[NL2-NL10] [NL2 BSS] Top pair turn & river play

• Elertar
      Cassava Poker $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players - View hand 1428518
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BB: $2.00
      UTG: $4.51
      UTG+1: $2.85
      MP1: $2.00
      Hero (MP2): $2.00
      CO: $1.63
      BTN: $2.14
      SB: $3.18

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP2 with K:heart: A:diamond:
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.02, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.10, 4 folds, UTG+1 calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.23) K:diamond: 3:club: 3:heart: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0.11, UTG+1 calls $0.11

Turn: ($0.45) T:spade: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.45) Q:spade: (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.66

On the flop, I contibet 1/2 pot, because of the dry board. On the turn, as the board was still looking very dry, I decided to check behind in order to induce a bluff on the river. Finally, on the river I considered the bet of the villain a block bet and raised.

I've got a couple of questions about my play:

1. In the turn, some hands like QJ or AJ could have obtained a draw, although they don't look likely because of the call in the flop. With no reads of your opponent, should I have to protect the hand again, or even bet for value instead of checking behind?

2. On the river, the Q doesn't look like the best card for me, as it could have hit hands like QQ or KQ. On the other hand, the bet of the villain is quite small (I read that as a sign of weakness). Was raising the right thing to do? And how about the size of the raise? Was it good?

Thank you in advance.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello Elertar,

Welcome to the NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Flop: Guess I would still bet a bit bigger ~$0,16. If he is a station then he will anyways pay even with PPs.
      Turn: As you bet that smallish on flop then I would very likely continue betting here for value.
      River: What worse hand do you expect him to Call you if you raise here? Myself I don't like the raise here.

Best regards.