$2.85
      CO:
      $5.96
      BU (Hero):
      $9.00
      SB:
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, K.
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $1.00, 3 folds, 2 folds, CO folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.45.

Not much to analyse here, I basically just posted this because I'm not sure this is the right way to play PPs pf like I did here. Is there an article on how to play these? Normally strategy tells us to do as I did here (maybe even make a slightly higher raise), but about 90% of the time I 3-bet, the other guy folds his hand, or if I am the first raiser, I just pick up the blinds. Should I continue playing KK and AA like this, or should I just call and hope for his bluff or a bet post flop?
  • 3 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      General rule of thumb is, it is better to win a small pot than lose a huge one.

Lets say you give the big blind a free look with aces, hoping to pick up some money post flop. The flop comes out 2 7 J.

The BB bets, you raise, he raises, you shove he calls - and turns J2o, a nice big blind special for all your money.

There are some situations where it can be better to flat with KK or AA to a 2 or 3 bet - I use "On3betfold" on my elephant HUD for just that reason, and also have Squeeze% up so I know if a call might be profitable by encouraging someone behind me to squeeze raise - but generally you just want to play these hands fairly straight forward, especially at micro limits against mostly unknown players.

What if he opened with AJo and the flop came KQT rainbow? You arn't easily folding your overpair and are probably going to lose a stack, when by raising you won 45 cents preflop.

Actually I have a great hand that I played just 4 days ago that shows why you should almost never trap with AA.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $11.27
      BU:
      $9.85

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J:spade: , T:spade:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 2 folds, BU calls $0.40, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.95) K:spade: , 9:club: , 4:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.72, BU calls $0.72.

Turn: ($2.39) Q:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.82, BU raises to $3.84, Hero raises to $10.15 (All-In), BU calls $4.89 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

River: ($19.85) 3:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $19.85

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a straight, king high (Js Ts)
      BU shows (Ah As)

Hero wins with a straight, king high (Js Ts)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Tunatic,

There wont be a reason here not to 3bet ever. :D Do you really want to play for set-value with Kings? Standard 3bet. :) With slowplaying you are just trapping yourself.

Best regards.
    • Tunatic
      Tunatic
      Bronze
      True, thanks, both of you.