This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL50 AA - setting traps with rockets

• Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP2:
      $82.55
      Hero:
      $51.7
      BU:
      $56.3

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:spade: , A:club:
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, CO folds, BU raises to $4.50, 3 folds, Hero raises to $13.00, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $10.75

I don't like making this play but I believe sometimes it can be profitable. The open-raiser likes to raise with any two suited cards and was getting alot of cold-callers in some hands. A couple of guys on the table behind me had started making semi-regular squeeze attacks on these pots and picking up some dead money.

So I set a double trap. I was trapping the lagger - who would hopefully hit a top pair and lose a bunch of money, risky play of course as he could easily hit 2p or a draw and bust me too - and I was trapping the couple of guys later on the table who had made apparent repeated squeezes.

In all honesty I think I could have continued my trap beyond the squeezer's raise. I know we don't like to give free flops as AA preflop, but I have a feeling I could have check-raised nearly every flop with confidence and taken an extra bet from any two. I chose instead to challenge the squeeze, which had the dual effect of taking down the pot and probably scaring the squeezer off squeezing for a little while.

Thoughts? I know trapping with aces is a questionable play, but I feel if ever there was a time to do it...
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      prefer to 3-bet against min-raise until you know that someone is really 3-bet happy
      Just wonder what are your other call/raise range that spot. If you´re mostly just calling squeeze, then you should also call with aces

I know trapping with aces is a questionable play, but I feel if ever there was a time to do it...
      - yeah, mixing it up can never be bad idea. Although mostly prefer getting aces a lot of money in pre-flop (especially since my image is usually terrible :D )
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Versus habitual squeezers in the blinds I like to do this with hands like TT-JJ, AQs, AK. Maybe I'll add AA to my range there.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Maniatrix
      Versus habitual squeezers in the blinds I like to do this with hands like TT-JJ, AQs, AK. Maybe I'll add AA to my range there.
      I think TT-JJ and AK is fine to call and then 4-bet, but AQ is imo too weak for that so I´d prefer rather 3-betting it myself pf