Player Notes

• Abhorrence
      Abhorrence
      Silver
      I've started making a habit of keeping notes on other players. They've actually come in handy a few times when playing really loose players who like to CALL everything.

Anyway my question is what sort of notes do you keep? I'm sort of in the dark here really. Like should I write in depth notes about what they did? Or what? Give me some examples that any of you may use.
  • 10 replies
    • daun666
      daun666
      Bronze
      Write anything that you find useful for yourself.
      For example I play hu sng and my notes look smtx like that:
      Checked 2nd pair(K) in position otf, ott, otr after my checks ob dry board.
      donkbet = 80% means 2nd or bottom pair
      small bets = weak, big bets = strong
      3bet very light or 3bet very strong
      plays draws passive or agressive
      or once played guy who was difficult to beat. But I found that he has big problems facing check raise otf so my note = to beat - checkraise flop light
    • philhellmutt
      philhellmutt
      Bronze
      One thing taht's helped me is using short-hand notes for things that you can't see in the HUD.

I like to arrange these for each street, with a general player note on the first line. For example:

1 tbl
      PF: 3B=TT, 99, AJs, Limp/3B=AA
      F: AI=TPWK, SP=S, FH
      R: BL=made FL

This is my code for plays just one table so maybe recreational player, 3-bets reasonably wide, thinks he's 'clever' with AA/KK, on the flop he may stack off lightly and slowplay sets and full-house, while on the river sometimes bluffs scare cards like 3rd flush card even if he doesn't have it. Maybe you understood the above anyways... :D

Whatever saves you time, and something you can understand easily.
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      I personally feel it's quite important to include a rough date in the notes, as just like you, many opponents grow in their abilities.

Something like:

30/8/11- pfr-cb50% 37Jr, -cb50% Ts, c/c Th w/35o
    • Pascal
      Pascal
      Bronze
      some nice posts already :-)
      in addition to the date I'd like to also note the limit and game type I played
      as it makes quite a difference if I play him on 2/4 FL or NL25
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Pascal
      some nice posts already :-)
      in addition to the date I'd like to also note the limit and game type I played
      as it makes quite a difference if I play him on 2/4 FL or NL25
      Amazing extra input, I hadn't thought about that! Thanks!
    • Abhorrence
      Abhorrence
      Silver
      Thanks for the replies so far. I'm definitely going to start doing what you guys are doing. I always underestimate notes, but on the platform I'm using I've noticed a lot of the same players already even at the micro tables. :f_cool:
    • philhellmutt
      philhellmutt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fruktpuff
      I personally feel it's quite important to include a rough date in the notes, as just like you, many opponents grow in their abilities.

Something like:

30/8/11- pfr-cb50% 37Jr, -cb50% Ts, c/c Th w/35o
      Nice!

Never really thought much about that, but it could be important.
    • LooserSR
      LooserSR
      Bronze
      my notes looks like :

UTG limp/call K :diamond: JT7 :diamond: flop J :diamond: 9 :spade: 2 :spade: c/c 3/4 pot, turn 3 :heart: c/c 3/4 pot, river A :spade: bluff donk pot

and my question : i really need to make notes in graphic form(exactly like in my example), is it possible here in ps make closed thread/private blog where i can write graphic notes on players ? or other ideas how to do it ?
      its so much quicker to see notes on plo hands in 4 color graphic form(compared to KdJT7d) on villains past hands during actual playing.
    • jdnismo
      jdnismo
      Bronze
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sss/1281/1/

That's a really good article for notes, mainly the 2nd page if you're looking for a system that's concise but effective.
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      you might also think about this article if you're an MTT player. Fresh off the press from MiikkaAnttonen:

Taking Notes is the Nuts!