Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $11.27
      BU:
      $9.85

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J:spade: , T:spade:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 2 folds, BU calls $0.40, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.95) K:spade: , 9:club: , 4:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.72, BU calls $0.72.

Turn: ($2.39) Q:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.82, BU raises to $3.84, Hero raises to $10.15 (All-In), BU calls $4.89 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

River: ($19.85) 3:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $19.85

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a straight, king high (Js Ts)
      BU shows (Ah As)

Hero wins with a straight, king high (Js Ts)

I am not posting this hand so much to get comments on my play (its completely standard) as to throw up a hand that shows anyone who reads this post why you all but never "trap" with just an overpair (maniacs excepted).

This villain would have won 55 cents with with a standard 3bet. I would have folded my loose raise and that would have been all she wrote. Instead he lost $9.85, a $10.40 turnaround for being greedy.

If anyone is curious about the JTs raise, I was on a gear shift. Hero image at the table is about 10/8 - very tight tag approaching rock - it was time to take some profit from that with some loose raises / 3bets with good drawing hands.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Jaissica,

I totally like your play. :) There is no other way to play the hand either. If he wants really to go broke on turn then just give him that. No point to Call the turn and then ship the river. If he wants to go broke then he is anyways going broke right on turn.

Obviously, those slowplays are often the cases. I usually ask if people are calling with AA preflop: "Are you set-mining?" :D

Best regards.