This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL10SH A8s preflop+postflop play

• MadzunaR
      MadzunaR
      Bronze
      Hi,

To better understand this hand i have to say that BB isn't a great player (dont know why PT isnt displaying stats when i convert hands) but he played rather tight and i never saw him 3betting before (he didnt defend his blinds too), so i guess i had an easy decision to fold, but i had position and suited A.

Now i easily put him on a range JJ+ or even QQ+, and having in mind that i hold one A his chance of having AA/AK are much lower, so i called with an idea of stacking him if i hit the flop, knowing he wont fold such a good hand no matter what.

Flop was great for him, not that good for me (gutshot+nut bdfd), giving me 2.6:1 pot odds, but as i said earlier knowing he wont fold his hand i assumed my implied odds were thru the roof :) so i called and turn hitted me in best possible way. When he betted the turn (when straight draw just completed) i was completely sure he wouldn't fold his hand on the river, and river card just speaks for itself :)

So my question is, is my call 3bet preflop a good move, having in mind that i 4betted mostly strong hands before, so with this move i balanced my play a bit, tho not with a strong hand obviously (if anything of this makes sense at all) :)

PokerStars - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BB: $10.00
      UTG: $11.26
      Hero (CO): $17.51
      BTN: $3.61
      SB: $13.12

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has 8:club: A:club:

fold, Hero raises to $0.30, fold, fold, BB raises to $1.10, Hero calls $0.80

Flop: ($2.25, 2 players) 7:diamond: 5:diamond: 4:club:
      BB bets $1.41, Hero calls $1.41

Turn: ($5.07, 2 players) 6:club:
      BB bets $3.00, Hero calls $3.00

River: ($11.07, 2 players) J:club:
      BB bets $4.49 and is all-in, Hero calls $4.49
  • 4 replies
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      niiice...float and outplay attemt...very good:)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello MadzunaR,

Preflop: As you mentioned yourself already he is not 3betting at all. :( Which gives me a good reason just to fold the hand here. In long run we ain't gonna play it profitable.

As played
      Flop: What do you think his 3bet range is? Against what kind of hands is it reasonable to float? With just GS and hoping for a hit ain't the best way to play the hand. :) Also pretty dangerous. Gonna wait for the answer what you expect him to 3bet with and then might get the answer either to float or not. :P

As played
      Turn: Nothing much to add. No point to raise anyways. We just forcing all worse to fold and we have pretty much the nuts anyways.
      River: Nice catch. :)

Best regards.
    • MadzunaR
      MadzunaR
      Bronze
      Yeah, this play ain't profitable at all in the long run. At least after the showdown my image got looser so i might as well pick a big pot with a strong hand next time :)

Well, as i mentioned earlier in my post i was putting his 3bet range on JJ/QQ+, so floating and bluff raising the turn, if i dont hit, surely aint a smart thing to do, so this would be a second mistake made with this hand. Guess the only thing he might fold after my float/bluff raise would be AK/AQ/KQ and maybe some overpairs (99/10), but i allready ruled those hands out, so...
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      For that reason if you are putting him on JJ+ then you can't unfortunately float while with just your GS you ain't gonna do it profitable in long run.