k down =(

if u can give that extra help, let me know =(
    • Strongsl
      Strongsl
      Bronze
      question 3 : NL50 SH - TPTK VS DIFICULT BET on river

btw. i won something like 3 bi last session =) i jjust hpe things get better now =)
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Strongsl
      veriz, I guess i need extra help. othwerwise i will dead =(

I just cant win. almost 1k down =(

if u can give that extra help, let me know =(
      I know I'm only a lowly silver, but....

This might help... but stop looking at your money, and calculating what you've lost. At this stage in our careers, it's about learning and making the right calls.... not necessarily making the most money. You're too money focused right now and I believe it's affecting your game.

Our priority is making the right calls in the right situations... the money will accumulate as a byproduct of this!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Auch! I am really sorry that I wasn't here for that time. I remember myself having such bad runs. For example the previous horrible run @ Pokerstars playing SH100 -

Hopefully you understand the EV point here. :)

But those kind of sessions are just the worst. We just keep loosing and loosing and loosing. At the same time we are loosing faith in ourselves and we can't understand what we are doing wrong. We only forcing ourselves that oh damn we can't play anymore and by that you are just making your mindset even worse. You starting tilting a lot more. You start acting not like you would play your A-game. Which makes you loose even more money.

When we face those kind of swings there are of course several things what we could do. For everyone it works differently. You might have to find a way how to fix those things yourself. But the easiest way is to try to find a way how to ignore such spots. Since NOBODY, I repeat NOBODY will ever run in poker without those kind of horrible sessions. What separates good players from bad players is that good players can adjust to such sessions and they are making a lot less to loose and by what they are making the winnings. But rather bad players start just loosing during the bad running session.

Might try taking few days off, maybe watch some videos, analyze your game. Do whatever suits for you. And come back with cleared mindset. That's what I have been doing, obviously I have my own ways to fix that as well. Like for example I go to gym and it really helps to clean your mindset and after that you are usually in a very good mood and up for a poker session again. :)

Hopefully it helped, feel free to continue with the discussion.
    • Strongsl
      Strongsl
      Bronze

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I guess nothing is working out. Besides all the bad beats, I have a lot of KK vs AA . sets under sets K flush darws vs a flush draws.

dear lord. I am playing Nl25/30 and 50. and I am 900 under ev. I cant even count how many Buy-ins I am losing =(

dear lord, the worst run i iever seen =(
    • Strongsl
      Strongsl
      Bronze
      week 4

Q1 nl25 - 3bet pot vs floater reg

Q2 NL20sh QQ

Q3 pt.pokerstrategy.com
      Board: 8hJs9c
      Equity Vencer Empatar
      MP2 44.14% 44.14% 0.00% { KcQc }
      MP3 55.86% 55.86% 0.00% { 7h7c }