Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $9.9
      Hero:
      $16.9

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9:heart: , 9:spade:
      MP1 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 3 folds, SB raises to $1.20, BB folds, Hero calls $0.80.

Flop: ($2.50) 5:heart: , 3:spade: , 2:spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $1.8, Hero calls $1.80.

Turn: ($6.10) 7:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($6.10) 2:club: (2 players)
      SB bets $3, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $6.10

Another hand I am not a big fan of. Loose call IP preflop with intent to continue on any low board, for some reason I got scared of the turn and decided to give up there and then. Then again floating such a huge pot is very high variance, and any Ax ace-spades hand is going to find a call.

I think having paid the flop we really needed to fire the bullet, but I got gun shy here. Thoughts?
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Jaissica,

Preflop: Once again what's the reason for Calling the 3bet? You still opening from MP and his 3bet range can easily be up to strong range only. Our odds ain't that great either.

As played
      Postflop: True. But now again why do you Call preflop? :) You had to put him on very wide 3bet range to make the Call. Therefore I wouldn't play any differently. Although I guess I'd still bet the turn for free showdown and maybe even protection from overcards+1card FD.

Best regards.
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello Jaissica,

Preflop: Once again what's the reason for Calling the 3bet?
      I think I am being overly conscious of my fold-to-3bet, especially against villains who are often 3betting light (this hand I remember and the villain was something like 6 3bet).

I definitely do not want to 2bet a 5-20 range depending on position then only continue with AK, QQ+ when faced with pressure from an 18/18, 19.0 AF, 6+ 3bet villain, else I am just inviting him to 3bet me with AJ+, Axs, 22+, decent suited connectors, basically anything with half decent post flop playability if I call...

So my solution was playing 9s IP. I just lost my nerve on it. I think a turn bet here takes down the pot, and I may have folded to AsXo.

Edit: checked Elephant for stats.

3bet: 9%

99 is actually in front of some of his range there.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      6-9% of 3bet ain't that much. Although I do agree that at some spots I would even consider playing back against him. Depends really on the table dynamics. It's really hard to join on the table you sit and watching just the 3bets and stuff.
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      i think this is spot, where you bet the turn for value. I doubt than he is leveling and planning a check raise if you havent shown alot of strenght. Or if you want cheap showdown, you must call the river, cause if he had better overpair I still think he bets the turn to protect. You can also bet the turn to check the river behind if he dosnt craise you....
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Ive basically been missing in action for 2 years... can you help me out with a terminology question? What is "leveling" referring to, specifically?

I've seen the term a couple of times now, but hadn't encountered it previously...

I agree, the turn is our bet, and even if we decide to check it we have to call the river having called preflop / flop action.
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      leveling...its playing with mind...fking with someones head:D

for example villain always bets when he has the nuts on the river....
      this time he didnt bet, because he was thinking (leveling) that you know that he is betting nuts and he didnt bet and now he hopes you bet and he raises...

but you on the other hand think (level) that he is capable of thinking that and he is still checking air and raising air just to mix it up and to level you in...

my head is spinning now...
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Haha, fair enough! I had someone check-raise me OOP on the river with a baby flush today, made me actually laugh out loud IRL. Maybe he thought he was levelling :)