[NL2-NL10] NL25: 77 against calling station. Advices to play the hand different?

• Gremlin68
      Gremlin68
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)        
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $32.53
      Hero:
      $7.46

0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with 7:heart: , 7:diamond:

Stealraise from button.

7 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, SB calls $0.65, BB folds.

Flop: ($1.75) 4:club: , 3:spade: , 9:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1, SB calls $1.00.

contibet against this check

Turn: ($3.75) 5:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.50, SB calls $2.50.

Seeing him playing alot hands but without stats I think I am not in too bad shape with my pocket pair, so I decided to bet again, a 9 would have raised I think, but I'm concerned about his strange game, always checking into me and calling my raise.

River: ($8.75) 9:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3.21 (All-In), SB calls $3.21.

against this check push is o.k.? He could have slowplayed me over all streets, but now I think I have to push against this check. Your ways to play such a hand?

Final Pot: $15.17
  • 4 replies
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      well, logically, if you think that you are ahead, then you have to bet a potsize or even more on flop and push turn.

however, I don`t see a lot of drawing hands possible here (to call the flop). some str8 draws or overcards maybe. only 3 2outers 22-55-66. So I might just check it down... it seems very marginal.

but in general, just make a bigger value bets against a cs.
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      First, if he is a calling station I want to see stats. If you can not deliver, I handle him as unknown and then I do not like the river bet here, since only better hands will call you. So check behind.
    • Gremlin68
      Gremlin68
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      well, logically, if you think that you are ahead, then you have to bet a potsize or even more on flop and push turn.

however, I don`t see a lot of drawing hands possible here (to call the flop). some str8 draws or overcards maybe. only 3 2outers 22-55-66. So I might just check it down... it seems very marginal.

but in general, just make a bigger value bets against a cs.

I agree, the bet on the flop was too small. I was concerned a bit about the nine while I was playing with a 29BB stack (preflop) and did not want to risk too much, starting the hand as a steal.

Will remember next time.

On the next streets I was not sure how to interpretate his check call play. slowplaying a monster like the set or just waiting for some outs with Ax. So betting seemed right to me keeping the initiative. But I agree, looking at this hand a long time, a little bit higher bets would make sense or to check down, but I was afraid that he would take a check as weakness and bet with nothing.

Checking behind the river as Berliner wrote absolutely right. Does not make sense to risk 15 BB at this spot already unsure what's the reason for the strange play of villain.
    • Gremlin68
      Gremlin68
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berliner1982
      First, if he is a calling station I want to see stats. If you can not deliver, I handle him as unknown and then I do not like the river bet here, since only better hands will call you. So check behind.
      Yep I agree absolutely :)

Did not have PA running so didn't have his stats. Checking it lateron he had (only 35 hands) VPIP 85 WtSD 65 Total AF 0,3. Checking a few known hands he did it with hands like K4 A2 or similar.

Just starting to work with these stats I don't have much experience in interpretating them, but this is a cs i think.

Finally he played AQo so he waited to hit his 6 outs, fine for me :)

But I agree with what Xylere said it was marginal and could have ended different.