Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $20.92
      UTG2:
      $13.81

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:heart: , A:spade:
      UTG2 raises to $0.50, 6 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, UTG2 calls $1.00.

Flop: ($3.05) T:diamond: , 9:club: , 2:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.32, UTG2 calls $2.32.

Turn: ($7.69) A:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.66, UTG2 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $7.69

I am not a fan of ever slow playing a hand. I find that nearly always when you slow play you risk either letting yourself go broke on free cards or were never going to get any value anyway (the villain simply doesn't hold a hand that can win a showdown).

However this hand has me wondering if a check might have been in order to extract value. The flop call often reads as an over pair of some kind, probably JJ-QQ, sometimes AdKd or even AdQd could also be here with us. However you would expect Ax diamond hands to bet-shove the flop to your check, while JJ-KK are folding to your bet but might find a small call on the river (or better yet, hit a set and go broke).

I feel like that turn, rather than helping me, cost me at least one more big street - and that this was probably "the time" to slow down.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Jaissica,

Against that kind of wide VPIP/PFR I wouldn't Check either the turn. He definitely even has there draws in his calling range while he seems to be pretty station-like. Nice hand! Plus of course he is rather passive player from we expect rather not to see bluffs.

Best regards.