This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

AF and Agg Freq for SNG

• VBZg
      VBZg
      Bronze
      Hi

Looking for explanation how to use Aggression Factor and Aggression Freq in the SNG STT, and found some threads on other forums. What I think here that we need to adjust some of this in the early stages of STT, because of ICM, I dont see so high Aggression Freq. So looking for some opinions and this is the base for constracting the view of villain.

[COLOR=blue][I]AF and Agg Freq are more useful in tandem then either one alone. While each stat measures how aggressive someone plays post-flop, they do not measure the same thing. If I could have only one stat, I'd take Aggession Frequency - but I would much rather have both.[/COLOR]

AF = (raise % + bet %)/call %. It ranges from 0 to infinity.

Agg Freq = (raise % + bet %)/(raise % + bet % + call% + fold%). It ranges from 0 to 1.

A player with high AF + high Agg Freq is aggressive (perhaps over aggressive.)

A player with a high AF + low Agg Freq is playing 'bet or fold' poker.

A player with a very low AF + low Agg Freq is a calling station.

A player with a low AF and low Agg Freq is a passive nit.

The point is, each stat is like a different instrument in a band. They are generally better together than playing solo.

DrStrange[/I]

and

-------------------- AggrFreq% ---- AggrFact
      hyper aggressive.... > 70
      over aggressive....... 60 - 70 ........ > 3
      aggressive.............. 45 - 60 ........ 1.3 - 3
      passive.................. 35 - 45 ........ < 1.3
      calling station......... < 35

A low PFR, like 4%, will naturally have more aggression than a high PFR, like 40% (i.e., what is aggressive for a 40% PFR might be "normal" for a 4% PFR). So adjust your aggression evaluation based on how wide / narrow the preflop range is of the player.

Street-by-street aggression applies to the current street forward, so that when a player with like 30% turn AggrFreq wakes up and starts betting on the turn, if he bets the river as well he is still be operating within that frequency of only 30%, even if his river AggrFreq is very high, like 65%.

Large sample sizes are needed for these stats; and reading the board plus taking notes on players is often more valuable than the stats.
  • 1 reply
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      In cash games, you play a lot more hands with the same players. In tournaments, players keep getting knocked out so you have fewer hands on players except for a few regs, and you tend to have fewer hands on those than some cash game regs have on each other. I think you want to use statistics which converge rapidly to stereotype the players. I use the aggression factor, and I don't use bluff-catchers to pay off aggression from players with low aggression factors. A player with an aggression factor of 0.5 or lower rarely raises postflop with weaker than TPGK.