[NL2-NL10] NL10SH A8s preflop+postflop play

• MadzunaR
      MadzunaR
      Bronze
      Hi,

To better understand this hand i have to say that BB isn't a great player (dont know why PT isnt displaying stats when i convert hands) but he played rather tight and i never saw him 3betting before (he didnt defend his blinds too), so i guess i had an easy decision to fold, but i had position and suited A.

Now i easily put him on a range JJ+ or even QQ+, and having in mind that i hold one A his chance of having AA/AK are much lower, so i called with an idea of stacking him if i hit the flop, knowing he wont fold such a good hand no matter what.

Flop was great for him, not that good for me (gutshot+nut bdfd), giving me 2.6:1 pot odds, but as i said earlier knowing he wont fold his hand i assumed my implied odds were thru the roof :) so i called and turn hitted me in best possible way. When he betted the turn (when straight draw just completed) i was completely sure he wouldn't fold his hand on the river, and river card just speaks for itself :)

So my question is, is my call 3bet preflop a good move, having in mind that i 4betted mostly strong hands before, so with this move i balanced my play a bit, tho not with a strong hand obviously (if anything of this makes sense at all) :)

PokerStars - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BB: $10.00
      UTG: $11.26
      Hero (CO): $17.51
      BTN: $3.61
      SB: $13.12

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has 8:club: A:club:

fold, Hero raises to $0.30, fold, fold, BB raises to $1.10, Hero calls $0.80

Flop: ($2.25, 2 players) 7:diamond: 5:diamond: 4:club:
      BB bets $1.41, Hero calls $1.41

Turn: ($5.07, 2 players) 6:club:
      BB bets $3.00, Hero calls $3.00

River: ($11.07, 2 players) J:club:
      BB bets $4.49 and is all-in, Hero calls $4.49
  • 4 replies
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      niiice...float and outplay attemt...very good:)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello MadzunaR,

Preflop: As you mentioned yourself already he is not 3betting at all. :( Which gives me a good reason just to fold the hand here. In long run we ain't gonna play it profitable.

As played
      Flop: What do you think his 3bet range is? Against what kind of hands is it reasonable to float? With just GS and hoping for a hit ain't the best way to play the hand. :) Also pretty dangerous. Gonna wait for the answer what you expect him to 3bet with and then might get the answer either to float or not. :P

As played
      Turn: Nothing much to add. No point to raise anyways. We just forcing all worse to fold and we have pretty much the nuts anyways.
      River: Nice catch. :)

Best regards.
    • MadzunaR
      MadzunaR
      Bronze
      Yeah, this play ain't profitable at all in the long run. At least after the showdown my image got looser so i might as well pick a big pot with a strong hand next time :)

Well, as i mentioned earlier in my post i was putting his 3bet range on JJ/QQ+, so floating and bluff raising the turn, if i dont hit, surely aint a smart thing to do, so this would be a second mistake made with this hand. Guess the only thing he might fold after my float/bluff raise would be AK/AQ/KQ and maybe some overpairs (99/10), but i allready ruled those hands out, so...
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      For that reason if you are putting him on JJ+ then you can't unfortunately float while with just your GS you ain't gonna do it profitable in long run.