Dongsim

• DONGSIM
      DONGSIM
      Bronze
      Hi,

I live in Switzerland and have been playing for a while now. But without any success. Too fishy and unable to adept the aggressivity of the opponents. My stats look terrible. But the hobby is nice and the chats
      are funny.

So i decided to start from scratch and attend the NL Beginner Course.

Best Regards,

DONGSIM
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Question 1:What is your motivation for playing poker?
      A nice hobby; applied mathematics; fun; a little pocketmoney; dealing with figures and logic. Chat with opponents.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • 22 replies
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Hi DONGSIM,

Great to hear you've decided to join the BSS school :)

I think I read your post on here before you edited it... and I liked it! Something about being an amazing player in your head? It made me chuckle, because that's how I think too!

I'm sure you'll enjoy this course, and you'll get a lot out of it :)

Best regards,

Jim
    • DONGSIM
      DONGSIM
      Bronze
      Question 1:What is your motivation for playing poker?
      A nice hobby; applied mathematics; fun; a little pocketmoney; dealing with figures and logic. Chat with opponents.
      Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Lacking of adeption to aggressive opponents.
      If opponents 3bet or even 4 bet with high amounts i start panicing and fold... Further: Tilting after on or two lost hands and feelings like frustration. For example u loose AA against a street...
      Further: to much coldcalling and limping ¨"let us look what happens..."
      Andsoon
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive? ?
      A player plays only good, very good, monster hands. He will play those
      hands aggressivily; means betting; overbetting even if the board does not match his hand or the board is dry.

LESSON 2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?
      Answer: I would extend the SHC a little bit: A8;A9;9T(s) i would raise in late position; no reraise. Why: These hands are playing well and easy to fold if you do not match the board.

Question 2 AQ bad play[/URL]

Question 3:What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?
      Answer: 46% calculated with Equilab.
      my question: How can i calculate myself???
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      LESSON3

Question1:Answer:P reflop Equity 51%
      Postflop Equity 26%
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Question2:I play this hand calculating odds and outs.
      Pot after turn= 0,25+0,22+0,44 = 0,91.
      Outs: 9 outs for the Flushdraw.
      I cannot count 4 outs for the 4 because they would help my
      opponent with devastating result.
      9 outs mean 4:1 with one card to come. This means that
      i make the hand once in 5 cases.
      So all in all i invest 5x0,22 in order to win once 0,91 .
      Result: FOLD because pottodds < pot but the result is close.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 3:
      JA out of position
      LESSON 4
      Question 1
      jJQ barrel on the turn?-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Question 2
      NL2 - JJ again
      Question 3
      My Equity is in this case: 41 %
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      LESSON 5
      Question 1:
      Playing with a draw heavy board
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Question 2: JA: Continuation Bet against 2 passive opponents?
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/addreply.php?postid=859901
      Question 3: I raise on the turn. I need to protect my flush. The river coard could bring another diamond that could devaluate my hand.
      BB seems to be a coldcaller.
      SB seems to play reasonable. We are behind against JJ,TT, 3T and other cards that could complete a full house.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Question 4: This time the board is draw heavy. So i protect my hand and raise high. A little less than potsize.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      LESSON6
      Question 1: Still to come
      Question 2: Still to come
      Question 3: The opponent seems to be a calling station. I call the turn and
      fold the river if the oponent bets again
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Most of the other weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

I'd advice you as well then even raise with SCs (higher ones). Since actually they are even much better hands than just AXs ones. :) But making those kind of adjustments are totally fine. I would even consider isolating with them very often.

About how you can calculate yourself:
      Do you want to do it during the game or just for the math part? But practically it's done with knowing how many cards are in deck and how many you have, how many you know, what kind of hand does the opponent have. So a lot of math actually.

But if you are thinking how you can do that during the game then you can't really. You have to have experience yourself, either maybe analyzing different hands. Posting your hands to the Hand Evaluation forums. All kind of experience will allow you to do on the tables such calculations by head, you will likely remember the math you did after have done it several times. There are a lot of situations in poker which will come again and again.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • DONGSIM
      DONGSIM
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz,

Please have a look at my homework lesson 3 and lesson 4.

Thanks.

Dongsim
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by DONGSIM
      Hi Veriz,

Please have a look at my homework lesson 3 and lesson 4.

Thanks.

Dongsim
      Oh, by the way would be nice if you just posted a new thread. :) Don't edit it. I wont see when you edit the post. :(
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
    • DONGSIM
      DONGSIM
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz,

From now on i will create new threads every time i cmpleted a lesson.

In the meantime i completed lesson 5.
      Could you have a look at it??

Best regards,

DongSim
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Good luck on tables and with the School. Some more points earned.
    • DONGSIM
      DONGSIM
      Bronze
      LESSON6
      Question 1:
      J9(s) slow play?
      Question 2:
      NL10 JJ Fold
      Question 3: The opponent seems to be a calling station. I call the turn and
      fold the river if the oponent bets again
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Just post when you ready with the 6th. So I will take a look.
    • DONGSIM
      DONGSIM
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz,

Lesson 6 is ready now. Can you have a look?

I have to carry out lesson 7 and lesson 8 later on. I have to go for a
      business trip abroad and does not come back until end of November.

Is this ok for you?

Best regards and thanks.

DongSim
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #6 Done!

About Question #3:
      Two lines can quickly be discarded here: fold and raise/fold; your hand is simply too strong for those alternatives.

It's hard to assess whether you should put in a raise here. When a rather passive player decides to bet into three players while being out of position, it does look strong. It's more likely an indication of a made hand than that of a draw.

A raise naturally protects, but you run the risk of isolating yourself against very strong range. Which weaker hands could your opponent possibly continue playing here?

The deciding factor finally comes in the size of the pot. This tiny pot simply isn't worth putting yourself into a tough spot where you could potentially end up risking your entire stack. A raise would be overplayed here and pot control takes the precedent over protection.

Best of Luck on the tables and with the Course. Some more points earned.
    • DONGSIM
      DONGSIM
      Bronze
      Lesson 7

Question 1:
      Second Barrel with pocket pairs?
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Question 2. NL4 Q5s BB steal?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Question 3: If hero goes Allin he needs to invest 8,80 in order to participate in a 22 pot. The required equity would be 8,80 / (22 + 8,80)
      = 29 %.
      The hand analysis with equilab (my hands against the board on the flop)however provides an equity of ca. 40 %. A call would be +EV.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 4:

Ak against A44 on the board.
      I set the opponent on Ax handrange and -of course- 4x.
      I would continue with e reraise on the flop without going broke.
      If the opponent 3 bets i would give up.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Just update when it's done. :)
    • DONGSIM
      DONGSIM
      Bronze
      Hi Veris,

Lesson 7 has been accomplished.
      Please have a look on it.
      me i have big problems with small pocket pairs. I have to review the corresponding article in the silver section.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Dongsim
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #7 Done!

About Question #3:
      In this case, you decided to bet out yourself and two players behind you go all-in. You would have to invest $8.40 in order to participate in a $22 pot, which corresponds to an equity of 27.63%.

Board: Q 3 2
      Dead:

Equity Win DrawLoss Hand
      Player 1: 38.538% 38.538% 0.000% 61.462% 5h4h
      Player 2: 14.540% 14.540% 0.000% 85.460% QQ+
      Player 3: 46.921% 46.921% 0.000% 53.079% 22-33

You get the required odds even when you're exclusively up against very strong hands!

About Question #4:
      Top pair / top kicker has been and will always be a hand that's tough to play, especially in a multi-way pot. In this case, you've hit a nice flop, but you're up against 3 opponents on a dry board which doesn't allow for any dangerous draws.

A fold on this board is, of course, too weak. You can't really hit much better and there might be worse Ax hands willing to pay you off.

If you think that your opponent(s) is/are often willing to go broke on the flop with worse hands, raising might not be the worst of choices. But one thing is clear: if you raise, you have to go all-in on the flop! Raise/fold with your top pair is absolutely out of question.

Even though this might leave a bitter aftertaste in a 4-way pot, you should play this like a way ahead / way behind spot here - by playing it passive, you will extract the maximum from weaker hands and bluffs while avoiding big losses against stronger hands.

Best of Luck on the Tables. Some more points earned.
    • DONGSIM
      DONGSIM
      Bronze
      Question 1
      NL5 A5s
      Question 2
      KQ(s) out of position
      Question 3
      The hand is so strong that hero should go broke and put all his chips into
      the middle. He takes the risk that BB has a better flush than him. But the
      propability is quite low. he would have bet on the river.
      If hero checks he could induce a bluff bet with inpredictable implications.
      I guess BB has a top pair with a flushdraw.