Leak With Ak

• TeddyTaiwan
      TeddyTaiwan
      Silver
      From the starting hands chart it says so re raise with AK from any position no matter if there were raises before you.

Ive been trying to stick to that but a few hands today in heads up pots went as follows:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP1:
      $2
      Hero:
      $4.28

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.104 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:club: , K:heart:
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.08, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.24, 2 folds, MP1 calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.51) 8:club: , 7:diamond: , 6:club: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.36, MP1 calls $0.36.

Turn: ($1.23) 5:spade: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.23) 6:diamond: (2 players)
      MP1 bets $1.17, Hero folds, MP1 gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Final Pot: $1.23

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG2:
      $1.7
      Hero:
      $2.04

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.104 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:heart: , K:club:
      UTG2 raises to $0.06, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.18, 3 folds, UTG2 calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.39) Q:heart: , J:club: , 3:spade: (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero bets $0.3, UTG2 calls $0.30.

Turn: ($0.99) 5:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.99) 5:club: (2 players)
      UTG2 bets $1.22 (All-In), Hero folds, UTG2 gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Final Pot: $0.99

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP1:
      $2.77
      Hero:
      $2

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:heart: , K:heart:
      MP1 calls $0.02, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, 2 folds, MP1 calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.23) Q:heart: , 5:spade: , 3:club: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.16, MP1 raises to $0.42, Hero folds, MP1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.55

Is it still profitable to re raise with AK?
      If you don't hit on the flop there is not point in C-betting seeming as some has called and you haven't hit?

Wouldn't it be better to just call and hit the A or the K and value bet?
      Usually loose a large portion of my stack re raising and not hitting and c betting and getting called and giving up on the turn.

Any thoughts?
  • 3 replies
    • jdnismo
      jdnismo
      Bronze
      You played those hands fine imo. You often will miss the flop but still should c-bet, unless you're against a calling station, if you c-bet against the right type of player e.g. if their foldVscbet% is high, or if their WTSD% is low, you will make a profit.

In all 3 hands you don't really have enough of a sample on your opponents to draw any conclusions, but being in position, you should still c-bet a large % of the time.

Originally posted by TeddyTaiwan

Is it still profitable to re raise with AK?

Wouldn't it be better to just call and hit the A or the K and value bet?
      Usually loose a large portion of my stack re raising and not hitting and c betting and getting called and giving up on the turn.
      No, it's not better to just call pre-flop and wait to hit an A or K, and I'll tell you why. In the examples, you are very likely to have a better hand than your opponent, and thus you want to get money in the pot with the best hand right? This is like what the fundamental theorem of poker states:

Every time you play a hand differently from the way you would have played it if you could see all your opponents' cards, they gain; and every time you play your hand the same way you would have played it if you could see all their cards, they lose. Conversely, every time opponents play their hands differently from the way they would have if they could see all your cards, you gain; and every time they play their hands the same way they would have played if they could see all your cards, you lose.

So if your opponents are calling your raises preflop with worse hands than yours, that will translate as a profit for you, as they will likely miss the flop and fold to your cbet, OR they will hit the flop and you will have them dominated. This is why you want to raise AK for value preflop.

It may seem like your cbets are always getting called and I thought exactly what you are thinking when I first started playing, and I was frustrated because my cbets were always getting called. But you have to remember that there is a reason why the cbet is so widely used and why it's integral to any player's strategy. Once you play loads of hands, you'll soon realise that a lot of your profit comes from opponents folding o your cbets, just make sure you don't cbet all the time, ideally around 65%-80%. Did you read the article on flop play when you have the initiative? Maybe in example 1, it's not such a good idea to cbet on such a board, in the article you can see what are the good types of flop to cbet on.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1565/1/

Trust me, you're just getting a bit unlucky that you're getting called down so much right now, but if people are still calling you when you have the nuts, then good for you :P
    • signofape
      signofape
      Bronze
      don't cbet your ak on the 1st hand.
      check fold.
      hand 2 and hand 3 looks fine.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Agree, dont c-bet the first hand unless your very sure you can get a fold. The board is very draw heavy so there are a lot of hands your opponent is willing to see a turn with, even if you bet pot. I would normally only bet a board that draw heavy if I had actually hit something, in order to protect.