oracle1785

• oracle1785
      oracle1785
      Bronze
      hi guys, my name is Pasquale, i'm italian and i'm 26 years old. I started playing poker about one year ago and at the beginning i played excusively tournaments (freerolls) just for fun. After some time i decided to play poker seriously, then i started to study sit and go basic strategy and so i gained some money. Now i'm playing cash game nl2 and i like it a lot so i started to study bss to improve my self and became a strong player.
      PS. sorry for my english :D
  • 12 replies
    • oracle1785
      oracle1785
      Bronze
      homework1

What is your motivation for playing poker?
      i play poker for earning money (i want to buy an iphone4 :) and i hope that sooner or later i will buy it) and also when i play poker i have a lot of fun :) :) .

What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      When i play poker i notice that i do some errors in post flop decisions caused by a wrong evaluation of opponent hand range. Some time, expecially when i have top pair and middle kicker, i overplay my hand and at the showdown i lost a lot of money :( . Another big weakness is that when i lost money i don't stop playing because i want to earn the money losts but in this way my losses increases.

What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?
      Tight-aggressive is a game strategy in which a player plays only selected hands that are stronger respect to the other. A part of this strategy is to play aggressively (bet and/or raise with strong hands) because an opponent does more mistakes when has to take difficult decisions, and more mistakes our opponents does and greater is our profit. Finally, with tag strategy a player takes in account his position respect to other players because if you play last you know the actions of your opponents and so you can use those information to take the right decision .

This strategy work because
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Hi oracle1785,

Firstly, welcome to the course! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here, and you'll improve greatly :)

Secondly, and importantly, your English is great! So don't worry about it :) And any questions or parts where you don't understand how it's worded, just ask, and someone will be able to help you out :)

"Another big weakness is that when i lost money i don't stop playing because i want to earn the money losts but in this way my losses increases."

Definitely a leak of many players. But through this course you will certainly gain discipline, and learn how to control these types of "tilt" and feeling towards winning your money back.

Good luck on the course, I wish you every success!

Best regards,

Jim
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Setting some kind of goals is a great idea. Maybe even someday buying the iPhone will motivate you to play even more. :) Hopefully we will get that far.

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Most of the other weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • oracle1785
      oracle1785
      Bronze
      homework2:
      Question1:
      Of course. When we start playing poker, initially we base our preflop decisions only according to the SHC because it tells us how play in standard situation in which we can get +EV, but when we get more experienced, in some case we play differently from SHC because we consider other information (oppontents stack, position, opponents note,aggressivity) thanks to which we obtain an higher EV than that of SHC.
      For istance is the case of blind stealing.For example if we are on SB and all other player fold, with al lot hands the SHC tell us o call or fold, but if we notice that the player on BB is very tight we can open our hand range and do a raise with a lot of hands because the opponent will fold his cards a lot of time. In this way we get more profit from what the SHC says.

Question3:

Equity wins draw
      SB 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
      BB 46.32% 37.91% 8.41% { AKo }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

If you need any help with posting hands then feel free to ask how to do that. :)

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • oracle1785
      oracle1785
      Bronze
      Homework 2 - Question 2 : AK UTG vs squeeze BTN
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by oracle1785
      Homework 2 - Question 2 : AK UTG vs squeeze BTN
      Well done! :) Added the points. Hopefully you did like the Hand Evaluation section.
    • oracle1785
      oracle1785
      Bronze
      Homework 3:
      1- My preflop equity with KsQs vs 3d3c is:
      Equity win tie
      SB 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% KsQs
      BB 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% 3d3c
      instead in postflop my equity decreases to:
      Equity win tie
      SB 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% KsQs
      BB 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% 3d3c

2- I would call because after BB raises the pot is 0.91$, then if i hit the flush on the river i probably win the hand so i've 4:1 odds for the flush, i must put in the pot 0.22$ for calling so i've 4.13:1 pot odds , then pot odds > odds so it's an easy call :) .
    • oracle1785
      oracle1785
      Bronze
      homework 3-
      3- AQo,on turn oppo raise, should i call???
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • oracle1785
      oracle1785
      Bronze
      homework 4:

2-http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/addreply.php?threadid=152375

1-http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=152401

3-

Board: 8:heart: J:spade: 9:club:
             Equity  Win  tie
      SB     41.41%   41.41%     0.00% { KsQd }
      BB     58.59%   58.59%     0.00% { 7h7c }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.