[NL20-NL50] NL25 J7s - percieved blindwar

• Jaissica
      Known players:

0.1/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with J:spade: , 7:spade:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, BB raises to $3.00, Hero calls $2.00.

Flop: ($6.00) T:diamond: , 9:diamond: , 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $3.75, Hero raises to $7.50, BB raises to $22.00 (All-In), Hero...?

Ignore the preflop play, because I know it is horrible - shouldn't be continuing with J7s, but I am watching Die Hard and it is having a reckless effect on my play.

Thoughts on hero action to the shove?
  • 6 replies
    • Bierbaer
      Step 1: call 3bet OOP with J7s.
      Step 2: ???
      Step 3: ??????????

On a serious note: Yes, fold preflop obv.

As played on the flop you should be aware that by checkraising you're turning your hand into a bluff.
      I really dislike the min-checkraise on the flop because you don't only rep nothing, you also give him great odds.
      So imo you'd have to checkraise to something like at least $11 to make your play credible, but in this case you're almost committed.
      => It all comes down to the problem that you called with a very weak hand preflop.

In my opinion a c/f on the flop is the best play - anything else is based purely on speculations vs an unknown opponent who is likely a reg and showed a lot of strength by 3betting preflop and cbetting on a very drawy board.
    • BigOVERBET
      fold or 4bet preflop...rather fold
    • wazawanga
      dont fold to 3bet preflop ..... FOLD THIS GARBAGE WHEN THE ACTION IS CLEAR TO YOU
      J7s is loose open from SB , you have to have complete fish in BB to open this
    • Maniatrix
      you have to have complete NIT in BB to open this
    • Jaissica
      Originally posted by Maniatrix
      you have to have complete NIT in BB to open this
      Well, not really. Waza's quote is more accurate (fish).

You see, vs a nit you are opening any two cards to steal blinds as they are not defending without their regular cold call (maybe 2%) and 3bet (2%) ranges. You raise-fold every single hand for easy profit.

However nits are not the only players who never defend their blinds. At NL25 up to half of all "regulars" - TAGFish - never defend their blinds either. So a 15-12 (3% 3bet) villain with a 95% fold BB to steal - attack them with any two.

Some days I don't even wait for the stats on a player's fold BB to steal and just attack them with any two until they fight back. This was one of those days.

The re-call was a poor call. After deciding to press the villain with the raise on the flop (hell, I hit the flop and Ax hands that missed should fold) he puts me all in. His hand range at this point is something like ATs, JJ+.

Vs ATs, JJ+ we have 30.31% equity and only have to call 29% to complete the shove action.

In actual fact hero called believing I had a thin +EV call (later justified by equilab). Villain turned QQ, giving the hero about 31% equity. Hero caught an 8 on the river and took down the pot.
    • Maniatrix
      Just because someone has a high fold to steal doesn't mean they have a high BB fold to steal vs SB. There's a big difference. I usually give up my blind vs a CO or BU steal but almost never vs an SB open. Still, my fold vs steal is around 78. Position is everything.

And again, no to the complete fish. Because the complete fish will call you down light so there is no point in doing anything that is not for value against him when you don't have position. Fishes love to call and make weird minraises. Nits on the other hand love to fold right away or at least see a flop and then fold to a cbet unless they hit their set.

Of course, calling the 3bet OOP with J7s is lighting fire to money. 250BB deep from the BU I'd be more inclined to call.