Stack
      MP2:
      $82.55
      Hero:
      $51.7
      BU:
      $56.3

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:spade: , A:club:
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, CO folds, BU raises to $4.50, 3 folds, Hero raises to $13.00, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $10.75

I don't like making this play but I believe sometimes it can be profitable. The open-raiser likes to raise with any two suited cards and was getting alot of cold-callers in some hands. A couple of guys on the table behind me had started making semi-regular squeeze attacks on these pots and picking up some dead money.

So I set a double trap. I was trapping the lagger - who would hopefully hit a top pair and lose a bunch of money, risky play of course as he could easily hit 2p or a draw and bust me too - and I was trapping the couple of guys later on the table who had made apparent repeated squeezes.

In all honesty I think I could have continued my trap beyond the squeezer's raise. I know we don't like to give free flops as AA preflop, but I have a feeling I could have check-raised nearly every flop with confidence and taken an extra bet from any two. I chose instead to challenge the squeeze, which had the dual effect of taking down the pot and probably scaring the squeezer off squeezing for a little while.

Thoughts? I know trapping with aces is a questionable play, but I feel if ever there was a time to do it...
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      prefer to 3-bet against min-raise until you know that someone is really 3-bet happy
      Just wonder what are your other call/raise range that spot. If you´re mostly just calling squeeze, then you should also call with aces

I know trapping with aces is a questionable play, but I feel if ever there was a time to do it...
      - yeah, mixing it up can never be bad idea. Although mostly prefer getting aces a lot of money in pre-flop (especially since my image is usually terrible :D )
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Versus habitual squeezers in the blinds I like to do this with hands like TT-JJ, AQs, AK. Maybe I'll add AA to my range there.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Maniatrix
      Versus habitual squeezers in the blinds I like to do this with hands like TT-JJ, AQs, AK. Maybe I'll add AA to my range there.
      I think TT-JJ and AK is fine to call and then 4-bet, but AQ is imo too weak for that so I´d prefer rather 3-betting it myself pf