[NL2-NL10] Handling Donk Bets

• philhellmutt
      philhellmutt
      Bronze
      Maybe I should start a general strategy question on this, but just wondering what your thoughts are here. I have a few of these hands recently where I've raised smallish donks and shown a profit.

Donk bets often troubled me in the past but now I can see these are often block bets (I think he had heart flush draw), or players who think you're raising AK and missed the flop. :D

And how would you handle a proper sized Donk (2/3 pot - PSB)? These are sometimes players with flopped sets trying to get the money in OOP. I rarely raise these unless I 3-bet pre.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.02(BB) Replayer
      SB ($3.16) - 15/3/AF=2.6 in 151 hands
      BB ($2.48)
      UTG ($2.03)
      UTG+1 ($2.08)
      UTG+2 ($0.40)
      MP1 ($2.32)
      Hero ($2.02)
      BTN ($2.01)

Dealt to Hero Q:spade: Q:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.06, fold, SB calls $0.05, fold

FLOP ($0.14) 8:heart: 2:heart: 4:diamond:

SB bets $0.07, Hero raises to $0.22, SB folds
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello philhellmutt,

Preflop: 4xBB raise would be standard for me. :D
      Postflop: Don't think that's it's totally off. But do you think he is going to pay you with a lot worse? Also what's your plan if you get 3bet? :)

Best regards.
    • Aerox232
      Aerox232
      Bronze
      I rather call flop and let him bluff at turn . :f_cool:
    • philhellmutt
      philhellmutt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello philhellmutt,

Preflop: 4xBB raise would be standard for me. :D
      Postflop: Don't think that's it's totally off. But do you think he is going to pay you with a lot worse? Also what's your plan if you get 3bet? :)

Best regards.
      Veriz: Yeah, I've been raising 3BB on BTN and CO (if tight BTN and blinds), but 4BB in other positions... ;)

And if he 3-bets, I'm flying away in my ejector-seat.... :D

Aerox and Veriz: Although I don't agree with betting for information, my concern with calling the donk is what happens when a heart hits the turn and he leads again with a stronger bet.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      I actually doubt many villians are folding flush draws here, the raise is small enough so that he gets pretty good odds to call, and with implied odds its an easy call.

Thats not to say its a bad idea here, its good value for us to get the extra chips into the pot. What you should be aware of however is that if a heart was to come out next & he bets fairly big that the flush is easily still in his range as he probably will not have folded to the raise.
    • philhellmutt
      philhellmutt
      Bronze
      I agree Phil. If he calls the flop raise and donks again on turn, it's an easy fold.

If he checks turn, I'd still bet 2/3 pot (whether heart hits or not) and hope for free showdown. If he raises turn it's an easy fold, or if he donks river after calling turn bet, again an easy fold.

I never stack off with OVP or TP unless it's a 3-bet pot or villain is a maniac or stacks off light.