Team Fortress 2

• Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      So anyone else play this game, you add me on steam if you do! :)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ribbo

I've made a quick guide to spying for anyone interested, I wanted to make a video to get me back in the mood for it. It's 10 minutes long and targetted towards beginners. Team Fortress 2 is free to play, so if you have never tried it, go download it via Steam.

SPY COUNTRY PARTS 1 & 2
      Please like it / sub on youtube if it appeals to you. :f_biggrin:

• 30 replies
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      usually play as a pyro but also do heavy or medic :)

added
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      awesome. anywhere I could read up on the rules and strategies for the game? it looks great so id be willing to give it a try.
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      This is a good place to start:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=906
    • Yoshimitsu77
      Yoshimitsu77
      Bronze
      can you play as megaman? :D
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I've added you

My steam is
      http://steamcommunity.com/id/Gervinho6

I can also answer questions about competitive play, item system. Tho TF2 free accounts cannot trade, buying something from the store ( I would suggest keys as they are the currency ) can open the trading system. Last but not least I can play & give u advice about weapon combo's

In terms of ''easy to learn'' characters I would play:
      * Heavy
      * Soldier
      * Demoman
      * Pyro
      * Sniper

The hardest characters are:
      * Engineer ( Trust me I see a lot of Engineers who are :facepalm: )
      * Spy
      * Scout
      * Medic

See you soon!

PS there is a WIki: wiki.teamfortress.com with information
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      /
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      add me oan steam : mart1n620

I play as a pyro or a heavy. Sometimes a medic if my team is dogshit and have 12 players without a single medic on the team...

Always up for a medic + heavy combo :P
    • tofu22
      tofu22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Krishjanis

TL;DR: Video games waste of time, use that time to play poker. No one IRL doesn't give a shit how hard you can own in a video game.
      poker is hard - video games easy. the trick is to first get addicted (what ever this means; more like really get interested in it) to poker then in your free free time when you really can't play any more poker, play video games.

or

take a few days off from poker and play video games (like a vacation)
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Damn my favourite game! I only play demoman with the longblade + the shield so i can charge and the boots so I can move when charging, killing heavys in one crit ftw :)
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      I hate video games, In the last 6 months I played about 600 hours of Black ops, MW2, Left 4 dead and Battlefield BC 2. If I spent all that time and energy I put into playing poker I would be in the november nine. Just saying to everyone who wants to try these games, they can suck you in, so you are better off playing poker. And don't say that you need to reveal stress so you will play something online, because you can only reveal stress if you are doing good. But before you start doing good, you will need to put a lot of time and effort in the game, before you can be on the top of the leaderboard, you will constantly get owned and that will make you even more angry and put you on tilt. Offcourse you might not be an idiot like me and you can actually control the time you spend playing, I'm just giving heads up to everyone who wants to try these multiplayer games, that the easiest way to not get addicted to something is not to even try it, and just because you are reading this forum, makes you a person that is serious enough about their poker game so the best thing is to put the time you would playing Team fortress 2 into playing poker, just because people will be more impressed about your high bankroll than your hat collection in Team fortress 2.

TL;DR: Video games waste of time, use that time to play poker. No one IRL doesn't give a shit how hard you can own in a video game.
      Seriously what is ur problem? life is about having fun etc etc, I like playing video games but that makes me a sweaty fat nerd right?

Waste of time? lol.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Heffron89
      Damn my favourite game! I only play demoman with the longblade + the shield so i can charge and the boots so I can move when charging, killing heavys in one crit ftw :)
      DemoKnight :D

I mostly play Spy,Sniper,Scout and the occasional Demo/heavy/Medic
    • Sekhel
      Sekhel
      Bronze
      There are competitive Team Fortress 2 leagues and cups also, aswell as LANs.

Actually, one of the biggest just happened a couple of days ago, on i43.

Oh, and btw, making an analogy (TF2 to poker):

-Pubs are like Play money - no one has any clue of what he's doing or what should he do, they don't know or understand the game mechanics, etc etc etc;

-Bottom lower teams on any league are like NL5 poker players: they absolutely suck, but are good enough to rape the players from the pubs.

For everyone interested in following the competitive scene, here's the community news and gossip site:
      http://www.vanillatf2.org/

In the last season on the European Team Fortress 2 League, there were over 350 teams playing. New season will start soon.

If you are raping the pubs and you're demoralized by how bad everyone play, or if you want to get better, try the competitive type of play.
      6on6, medic limit 1, demoman limit 1, other classes limit of 2 (but 95% of the time its 2 soldiers and 2 scouts), voice communication over Mumble, etc.

And Gerv, I admire you in poker, but I'm sorry to tell you this: you know nothing about TF2. :f_biggrin:
      For example, althought demoman is deadly in the hands of any competent gamer, the skill ceiling is much higher than any other class, because you don't only need decent aim but also excellent positioning and movement prediction, take in account that pipes don't shoot from the center of the screen and do the necessary adjustment, know how to do perfect stickies jumps and roll outs, etc.

Some hints:
      -In any team, the medic is the most important class. In most of the cases, if the medic dies, the team loses.
      -Next is the demoman - no one can deliver as much damage as him offensively, neither defend spots so well.
      -Soldiers althought usually the second most destructive class in pubs (just after demo), soldiers are the most underpowered class commonly used in competitive play. However, they are indispensable - especially to protect the medic (usually from the enemies scouts).

Source: I played competitively for years.
    • Sekhel
      Sekhel
      Bronze
      BTW, a frag vid from one of the best european teams 1-2 years ago:

• Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Awesome Ribbo! Just found something round here you're useful for! (j/k obv, you know I manLove (tm) you).

How the f do you rocket jump properly? Best tutorial vids anyone?

BTW that Sniper intro vid has one of the awesomest lines ever when he's talking on the phone to his Dad. Hooked me in.
    • Psderrr
      Psderrr
      Bronze
      Use to play this alot, if your in a server full of pretty crap people with a friend whos decent go medic/medic probably the most fun you can have in the game especially if you both have ubersaws since you can uber get 4 hits uber get 4 hits uber etc.
      It's really really hilarious.

And Gerv is right dude Demo is easy to learn, he never said it wasnt the hardest to master. But then again we all dont have to be Dr Justice
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Spy country part 2 uploaded! :f_biggrin:
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      I hate video games, In the last 6 months I played about 600 hours of Black ops, MW2, Left 4 dead and Battlefield BC 2. If I spent all that time and energy I put into playing poker I would be in the november nine. Just saying to everyone who wants to try these games, they can suck you in, so you are better off playing poker. And don't say that you need to reveal stress so you will play something online, because you can only reveal stress if you are doing good. But before you start doing good, you will need to put a lot of time and effort in the game, before you can be on the top of the leaderboard, you will constantly get owned and that will make you even more angry and put you on tilt. Offcourse you might not be an idiot like me and you can actually control the time you spend playing, I'm just giving heads up to everyone who wants to try these multiplayer games, that the easiest way to not get addicted to something is not to even try it, and just because you are reading this forum, makes you a person that is serious enough about their poker game so the best thing is to put the time you would playing Team fortress 2 into playing poker, just because people will be more impressed about your high bankroll than your hat collection in Team fortress 2.

Well I have played Counter-Strike since 2002 and it's been a mixture of bad and good things. I have met some great peeps through the game, it improved my social life by heading out to parties with people from the year above me - they only knew me as the "CS Pro" haha...

Just like with everything, you need to have a balance and discipline - poker can make you addicted as well and there you are playing with and for real money so consequences can be brutal.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sekhel
      There are competitive Team Fortress 2 leagues and cups also, aswell as LANs.

Actually, one of the biggest just happened a couple of days ago, on i43.

Oh, and btw, making an analogy (TF2 to poker):

-Pubs are like Play money - no one has any clue of what he's doing or what should he do, they don't know or understand the game mechanics, etc etc etc;

-Bottom lower teams on any league are like NL5 poker players: they absolutely suck, but are good enough to rape the players from the pubs.

For everyone interested in following the competitive scene, here's the community news and gossip site:
      http://www.vanillatf2.org/

In the last season on the European Team Fortress 2 League, there were over 350 teams playing. New season will start soon.

If you are raping the pubs and you're demoralized by how bad everyone play, or if you want to get better, try the competitive type of play.
      6on6, medic limit 1, demoman limit 1, other classes limit of 2 (but 95% of the time its 2 soldiers and 2 scouts), voice communication over Mumble, etc.

And Gerv, I admire you in poker, but I'm sorry to tell you this: you know nothing about TF2. :f_biggrin:
      For example, althought demoman is deadly in the hands of any competent gamer, the skill ceiling is much higher than any other class, because you don't only need decent aim but also excellent positioning and movement prediction, take in account that pipes don't shoot from the center of the screen and do the necessary adjustment, know how to do perfect stickies jumps and roll outs, etc.

Some hints:
      -In any team, the medic is the most important class. In most of the cases, if the medic dies, the team loses.
      -Next is the demoman - no one can deliver as much damage as him offensively, neither defend spots so well.
      -Soldiers althought usually the second most destructive class in pubs (just after demo), soldiers are the most underpowered class commonly used in competitive play. However, they are indispensable - especially to protect the medic (usually from the enemies scouts).

Source: I played competitively for years.

Yes this sums it up pretty good, I know abit more than ''nothing'' but I didn't came further than Div5 due exams. Demo is easy to play due the pub element: demospam though with good practice of aim you can double your kill rate and efficiency :D

I used to play Premier league on COD2/COD4 :( and one time I will be playing PL in TF2 :D
    • Sekhel
      Sekhel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv

Yes this sums it up pretty good, I know abit more than ''nothing'' but I didn't came further than Div5 due exams. Demo is easy to play due the pub element: demospam though with good practice of aim you can double your kill rate and efficiency :D

I used to play Premier league on COD2/COD4 :( and one time I will be playing PL in TF2 :D
      I'll coach you and make you at least a div3 player in 2 weeks, and you coach me and make me a NL200 winner in 2 weeks. Deal? :D

My f***ing university's wireless netwrk connection was awfull, so I had to quit playing TF2, but still know the theory... However, on the other hand, it was a good thing having a bad connection, otherwise I would never found poker!

Demospam is somewhat effective in pub maps, but you can spam effectively with every class apart from scout, sniper and spy anyway... And it's much more difficult to spam effectivelyon good maps, like Badlands.
      I just don't consider even acceptable any demoman that can't hit pipes on scouts without spamming, using the stickie launcher as an improved rocket launcher version or stickie jump properly. :facepalm: